Talk

Advanced search

to think that I shouldn't have to listen to someone breathing!

(25 Posts)
goinggreennotgrey Tue 23-Aug-11 12:56:48

May seem petty, but the woman who sits next to me in the office breaths so loudly that I can hear every breath. It's driving me insane!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 23-Aug-11 12:57:56

Could you ask her not to do it?

pictish Tue 23-Aug-11 12:58:48

What? Stop breathing please? Hahaaaa!

Just tune it out OP.

duckdodgers Tue 23-Aug-11 13:00:09

What do you mean breathes so loudly? People need to breathe or they die obviously grin Does she have a cold?

HairyGrotter Tue 23-Aug-11 13:01:38

Oh no, I hate it when people do anythingo loudly, like chewing, talking, breathing etc.

Try and tune it out if you can, or throw something at her head.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 23-Aug-11 13:02:27

Is she asthmatic?

I don't think she can help how she breathes.

What about asking her if she's ok? "Gosh, you're breathing really heavily, are you ok?"

goinggreennotgrey Tue 23-Aug-11 13:04:31

duckdodgers~yes but I can't hear myself breathe, so why do I have to listen to her? No cold, unless she's had it for a month or so.

pictish~I've tried, but apart from wearing earplugs, I can't.

She smokes, so when she comes back to the office having climbed a flight of stairs from the smoking shelter, it's even louder.

Makes me stressed. Which means she's contributing to me going grey sooner than I need to!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 23-Aug-11 13:04:35

either she can control it, in which case if you ask her nicely she'll stop

or

she can't control it, in which case you'll have to put up with it or ask for a transfer!!!!!

I expect you do something that annoys her sometimes.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 23-Aug-11 13:05:25

grin is this a wind up?

duckdodgers Tue 23-Aug-11 13:07:15

I do feel sorry for you as I get a bit annoyed with some of the strange noises DH makes but I dont sit next to him all day on the other hand grin

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 23-Aug-11 13:08:17

Ah, so she's a wheezy smoker grin

Move desks? get earplugs?

Or be sympathetic at her. "Gosh, your breathing is really heavy, you poor thing." or "Are you ok on those stairs, you seem very out of breath"

worraliberty Tue 23-Aug-11 13:11:08

I used to work with someone whose nose squeaked when he breathed

I use to fantasise about throwing bricks at it.

Poweredbypepsi Tue 23-Aug-11 13:11:11

I doubt she can control it who breathes loudly on purpose for that long? If she smokes and its worse after excersize perhaps thats her normal breathing. I used to have a friend who had the loudest swallow i have ever heard, i lived with her for a year in uni and when my now dh suggested moving into his i actually took into account the volume of her swallowing and another year of living there.

your only real option would be trying to move further away really.

Isindebetterplace Tue 23-Aug-11 13:15:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YusMilady Tue 23-Aug-11 13:17:25

Think yourself lucky.

The woman I share an office with eats carrots all day. With her mouth open.

I dream of sharing with a heavy breather. It would be a paradise.

MrsHuxtable Tue 23-Aug-11 13:22:40

Lol, she probably has some health issues and won't be able to change it.
BUT
I feel your pain. My mum is the same and it's driving me nuts. I had to share a bed with her recently and I couldn't sleep. It made me so aggressive. I ended up sleeping on the hard living room floor (pregnant), I was that desperate.

Andrewofgg Tue 23-Aug-11 13:26:58

If you stop breathing you won't hear her. Or anything else. Ever again. Grow up.

I have a colleague who whistles. Really actually whistles. Just loud enough for me to hear beside him but not enough to disturb the whole office.

I brought in headphones and now listen to the radio all day on my phone because I would stab him in the eye with a pen if I didnt.

I sympathise!

gaaagh Tue 23-Aug-11 14:24:39

I have a colleague that hums (not tunes, just one or two beats for a few seconds, and quietly, so it's enough to make you think he's said something, and distract you).

I also have a colleague that eats an apple at 9.30am every morning with the biggest crunch possible - mouth open, chewing, everything. Thank fuck she's part time and i don't have to watch her eat lunch, it would repulse me so much i'd have to leave the office, i honestly would.

The smallest things can wind people up if they're working in close proximity for years and (the crucial bit, for me), trying to concentrate.

It's not an exaggeration that a lot of the silly office distractions (such as Apple Woman) really do put me off my work. it's pointless asking the office manager to do anything about it (what can she do?) but it is one of the evils of working in an open plan space.

Who the fuck thought open plan offices were ever a good idea?!

gaaagh Tue 23-Aug-11 14:25:42

SquirtedPerfumeUpNoseInBoots I'll swap my hummer for your whistler. Deal?

Andrewofgg Tue 23-Aug-11 14:51:18

Who the fuck thought open plan offices were ever a good idea?!

Someone looking at the rent who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.

pleasethanks Tue 23-Aug-11 15:01:24

Oh, I feel your pain. And anyone who hasn't had to endure a loud work mate will not know how fecking hard it can be. You have my full understanding! I sat next to someone who started slupring their coffee as soon as they raised the mug from their desk. FFS.

Spidermama Tue 23-Aug-11 15:03:18

My DH is a loud breather. So's his mum. It's really annoying actually especially at the theatre. However there's nothing at all you can do apart from get yourself some ear plugs. (cheaper on ebay)

heleninahandcart Tue 23-Aug-11 15:12:07

at least your colleague doesn't have a husband with a lot of hobbies called Bob.

gaaagh no deal. Humming is as bad as whistling. Or sniffing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now