Talk

Advanced search

stressful outing to dobbies garden centre

(308 Posts)
sabine Mon 22-Aug-11 23:04:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigletmania Mon 22-Aug-11 23:09:46

YABU its only one drink my goodness, you could have let it go. All this stress over nothing, was it worth it?

pigletmania Mon 22-Aug-11 23:10:31

Hope that you are feeling better though smile

GypsyMoth Mon 22-Aug-11 23:10:41

ideas? what about,shes got her opinion,doubt you can 'make' her change it

MrsReasonable Mon 22-Aug-11 23:10:48

Yes, I think YABU. You got into a pedantic (but technically correct) argument about a drink (it's a garden centre, not a restaurant) and I bet that some losers have actually tried to pull the 'oh, I'm having a heart attack/fit/blackout' in order to get free stuff. Let it go.

hephaestus Mon 22-Aug-11 23:12:08

You sound like an utter loon.

Erm. You did seem to make a hell of a fuss over a drink. The fainting was unfortunate, though. However, if things happened as you have said, I can sort of understand the manager thinking you were up to something tbh.

Takitezee Mon 22-Aug-11 23:12:55

Any ideas?

What do you want out of this?

pigletmania Mon 22-Aug-11 23:13:40

All this fuss over a blimin juice drink, the kids are older they are not babies fgs, I am sure that they have had worse. Let it go and stress over something worth stressing about.

AmyStake Mon 22-Aug-11 23:14:25

I think you kicked up an unneccessary fuss about the Capri Sun/Fruit juice thing with regards to quoting European legislation at them, but the manager shouldn't have made a comment like that, especially not to your children!

I'd write a strong letter of complaint to Dobbies but I'd let the mislabelling thing go.

Valetude Mon 22-Aug-11 23:14:32

Bad day
Let it go
Capri Sun doesn't kill (however much you don't like it) so manager probably did think you were a bit nutty, sorry.

Himalayanbalsam Mon 22-Aug-11 23:14:34

Any ideas?

Err yes. Try letting it go.

I can't believe you held up the queue and your children's lunch whilst you argued over a Capri Sun. hmm That's incredible.

Tbh I'm not surprised the manager was bemused by your behaviour. You know you were genuinely unwell but all they will have seen is somebody being quite honestly absurd and then 'appearing' to pass out. In their place I wouldn't have questioned your motives or genuine illness but I can see why they did.

Just write this off as a bad day and make sure you reduce the amount of time you spend arguing in a queue next time you go out.

TwoIfBySea Mon 22-Aug-11 23:14:46

So no to Capri Sun but yes to chicken nuggets and chips?

I think you need to take a step back, you have massively over-reacted. Next time you feel in this kind of situation perhaps it would be better to leave it well alone and walk away.

I'm surprised at the council even entertaining the idea of investigating this tbh. Are you looking for compensation because of Capri Sun?

sniffy Mon 22-Aug-11 23:14:47

is this real?

squeakytoy Mon 22-Aug-11 23:15:55

YABU and sound like a complete PITA.

Its not surprising that they thought you were trying to get a bit more attention unfortunately.

pigletmania Mon 22-Aug-11 23:16:07

To absurd to be real

AmyStake Mon 22-Aug-11 23:16:13

Also I have low blood pressure too and am a fantastic fainter given the chance, I was told by a doctor colleague that eating a meal if you feel faint can actually make you faint as the blood goes to your stomach. Or something like that. I had that a lot a few years ago.

wigglesrock Mon 22-Aug-11 23:16:31

YABU going to Dobbies in Lisburn in the summer holidays grin. There is a <whispers> McDonalds 5 mins away that serves milk with chicken nuggets and chips.

oldenoughtowearpurple Mon 22-Aug-11 23:16:41

Laugh it off with your children
Complain to the store manager about the shop manager's comments (I think your comment about driving 20 miles for a bowl of soup and some nuggetts will do it)
but i do think you went a bit Ott on the Capri sun discussion and that taking it to trading standards is a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

DraculasMum Mon 22-Aug-11 23:17:06

Yabvu.

Everyone knows if you go to these little cafes kids meals are more than likely going to include loads of sugar and e-numbers. If you feel so against your kids having these drinks then take your own with you.

And you also say your kids got water instead so why the big hoo haa about the drinks, why not say instead of capri sun can I have waters with them.

Sounds to me that you spent all that time arguing the toss over drinks and making a show of yourself, your friend and kids that you are probably to blame for the fainting incident also.

This stuff really blows my mind. Unnecessary drama.

DraculasMum Mon 22-Aug-11 23:17:07

Yabvu.

Everyone knows if you go to these little cafes kids meals are more than likely going to include loads of sugar and e-numbers. If you feel so against your kids having these drinks then take your own with you.

And you also say your kids got water instead so why the big hoo haa about the drinks, why not say instead of capri sun can I have waters with them.

Sounds to me that you spent all that time arguing the toss over drinks and making a show of yourself, your friend and kids that you are probably to blame for the fainting incident also.

This stuff really blows my mind. Unnecessary drama.

GypsyMoth Mon 22-Aug-11 23:17:13

dont blame your poor daughter.....cringey!!

UniS Mon 22-Aug-11 23:17:19

YABU

why did you have to "speak to the manager BEFORE you got your children and you food and water.....
Manager is entitled to her opinions that you were making a scene over the drinks, you to yours that they are mislabelling. The manager re-united your child with the other adults in your party and informed them of the fainting incident and the rant you had just had before you fell over.

10 year olds are generally mortified if their parents do ANYTHING that makes them stand out, Ranting and fainting , either would be enough to embarrass the average 10 yr old. My father was a ranter in cafés and restaurants, I hated it.

MrsSippy Mon 22-Aug-11 23:18:16

I don't get why nuggets and chips was OK but the Capri-Sun caused such disproportianate reactions!

Pick ya battles woman, and this one doesn't sound worth it at all!!!

Valetude Mon 22-Aug-11 23:18:29

If you get low blood sugar, and get that stroppy...have you been tested for diabetes? Irrationality can be a sign.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now