Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Having a large bonfire in the back garden in a densley populated residential area

(13 Posts)
Propertynovice Mon 22-Aug-11 18:45:16

on a lovely summer's evening is antisocial behaviour and should be banned?

GiveMeStrength2day Mon 22-Aug-11 18:46:56

Couldn't agree with you more! My one current bugbear!
YANBU

LineRunner Mon 22-Aug-11 18:47:59

Someone did this near us last night after dark and stank the whole house out. Bastards.

MrsRhettButler Mon 22-Aug-11 18:48:04

<gets popcorn>

GiveMeStrength2day Mon 22-Aug-11 18:50:22

No need for popcorn - just a hosepipe!! grin

Propertynovice Mon 22-Aug-11 18:53:02

So annoyed - came home from work, unloaded washing, hung out on line, sat outside with dinner and drink, and they light a bloody bonfire.

iliketea Mon 22-Aug-11 18:53:59

Absolutely agree - some wankers nice neighbours along the road from us are doing this right now. I don't know why they can't take their rubbish to the skip like everyone else. And the gardens round here aren't exactly huge - I'm worried they'll set the fence on fire.

YADNBU

pamplemousserose Mon 22-Aug-11 18:54:28

Yanbu

pallymama Mon 22-Aug-11 18:55:30

My next door neighbour is currently having a fire in their back garden, it's big enough that I can see the flames over the fence. I don't mind at all. I know that they will be very careful with it, and they will have looked over the fence to check there was no laundry out before hand. I have nice neighbours. smile

pallymama Mon 22-Aug-11 18:56:49

Cross posted with three there, sorry Property, that wasn't meant as a direct, laundry-related jab! grin

CustardCake Mon 22-Aug-11 18:59:23

You can complain about it but only if they do it frequently and only if the stuff they burn is causing quite a lot of smoke or fumes:

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (as amended) it is an offence for people to dispose of their domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health. In practice you should not burn waste that is likely to create excessive smoke or noxious fumes. If only dry garden waste is burnt, your bonfire should not cause a problem.

Most bonfire problems are addressed under nuisance legislation. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance." In practice a fire would have to be a recurrent persistent problem, interfering substantially with neighbours' well-being, comfort or enjoyment of their property.

I agree though - I keep having to run upstairs to shut windows when I'm here as nextdoor have had almost continuous bonfires for a week. Why they can't take it to the tip or at least have one bonfire and get it over and done with I have no idea.

MissBetsyTrotwood Mon 22-Aug-11 18:59:51

I don't think YABU at all but I might have to have a bonfire sometime soon to get rid of all the knotweed in our back garden we inherited with the house. We can't throw it away to the council recycling or skip as it's 'controlled waste' and the pro removal guy charges an arm an a leg.

What to do? When would the best time be?

And YABU can I just emphasise.

smartyparts Mon 22-Aug-11 19:02:44

Could not agree more - they are so anti-social.

A nearish neighbour who was having building work done had one every day - burning all sorts of chemical ridden crap. It was a daily towering inferno - even my bathroom had black flakes in it. I managed to get the council to serve an abatement notice on him.

As for people burning garden waste - compost, take it to the dump, put it in your brown bin you selfish feckers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now