Talk

Advanced search

to think I'm being a bit naff?

(35 Posts)
LaLaLaLayla Mon 22-Aug-11 15:21:42

OK, so I am an 'Executive Assistant' which is basically a secretary. I have just started a new job and have got the proof through for my business cards. I have a degree and am half way through my MBA. My business cards say this:

Layla Turner
BSc (Hons) PG Cert Bus Admin

Does this look a bit naff? For a secretary (I mean Executive Assistant?). My job title is not on the business cards.

Would really appreciate your honesty. Thanks.

squeakytoy Mon 22-Aug-11 15:24:19

Yep, it does look a bit naff to be honest.

Layla Turner
Executive Assistant

Is all you need.

summertimeblews Mon 22-Aug-11 15:24:44

having business cards is a bit naff

but yes the other stuff is naff too

dont think i have ever put my BSc(Hons) on anything except a job app

TalcAndTurnips Mon 22-Aug-11 15:25:13

If there was a lot more swearing in your job, would you be a 15 cert and not just a PG?

grin

I think you should definitely big it up - you are not just a secretary.

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Mon 22-Aug-11 15:26:37

At first glance it looks like a cinema ad for a new family film about buses . Go with squeaky's suggestion

overmydeadbody Mon 22-Aug-11 15:26:57

Layla Turner

Is that your real name?

That's a good name. I like it.

Ephiny Mon 22-Aug-11 15:27:46

Depends what is the norm in your industry, if everyone puts their bachelor's degree etc then fine. Personally I wouldn't, though. Maybe professional qualifications directly related to the job, but not a BSc.

Why wouldn't you put your job title? I would have thought that would be more relevant.

overmydeadbody Mon 22-Aug-11 15:27:48

and I agree with squeeky's suggestion

scuzy Mon 22-Aug-11 15:30:08

why would you need a business card? genuine question.

PortBlacksandIsLovelyInAutumn Mon 22-Aug-11 15:37:47

I get loads of work from handing out my business cards - they're not naff at all...hmm

PortBlacksandIsLovelyInAutumn Mon 22-Aug-11 15:38:06

Admittedly i am self employed though....

carabos Mon 22-Aug-11 15:38:15

You should put on your business card what it is that the person you are giving it to needs to know (remember) about you, so just your name, job title and how to contact you.

LaLaLaLayla Mon 22-Aug-11 15:40:29

The girl who did the job before me set the precedent for not using job titles. I have always had business cards, though. They are very useful. Much better than scribbling your contact details on a piece of paper.

weejimmykrankie Mon 22-Aug-11 15:44:21

Yep, totally naff to list your quals, sorry. It looks like you are trying too hard. Having cards is not naff at all though.

catgirl1976 Mon 22-Aug-11 16:38:45

I would just go with your job title. Not your qualifications.

Every meeting I go to starts with the swapping of business cards so I have to have them. People expect me to have them at meetings, events, exhbitions etc.

I tell you what annoys me though. Women have nowhere to put them because women's suits don't have real pockets - just fake ones, whereas men's suits have real pockets. Men get to pull a business card out of their breast pockets, women either come in clutching them and looking wierd or get to rummage through a handbag for ages looking equally weird.

It's not right! Rant over.

milkmilklemonade Mon 22-Aug-11 16:41:28

Why are business cards naff? When did they become naff? Why didn't anyone tell me? I work for a multi national oil company and get through hundreds. Layla, it's up to you what you put on them. Internationally I have noticed that people tend to put MBA and PHD on cards but not regular degrees. I love my cards, my company policy is to put position title on so every time I get promoted I send my mum and gran my new card. Ok, I admit the last bit is naff but still want to know why you don't approve of cards. Is it green?

Mandy2003 Mon 22-Aug-11 17:01:17

Perhaps wait until you have your MBA?

I love job titles - because I don't want to work outside the village I took the first job available, cleaning in a gastropub. I always joke and say that I am "in charge of the presentation of customer-facing areas" grin

G1nger Mon 22-Aug-11 17:04:03

How will they know what your job title is if you don't print it on the card? ;) I do think that putting BA (Hons) after a name looks a bit naff, but I'd go with the company consenses on this one, like someone else suggests.

ObiWan Mon 22-Aug-11 17:11:57

I wouldn't put the undergraduate degree, almost everyone as one these days.
If you had a PhD, then using Dr. would be O.K. but still not necessarily relevent to your role. MBA might be handy when it comes to being head hunted though grin.

aldiwhore Mon 22-Aug-11 17:20:14

With all due respect I hate business cards.

Or rather, if yours isn't naff then neither is mine that shall mention my educational achievments and my current status as a domestic engineer.

Unless you actually NEED a business card for business, then they're naff. I remember getting one in a party bag of my son's once and rather than think 'ooh that might be handy' I thought 'what a wanker' ... if you're just handing them out to people in pubs or random people you'd otherwise just give your number to (or even, take their number) then they're naffer than naff.

I've been a secretary/PA/executive assistant in my past, it aint all that, and although its a 'spinal' role in a company (a lot lies with you) and I'd never under estimate it, it does not require you to have business cards, and in fact, by handing them out, or even considering it, makes me think you're not completely into your current job and need something with more coudos... being an exec ass requires you to put your ego aside somewhat, and if you can't do that, move one.

If we met, and you gave me a business card, whether I was your bosse's client or a random drinker in a bar I would gently pat you, say 'aw bless' and thus you'd undermine everything you're trying to achieve by actually possessing a business card.

My dh has them out of necessity, he hates them, he''l hand them out only if that's honestly the easiest way, and 9 times out of ten its not. Sorry YABU and naff and ever so slightly sad.

DeSelby Mon 22-Aug-11 18:39:31

Congratulations on your new job!
I agree that only name, role and contact details should be on the business card, there is no need for you to put your qualifications.

ghostofstalbans Mon 22-Aug-11 18:42:16

mine would say

ghostofstalbans
O Level Art

grin

weejimmykrankie Tue 23-Aug-11 01:00:07

Without meaning to belittle your position, isn't your role to facilitate contact with your boss? Therefore, aren't most people who contact you actually looking for her/him, so wouldn't it make sense to put "executive assistant to Joe Bloggs"?

The girl before you who started not putting job titles on business cards was an idiot, no wonder she has "moved on". That's the whole point of them.

As an aside, here in Hong Kong business cards are extremely important and are swapped without fail every time you meet anyone new. You must hand it over and receive with two hands and, upon receipt, make a big show of studying it carefully. Fully agree with the poster who pointed out that women end up looking awkward due to the lack of breast pockets- I am forever dropping piles of the buggers at work drinks parties. I have also on occasion given someone else's card to a new person instead of my own. I have so many of other people's that I have taken to scribbling notes on the back - it's a bit like a diary - found one the other day "beard, yellow teeth, wife knows a lot about where to buy curtains".

nickschick Tue 23-Aug-11 01:03:50

Id think your card was fab Ghostofstalbums if only for the honesty grinsmile

mine would read nickschick - full of shitgrin

LaLaLaLayla Tue 23-Aug-11 03:41:23

As an aside, here in Hong Kong business cards are extremely important and are swapped without fail every time you meet anyone new.

It's the same out here in the Gulf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now