Talk

Advanced search

To think that what my Mum said when I fell in the street is a little bit uncalled for?

(61 Posts)
whatcanbemynewname Mon 22-Aug-11 21:24:36

I tripped and fell taking the skin off my knee and it has swelled. However just after I fell she said "Oh well you are fat anyway so its a very heavy weight to fall over"

FabbyChic Mon 22-Aug-11 21:26:43

ha ha ha ha Sorry but it's funny.

slartybartfast Mon 22-Aug-11 21:27:19

only a motehr !

ddubsgirl Mon 22-Aug-11 21:27:22

sad

worraliberty Mon 22-Aug-11 21:27:55

She thinks you fell over your own weight? confused

nilequeen Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:27

You should have replied..."Weight can be gained and lost, but you will always be ugly" then stuck out your tongue.

ChippingIn Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:44

sad

Bit rough!

Hope you're ok!

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 21:29:12

It's hardly cutting edge satire, Fabby.

Ivortheengine8 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:29:19

I don't think it's funny coming from a mother. She should have known if you would find it a bit hurtful or not.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Mon 22-Aug-11 21:30:29

No yanbu. That was mean. sad

fabby are you taking the piss? confused

MrsGPotter Mon 22-Aug-11 21:31:18

Well I think it's funny. Sounds like something my grandma would say.

People are too sensitive these days.

I remember when I was 11 I went to an all girls school and there was a gap in the fence we used to "escape" from during lunch. I would always hurt myself in it because my hip/pubic bone would scrape along the metal. My friend was fat though and just forced herself through with no pain. I said it was because she had a lot more padding in her bones than I did. She agreed. It was true.

YANBU if it hurt you. I hope you didn't injure yourself too badly.

glitterkitty Mon 22-Aug-11 21:31:55

I dont think its kind, or funny.

I'd be upset.

LydiaWickham Mon 22-Aug-11 21:32:09

so the way she comforted you for hurting your knee was to call you fat? so now you have a poorly knee and you feel fat? Nice.

(YANBU)

whatcanbemynewname Mon 22-Aug-11 21:35:14

No I would not have found it funny 'specially now as my knee has ballooned.

nickschick Mon 22-Aug-11 21:36:15

My nanna said to me 'oh auntie julies daughter is v slim,has a beautiful home and drives her own car hmm but even though youre fat you are far prettier than her she looks inbred'

hmm not sure what to make of that im size 14-16 and the photo she saw of me was only my face???? could be worse i could have a beautiful home my own car be thin but .....ugly?

Oakmaiden Mon 22-Aug-11 21:36:54

Mothers... sigh I think sometimes they just don't think.

I remember a few years ago I suffered from really bad depression, and eventually had to tell my Mum I was on meds and having help from Psychiatry etc. She phoned me back a few hours later, and said "Oakie, I have been thinking. Do you think you are depressed because you are so fat?".

Thanks Mum. Calling me fat makes me feel better....

whatcanbemynewname Mon 22-Aug-11 21:37:20

No she called me fat straight after I fell...Not are you ok?

Ivortheengine8 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:37:21

'People are too sensitive these days' - people have always been sensitive to people who have no tact!

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 21:37:52

"People are too sensitive these days."

Yes, you're right I suppose.

I mean, once upon a time I would have called you a massive wanker for that post... but alas, those days are gone.

Another example of Broken Britain.

MrsGPotter Mon 22-Aug-11 21:38:43

I've just never understood why people get upset about stuff like this. Are you fat? if so than you're just being told what you already know. If you're not fat than you know the comment is unjustified so why care? I just don't get it.

Ivortheengine8 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:39:25

grin

nickschick Mon 22-Aug-11 21:39:38

Oakie im laughing at your mum - sorry grin

nickschick Mon 22-Aug-11 21:40:31

Oakies mum could clear the NHS waiting lists no need for counselling or cbt etc etc call oakys mum ...grin I think I heart her. (in a weird way obv)

Ivortheengine8 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:41:00

So mrsgpotter if you are an ugly old bat and someone tells you that to your face (your mum) does it make you feel better about being an ugly old bat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now