Talk

Advanced search

To feel a bit depressed about the summer hols getting towards their end?

(16 Posts)
BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:19:45

I know it's a bit pathetic but I can't help feeling down that we've had the bulk of the school summer holidays and they're drawing to a close soon (in England, anyway). I absolutely love the school hols and feel as excited as my DCs when I pick them up from school on their last day in July every year.

Then as more and more 'back to school' adverts are on tv I start to feel more and more grumpy. I love summer; I love lazy afternoons and evenings watching the DCs playing in the garden and I love the lie-ins in the morning and no lunches to make & uniforms to iron. And I bloody hate winter and the cold weather it brings. Meh.

Please someone tell me to grow up, and someone else say something funny sad

I think I have PMT too sad sad

AnyFucker Mon 22-Aug-11 11:20:49

I am with you

only 2 weeks left here sad

BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:22:56

Let's wallow AF sad sad sad

BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:25:11

And PS we're not the Waltons BTW; my two youngest are so sick of being in each other's company 24/7 that they're arguing over who started the last argument, but even that doesn't make me look forward to the Autumn Term - urgh what a horrible name for a term sad

AnyFucker Mon 22-Aug-11 11:27:20

my two argue at times, but the best thing is, they are old enough to be left alone for short periods so I don't even have to drag them around Morrison's when they are off school either smile

LynetteScavo Mon 22-Aug-11 11:27:47

YANBU.

I usually cry on the first day back because I miss my DC soooo much. blush

GilbonzoTheSecretPsych0Duck Mon 22-Aug-11 11:27:50

I was dreading the holidays. We have 10 weeks and it was my first summer holidays (ds (5) at school for 2 years but dd's (3) first year at nursery). But it's been amazing. The dcs have been so good, we've had the odd lazy day mixed in with seeing loads of friends, going out blah blah blah. I'm dreading going back to time constraints and early mornings and tired children. Dd is starting full time school so they will both be gone 8:30 til 4:30 for 4 days a week and I'm going to miss them.

<sad cow>

BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:29:34

ten weeks Gilbonzo? envy

Where do you live? I want to move there sad

GilbonzoTheSecretPsych0Duck Mon 22-Aug-11 11:32:54

France! I love it that I still have Wednesdays with my brats but the school days are very long. And I feel cheated out of an extra 2 years of them being at home. They start school at 3 which seems so little but they love it and have a great time.

whenIgetto3 Mon 22-Aug-11 11:36:16

we've had 10 weeks and would love 10 more, my 4DCs have been great and we have loved it, haven't even been on holiday just hung out at home and been to the local park,library etc.

Youngest starts school this time so I will be all alone all day sad

Although we do now only have 2 weeks to do the 100 odd pages of homework DS2 produced last night shock having asked him if he had any several times

twinklytroll Mon 22-Aug-11 11:36:28

I am heartbroken, the holidays are the only time I get to feel like a proper Mum. I can give dd attention, run the house properly and feel calm.

BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:40:21

me to twinkly - I think you've put your finger on it - the long hols are the only time I chill out a bit and don't run around like a headless fart making sure everyone is keeping to my fucking stupid schedule...

Hulababy Mon 22-Aug-11 11:43:33

These holidays are so short - I only have 5.5 weeks. I have to back next Thursday sad DD goes back Tuesday after. It's all gone so quick. She's at drama summer school for these next three days and then there isn't much time left to do much more is there?

I love the holidays, no proper routines, doing what we like, when we like.

How long til October half term????

BadTasteFlump Mon 22-Aug-11 11:52:19

Too fucking long - end of October sad

Haribojoe Mon 22-Aug-11 11:56:43

I would like to come and wallow with you all.

Thinking about getting uniforms ready and getting back into the swing of afterschool clubs, packed lunches etc is making feel positively depressed.

God knows what I'll be like when they've all started school!

twinklytroll Mon 22-Aug-11 11:58:17

It is just hideous, I love my job once I am back into the swing of it but the thought of getting back on that treadmill is awful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now