Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be upset with DP for buying some pointless piece of junk

(11 Posts)
MrsWembley Sun 21-Aug-11 17:52:06

marketed to people just like him - the new Detol 'no touch' hand soap dispenser. Don't know how much the refils are but the unit itself was a tenner and he knows how I feel about them, but no, he sees he wants he buys, never mind that he's been going on about money recently and how we'll have to be careful with it if we want to move to somewhere bigger...

He's constantly doing this and because he's the earner he can and he never seems to understand why I ask him not to. In fact, he gets cross with me when I question his purchasing decisions!

worraliberty Sun 21-Aug-11 17:53:39

YANBU if you have to run all your purchases by him.

If you don't then YABU as it was only a tenner (as stupid as those dispensers are)

MrsWembley Sun 21-Aug-11 18:30:13

It's not so much the amount, it's the fact that he's going on and on about being careful how we spend money just recently and I've always been careful! Until I met him I had to be very careful with money and it's a good habit I've never lost. He, on the other hand, is a nightmare with money, but as he currently earns a decent wage he doesn't think about how he spends it. This is why I'm upset rather than angry.

Niecie Sun 21-Aug-11 18:36:06

YANBU - DH occasionally does this - says we are on an economy drive and then goes out and spends a load of money. He does have a tendency to announce the economy drive like I spend money like water which I don't. I live within my means. It is irritating when they lecture and then do the opposite, especially if you don't deserve a lecture.

I make a joke out of it now if he dares to suggest cutting back. I think he gets my point - we haven't had an economy drive for ages! wink

Seriously though, it might be time for a chat. If he can afford what he buys then fine but you don't want to be told that you should be being more careful.

hiddenhome Sun 21-Aug-11 18:48:21

Those things are a damn nuisance. We have one at work and every time you put something near it, it discharges a little blob of green slime that goes onto the side of the sink and just looks messy confused

YANBU

Make sure he cleans the mess up every day too. You'll find it in the bin in a week grin

sayithowitis Sun 21-Aug-11 19:01:03

Well, YANBU if you are supposed to be on an economy drive.

But....I love my soap dispenser! I have mine positioned away from the taps, so that it is only operated when we need it, rather than just by somebody 'being in the area'. I have a pretty little dish below the spout, to catch any that is accidentally dispensed, though, now we have had it a while and the novelty has worn off, accidents happen far less frequently than before. And yes, the refills are horrendously expensive, but I just use a pair of scissors to lever off the cap and refill with my usual liquid soap. I find actually, that we use a lot less now than we used to as the automatic dispenser give less soap than the push down pump ones do.

redexpat Sun 21-Aug-11 19:16:33

Keep a record of the unnecessary things he buys and the cost and then next time he complains about the need to save money you can show him where he COULD have saved money, but chose not to. Although he may then hate you for being smug.

MrsWembley Sun 21-Aug-11 19:23:54

sayit, do you not think sometimes, just a little bit, how pointless it is to worry about germs being on something you touch just before washing your hands...

<missing being able to do italics but typing this using the phone app - imagine them where you will>

This is the argument I have with DP and he knows I'm right, I can see his expression when we talk about it, and he knows I know that he knows I'm right... I don't know if he's just done it to prove something.

MrsWembley Sun 21-Aug-11 19:33:20

red, he already gets into a sulk when I'm smug as it is. I don't know if he could bear me being any smuggerwink

MrsWembley Sun 21-Aug-11 19:35:10

Thanks for all replies, btw.

smoggii Sun 21-Aug-11 19:41:50

YANBU - those things are a ridiculous waste of money grin

I am a bit of a hypocrite though because i'm always banging on about being broke but can't resist things i see for the baby...usually pointless things that are a ridiculous waste of money!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now