Talk

Advanced search

To think that this is the idea punishment for those involved in the riots and looting recently in the Uk

(15 Posts)
pigletmania Tue 23-Aug-11 23:25:39

Not a good idea in this case of the 10 year old boy, but I think its an ideal punishment for those causing devastation and violence during the riots.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029105/Townsville-mother-makes-son-wear-humiliating-Im-thief-sign.html

pigletmania Tue 23-Aug-11 23:25:59

sorry meant ideal

fiodyl Tue 23-Aug-11 23:33:38

could do with one of those signs for exP.............

Birdsgottafly Wed 24-Aug-11 01:22:27

So she has labled him as a thief? and this will help him to change how?

Since when did humiliation help? He will walk through the streets being ridiculed and possibly bullied when he goes back to school, this will certainly not make him rethink his behaviour.

Thumbwitch Wed 24-Aug-11 01:28:29

Agree with Birds, sorry. I don't see how that will help - it will just make them angry, humiliated and probably burning for revenge.

I think the punishment should fit the crime, myself - I think the looters should be made to repair the damage, replace the goods, clean the streets etc. - they created the problem, they should fix it.

AgentZigzag Wed 24-Aug-11 01:33:31

I had humiliation as a punishment regularly meted out to me as a child, and it was the one thing I've been determined never to do to my own children.

I'd rather have had the alternative and been hit with a wooden spoon any day of the week, not because being hit was any easier, but it didn't cause so many negative effects years after.

There are much kinder and more effective ways of dealing with why a child might steal something.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 24-Aug-11 02:58:49

What has happened to that child is barbaric.

IMO, the most effective punishment for adults who commit acts of theft would be to be compelled to pay back the full value of the goods they steal regardless of any custodial sentence being handed down.

For those who are working but are unable to pay in full, restitution should be made by an attachment of earnings order.

The benefits paid to claimants who are convicted of theft should be reduced in favour of their victims.

Passport holders should have their passports confiscated and any applications for a new passport should be deferred until such time as full restitution is made.

If thieves are made to pay back the proceeds of their crimes, and are prevented from enjoying trips abroad/foreign holidays until such time as they have done so, they may get the message that 'crime doesn't pay'.

MadamDeathstare Wed 24-Aug-11 03:12:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigletmania Wed 24-Aug-11 08:29:54

I meant for the rioters and looters not little boy. What about the devastation they caused to peoples lives, they should be made to feel shame for what they did. I think that we are too soft, the only people I feel sorry for in all this are those who were affected by the riots and who had their lives ripped apart

Thumbwitch Wed 24-Aug-11 10:51:15

Piglet, it's a nice idea to try and make people who do shit things feel ashamed of themselves, but actually you can't force them to. What they feel is down to them - and humiliation will not necessarily induce feelings of shame/ashamedness, in some cases it will more likely produce anger, resentment, humiliation (not the same as shame). These are not productive emotions and are more likely to fuel a negative behaviour turn than a positive one.

I'd far rather they were brought face to face with the damage they have done to people - to their homes, their livelihoods and in some cases themselves. Force them to make restitution - give them the opportunity to understand what they have done to people, ordinary people like their own families.

cornsilx Wed 24-Aug-11 10:53:18

I think that's awful -poor child.

gorionine Wed 24-Aug-11 11:00:19

I do not think it will help anyone, least of all the people who have been looted and lost pretty much everything. No, the looter and rioter should just be made to repare everything they damaged and money should be takenn from them monthly to pay back for lost income/lost property they inflicted on people.

The story in the op is shocking BTW!

pigletmania Wed 24-Aug-11 11:09:25

It is sad on a child like that. There are some good suggestions, mabey it will make those who have been affected feel that they are being punished

grubbalo Wed 24-Aug-11 11:26:07

Do you really think as well that some idiot who has done that kind of thing (i.e. rioting etc) would really care about wearing something like that? Isnt't there just the likelihood it would become more of a bage of honour to them (a bit like how having an ASBO was seen by some as a source of pride).

I agree with some of the others, make them do something useful like tidying up the mess they've created. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can be annoyed that my taxes are being wasted on keeping some of these people in prison (and I mean by that e.g. first time offenders who were stupid or naive like that lad yesterday who'd had a mesage on his facebook status for 20 minutes about going out and burning police cars - he's guilty of utter stupidity rather than actual violence, and I resent the fact he's costing the country about £6,000 to keep him in prison for 8 weeks). Surely more productive to get him out and about doing something useful.

2shoes Wed 24-Aug-11 11:28:30

sorry I think it is horrid.
reminds me of the stocks tbh.
making him do something useful in the community might be a better idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now