Talk

Advanced search

to think this is bonkers

(64 Posts)
BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:47:24

Namechanged as I think SIL might be on here.

I slept for an hour last night, due to a combination of the baby refusing to sleep and the toddler waking at 5.

This week, my mum, who we don't see as often as we'd like - lives too far away, is catsitting for my brother and his wife, half an hour away. My mum would love to see the kids, so I phoned her this morning to see if she would come over to play with my toddler so that I can rest a little.

The answer? She'd love to BUT DB has decreed that she can't leave the house for more than an hour or two, in case the cat 'needs' her. Nor is she allowed guests. This is for a whole week. At the end of the week, DB and SIL are picking her up to spend a night away with her (leaving the cat alone).

AIBU to think this is bonkers? I asked my mum if she has any fun cat activities planned. grin She doesn't know what to do with herself. A whole week of watching a cat. The cat, by the way, is allowed to leave the house for as long as it pleases. Just not her.

ElectricSoftParade Tue 23-Aug-11 08:48:39

Bonkers as conkers. Encourage your mum to rebel!

TrillianAstra Tue 23-Aug-11 08:48:45

Brother and wife are on holiday. Your mum can do as she likes and they won't know.

Do they stay home all the time to watch the cat? I'm assuming it's not a brand-new-kitten as if it were they wouldn't be going on holiday.

gorionine Tue 23-Aug-11 08:48:54

Bonkers! [heavy gavel fall emoticon]

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:49:33

They are phoning hourly or so.

Not a kitten either.

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:50:21

They do stay at home all the time. I think they are using the cat as justification for their reclusiveness.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 23-Aug-11 08:50:39

Not bonkers at all. Absofuckinglutely daft.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 23-Aug-11 08:51:30

This is hilarious grin

Phoning every hour?! Can she record a Ferris Bueller (sp?) style answerphone message that will play while she's escaped out?

ObiWan Tue 23-Aug-11 08:51:49

Perhaps they are secretly using your mothers home for their holiday, and don't want her coming back early and discovering them grin

Whatmeworry Tue 23-Aug-11 08:51:51

Mum needs to tell them their fortunes, they are bonkers.

AnnieLobeseder Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:06

And what exactly could they do about it if your mum did leave the house?!?!

And how could they be enjoying their holiday if they're phoning every hour.

Probably the most bonkers thing I've ever heard.

No, wait, the most bonkers thing is your mum agreeing to their crazy terms in the first place!

RealityVonCrapp Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:27

I doubt it Obi, it's not really holiday stuff, my mum's flat!

chirpchirp Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:38

Ooooh that'll be a fun holiday, stopping every hour to phone their cat!

YANBU, they sound crazy.

Mitmoo Tue 23-Aug-11 08:53:57

They are totally nuts! Your Mum is too for agreeing then obeying. As others have said get her to rebel.

So long as the cat has fresh food and water in the morning and night it will be fine. Rolls eyes.

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 08:54:49

Ah Reality, that's not the case at all. I was asking her to come over to play with DC, not look after them. She loves doing that more than anything. I wasn't intending to go to bed and leave them, just to take a back seat while she did the entertaining! She regularly complains that she doesn't get to do it often enough.

ChippingIn Tue 23-Aug-11 08:57:20

I would say they're barking - but it doesn't seem quite right on a cat thread grin The pair of them need some serious therapy and your Mum needs to tell them so... and she needs to do what the hell she wants when she's there, as long as the cat is well looked after.

Madness.

SenoritaViva Tue 23-Aug-11 08:59:37

Can she not leave an answer phone message to say:

'Off to get a pet passport then it's Las Vegas for us as the cat and I are getting married. Meet us there if you want to be the witnesses. Miaow'.

MadameOvary Tue 23-Aug-11 08:59:51

I think it's sweet they care so much about their cat. I think you're being a bit selfish tbh.

I'm joking of course. Your SIL needs a day or two at close quarters with a baby and toddler to get some perspective.

ObiWan Tue 23-Aug-11 09:00:57

Are they paying your mother a lot to stay in and take calls every hour?

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 09:03:17

The thing is, how much looking after can a cat need?

I've sorted her out a timetable:

Tuesday - cat gymnastics and algebra
Wednesday - reading fish tales and mitten knitting
Thursday - Mousecatching 101
Friday - well, it's Friday! Preparation of fish supper of course
Satuday - Hissstory, followed by watching The Sound of Mewsic
Sunday - General Mousekeeping and lawmeowing

Any more suggestions? That won't be enough to keep this incredibly needy cat stimulated.

Mitmoo Tue 23-Aug-11 09:06:34

101 things you can do with your whiskers?

Plaits, Painting, line drawings, making spider prints? putting up other peoples noses to make them sneeze?

Cheria Tue 23-Aug-11 09:08:39

Bonkers. Your mum needs to rebel, or is using a very flimsy excuse.

BonneKers Tue 23-Aug-11 09:09:53

Nope, not an excuse. It's the Actual Truth.

Mitmoo Tue 23-Aug-11 09:11:15

For real BonneKers, because it's funny it's so weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now