Talk

Advanced search

To not feed the neighbours children?

(35 Posts)
MugglesandLuna Mon 22-Aug-11 14:03:32

Three children have come over from across the street to play with DS

I have already supplied them with an ice lolly, 2 drinks of juice and a bag of crisps each, but one of them has just said 'Im hungry, can I have some lunch'

AIBU to tell them to go home and get it. They are 10/11/12 and they live just across the street. They were here three days last week and I fed them each time.

momobiker Mon 22-Aug-11 14:04:12

YANBU

I tell the kids across the street to go home for food all the time. I am not a soup kitchen!

MardyBra Mon 22-Aug-11 14:04:28

Yanbu. Send your kids over to their house with strict instructions to ask for lunch when they get there.

mistlethrush Mon 22-Aug-11 14:05:02

Nope, send them home. You could send DS along with them 'for a change'

Next door's twins decided that they wanted to bake cakes - I sent them home to ask their mum - they came back saying mum was fine with them cooking buns - so I sent them home to do it grin

Jackstini Mon 22-Aug-11 14:05:39

Nope - send them home, with DS to be fed too

wearenotamused Mon 22-Aug-11 14:08:58

Send them home - with DS in tow :P

lachesis Mon 22-Aug-11 14:09:33

Why are you being such a mug? I couldn't afford to feed that many extra mouths 3x/week. Send them back.

MugglesandLuna Mon 22-Aug-11 14:13:23

I cant afford it either sad

MardyBra Mon 22-Aug-11 14:15:13

Just. Say. No.

Seriously, just be assertive and say "sorry, you need to go home for lunch".

MajorB Mon 22-Aug-11 14:16:56

At 2pm surely their mum should have already fed them, no wonder they wanted snacks etc.
What time did they turn up? & do you think she's deliberately sending them over at lunchtime because she can't be arsed to feed them & assumes you will?

Teachermumof3 Mon 22-Aug-11 14:17:54

Honestly-how do people get into these situations!?

If someone asks something really cheeky-say no! What on earth can the or their parents say to you about it!!?

lachesis Mon 22-Aug-11 14:18:06

If you can't afford it, why do it? There literally isn't the money to buy that much extra food in our budget, so I send kids who do this home.

MardyBra Mon 22-Aug-11 14:18:54

Maybe their mum is starting a thread (on Netmums?) congratulating herself on fobbing off her three kids on the neighbour once again.

MugglesandLuna Mon 22-Aug-11 14:21:02

Well its 2 parents because its a brother and a sister and then another little boy.

They have been here since 9.15am but the boy has just gone home, hoping the other two will get the hint.

Lucyinthepie Mon 22-Aug-11 14:23:24

Don't wait for them to get the hint, just bloody tell them! Say "OK, I think it's time you went home for lunch now. Bye."

MadamDeathstare Mon 22-Aug-11 14:23:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenAgain Mon 22-Aug-11 14:24:07

say, yes it is almost lunchtime, you'd best go back now and if you feel like it, you can come over and play again after lunch, or your dc will be over after lunch (even better!).

MadamDeathstare Mon 22-Aug-11 14:26:23

MadamDeathstare Mon 22-Aug-11 14:28:12

Cleverything Mon 22-Aug-11 14:31:20

lachesis Mon 22-Aug-11 14:34:33

Hoping they'll take the hint? It's your house. 'We're having our lunch now, it's time you went home.'

DoMeDon Mon 22-Aug-11 14:38:20

YANBU but I know I'd do it - I'd be happy to. We're all different though and if you can't afford it, that's the end of it.

fabanflabby Mon 22-Aug-11 15:11:25

Ive been caught out so many times and its always the teenage friends of my DS. They will eat everything and anything and they dont ask! So rude.

I did have a laugh the other week though when I was cleaning all the last bits of out of date food out of the cupboard and fridge and left it all on the side. Went outside to hang the washing and the vultures had eaten the lot when i got back into the kitchen.
They obviously thought i was leaving the food out for them to eat!

I havent seen them since!

maybe thats the trick?

What are potstickers, MadameDeathstare?

spiderpig8 Mon 22-Aug-11 15:49:18

You don't hint! They're kids they won't get it! You tell them (politely but firmly)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now