Talk

Advanced search

to ask for money back. advice needed please...

(13 Posts)
Spuddybean Mon 22-Aug-11 11:56:12

Okay wise people. My DP ordered some (fetish) stuff on the internet for us. This cost £200. The woman said repeatedly that she has not received the transfer of funds but the bank is insisting it went into her account.

We don't really know how to proceed. DP says write it off (but i think that might be the ploy - hoping people would be too embarassed to persevere).

What would our next course of action be?

AIBU to chase this up or should i just leave it?

GalaxyWeaver Mon 22-Aug-11 11:57:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tethersend Mon 22-Aug-11 12:00:06

Can the bank get the money back?

Of course you should pursue it. Unless your fetish is being done over financially, in which case she's provided a first class service.

going Mon 22-Aug-11 12:01:19

You can prove the money has been sent from your bank details. You should definatley chase it up. Can the bank get the money back from her account?

worraliberty Mon 22-Aug-11 12:02:59

Go back to your bank and tell them what she said

I'm sure they'll look into where the funds went.

Spuddybean Mon 22-Aug-11 12:06:08

thether that made me laugh - but sadly no. Otherwise i'd be pretty happy most of the time, especially on my daily commute!

worra we have and the bank said it went into her account/is in her account no probs.

Rowena8482 Mon 22-Aug-11 12:09:34

Tell her that since your bank say the transfer has worked and has the relevnt documentation to prove it, you have taken legal advice and will be filing a polic report asap as her bank account is obviously compromised. She need do nothing as you have the relevant information for said report since she supplied her details when you first did the bank transfer, but you wanted to keep her updated as you know how worrying it can be when someone tries to steal ones identity and mess with ones finanaces.
That should do the trick, and if it doesn't, then actually go to the police/law centre/citizen's advice and see how to go about the legalities - she can't just take your money and keep it - tis theft! I bet she is counting on it being fetish stuff to stop you complaining.

catsareevil Mon 22-Aug-11 13:19:32

I wouldnt be surprised if you being too embarrassed to chase this up might be her intention, I have heard of this sort of thing before.

RealityVonCrapp Mon 22-Aug-11 13:24:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lenak Mon 22-Aug-11 13:26:54

Double check that the bank account you sent the money to is correct - your bank will only confirm that the transfer was made to the account number you gave them - they won't be able to confirm that it was 'her' account.

Check the account number it was transfered to very carefully.

This happened to us once when we made a payment - the supplier said they had not received it, our bank said that it had gone successfully. When we checked the account numbers it turned out we had transposed a couple of the numbers when making the payment.

Our bank gave us a form to complete so they could request the money back from the receiving bank - however before we got chance to, the receiving bank returned the money - it had been sitting in their suspense account for three months (if we had noticed earlier, we could have filled the form in and got the money back quicker).

Obviously, if the bank account numbers are correct then email or fax her the proof and tell her if you do not get the goods or a refund you will take legal action.

redexpat Mon 22-Aug-11 14:37:09

Threaten taking them to small claims court. Usually the threat gives people a kick up the backside.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 22-Aug-11 14:51:48

How was the payment funded - by debit or credit card or a cash transfer made at a bank? Was payment made through Paypal?

Rowena unless the OP can provide evidence of a widespread internet scam or fraud on the part of the trader, the police won't be remotely interested as failure to supply goods paid is a civil matter.

Spuddybean Mon 22-Aug-11 15:44:03

DP transfered the funds directly into her bank. The first time it bounced back as she had given us the wrong number. The second time, with the correct numbers checked, it went thru but she said she had not received it.

Bank confirmed today it went into her account. She banks with Nat West as does DP.

We have sent the 'bank confirms it is in there so can you check and if it's not we will need to take it further' kind of email and she hasn't answered yet.

We will be taking it to small claims if she doesn't respond and i am not remotely embarassed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now