Talk

Advanced search

not to let dd (age 3) have things like marbles and carrier bags in her room?

(83 Posts)
afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 21:53:18

She is pretty sensible but obviously has her unpredictable silly moments. I only let her play with small toys that she could choke on where I can keep an eye on her and she's not allowed them in her room to play with at bedtime. A friend of hers (same age) has plastic bags, coins and all kinds in her room. AIBU overprotective and unreasonable?

worraliberty Tue 23-Aug-11 21:54:58

Does the fact you don't allow your child to have them in her room cause any kind of problem?

BluddyMoFo Tue 23-Aug-11 21:55:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdsgottafly Tue 23-Aug-11 21:58:05

No you are not BU, she doesn't need marbles or plastic bags in her room. Why take the chance on an accident happening? I am quite a lax parent btw.

TBH the more bits that they have the more mess that they make and the longer it takes to keep clean, if anyone asks, use that as the reason for her not to have them, so it does not look like you are criticising yout friend.

afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 21:58:09

Not really aside from a bit of whinging??? if she wants to take them up there but it's usually short-lived as she knows my rules! Just wondering what is normal really cos I do suffer from anxiety and often worry about things when there's no need.

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Aug-11 21:58:55

hmm my nearly 4 year old and his 2 year old brother have marbles and plastic bags in their room

but that's partly because they have an older brother,

i don't think ds1 did at that age.

worraliberty Tue 23-Aug-11 22:00:22

If it doesn't cause any problems, I don't really get why you're asking?

If you feel she's safer without them, that's great.

What your friend decides for her child is up to her.

Meglet Tue 23-Aug-11 22:01:51

Yanbu. I certainly wouldn't let my almost 3yo DD have them in her room. Or her 4yo brother.

afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 22:02:11

I was asking because if everyone said YABU then I might chill a bit and let her take stuff up I wouldn't have allowed.

BluddyMoFo Tue 23-Aug-11 22:02:12

afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 22:04:05

Not my only one unfortunately BluddyMoFo as I mentioned I do suffer with anxiety so spend pretty much all of most days worrying about things related to my kids big and small but feel free to take the piss if it makes you feel good.

TrompetteMilitaire Tue 23-Aug-11 22:04:47

YABcompletelyR. I still don't let mine have carrier bags now, and they're 9 and 7. I also cut the cord on DD's roller blind. grin

Millie1 Tue 23-Aug-11 22:05:29

YANBU!

BluddyMoFo Tue 23-Aug-11 22:06:03

limetrees Tue 23-Aug-11 22:08:29

YANBU. I have a 3yo and 5yo. Silly for plastic bags to be in their rooms IMO - they do say to keep away from children for a reason! Marbles, I would prefer kept downstairs.

Coins, I would feel a bit less stressed about as both my kids love coins and are quite used to playing with them.

Actually, I would say that it is pretty stupid to allow a 3yo to play with a plastic bag unsupervised at bedtime. My 3yo is sensible and she my 2nd child but I would not allow her to do this.

madrose Tue 23-Aug-11 22:09:17

i don't, I don't even have marbles at home, even though I loved them as a child. When i was at primary school, I witnessed a friend choke on a marble and it causing oxygen depriviation and brain damage - so i feel uncomfitable around marbles.

Go with your instincts - i wouldn't have plastic bags in her room either.

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 23-Aug-11 22:09:46

YANBU

My 3 yo DD has small stuff that she might choke on, but I'm not worried about that because she doesn't put stuff like that in her mouth anymore.

Plastic bags I would not let her have in her room. I'm always having to give out to DH for leaving them easily accessible. I'm not sure why I fear them, but I can imagine her getting into trouble with one.

It's funny when they're 3 and you don't have to keep such a close eye on them, isn't it?

DD2 is 1 and although she is utterly clueless (or maybe because) I don't worry about her so much - I have to watch her all the time anyway, so she might as well be playing in a room full of staple guns and open water.

TrompetteMilitaire Tue 23-Aug-11 22:10:19

I'd also avoid those dreadful magnetic things (Magnetix??) as they do frightful things to children if they swallow them. sad

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 23-Aug-11 22:10:38

Is this just a bit of a slagging-off-by-stealth?

TrompetteMilitaire Tue 23-Aug-11 22:10:56

No, I think that's a mean interpretation.

afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 22:11:43

I really don't want you to gasp at my friend at all. She's absolutely lovely and far saner than me. If I wanted you to gasp at my 'friend' who I assume you are implying doesn't exist I think I could have thought up something a wee bit more shocking!

MissVerinder Tue 23-Aug-11 22:12:59

YANBU.

I too have chopped the cord off the blinds, Trompette!

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 23-Aug-11 22:13:43

What's to gasp at?

The friend isn't unreasonable either - these are the fine judgement calls of parenting.

Maybe boring to people not on their first 3 year old, but hardly worth such sourness, surely?

afraidnotscared Tue 23-Aug-11 22:14:50

No magnets here either!

SheCutOffTheirTails - that's my dilema really because I can't remember the last time dd put anything she shouldn't in her mouth. I know it's a lot more about my worring than any actual risk.

Portofino Tue 23-Aug-11 22:14:51

I have a 7yo. I would go with marbles but NOT carrier bags, She has a high bed - ie with space, desk underneath, so I am also conscious of scarves, bit of string etc. I don't make a THING of it. I just check these things aren't present. She has a broken arm and hence a sling thing at the mo. I am a bit careful about that.

And I am NOT a neurotic parent at all. My dd plays outside and does trips away for example, at an age where many wouldn't countenance it. I do think though that bags, strings in their own room are more of a risk (as reported) than being abducted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now