Talk

Advanced search

to not apply for a job based on one 30 second conversation with the owner of the business?

(14 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:25:37

Basically, I've seen a local part-time job I could apply for and am well qualified for.

It was advertised a couple of weeks ago but I have been on holiday so I thought I would just ring to check the vacancy wasn't filled so as not to waste time on doing an application letter. There was a phone number on the job advert.

So I called - and just didn't like the sound of the character on the end of the phone! As its a tiny company (6 people) its probably important to at least be able to tolerate everyone else in the office.

So, am thinking of not bothering to apply blush.

AIBU?

BaronessBomburst Mon 22-Aug-11 15:28:07

Yes, they may be the one leaving and you'd be the replacement.

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Mon 22-Aug-11 15:28:38

YAB a bit U, I think grin

BaronessBomburst Mon 22-Aug-11 15:29:18

Unless of course it was the owner. They wouldn't be leaving would they?grin

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 22-Aug-11 15:29:36

Fine - as long as you don't kick yourself afterwards for not even trying. It's difficult to gauge what somebody is like on the phone, just as it is on a chatboard - potentially fab people can come across very badly.

ObiWan Mon 22-Aug-11 15:31:45

What was it you didn't like?

<slightly worried about my own telephone manner> blush

shesparkles Mon 22-Aug-11 15:31:52

I used to always question my gut instinct and often went against it. Every time I did, my gut instinct had proved right.
YANBU, I'd probably do the same

SenoritaViva Mon 22-Aug-11 15:32:55

Depends on how much you want/need the job, whether they come up often etc. You could always go for an interview and then decide. You can always turn them down if they make you an offer and you haven't liked what you've seen.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:33:42

He sounded just a teensy bit irritated. I was a stranger to him and it was a perfectly reasonable question. I got straight to the point - we spoke for no more than 30 seconds.

nickelbabe Mon 22-Aug-11 15:37:41

i agree with how you feel, but it could have just been someone having an off-day (it happens to the best of us!!)

apply for the job, attend the interview and go from there.
smile

ObiWan Mon 22-Aug-11 15:40:00

Maybe he was stressed because they're understaffed - you could be the answer to his prayers grin

ShoutyHamster Mon 22-Aug-11 15:41:52

Good to go with instinct but I think I'd still apply and check out those instincts properly at interview.

For all you know his guinea pig could have died that very morning - yarboo, OP, yarboo grin

LadyFlumpalot Mon 22-Aug-11 15:43:05

I would apply - afterall you can still turn the job down if you go for the interview and are successful if you really don't like the people.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 22-Aug-11 15:48:19

Shouty - did you know my guinea pig died last week [sob]?

Rip Nibbles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now