Talk

Advanced search

To love the Red arrows?

(11 Posts)
happywheezer Sat 20-Aug-11 23:04:20

I'm so sad today after the death of one of the pilots in the red arrows.
My husband is a pilot and I'd never seen them until last year. I'd follow them over the country if I could! They even flew over our house last week!
We took our three year old last week to see their display in Bristol which was excellent and he loved it too. There was at least 7,000 people watching them in Bedminister.
So much that our new baby's room has little planes on the walls and my son said "there's the red arrows".
I hope that they carry on flying because they are fantastic.
With all this health and safety issues, AIBU to still want them to fly?

DogsBestFriend Sat 20-Aug-11 23:08:10

That depends on what THEY want.

I'm a huge fan of all aircraft, particularly the Arrows and am lucky enough to live near one of the big Airshow venues, have been a few times now.

I've every admiration for the skill of pilots and envy too, but on a day like today, all that pales and just sadness is left.

From a practical POV the Arrows are flown by experienced pilots who know the risks and it would be a nanny state which stopped them... unless they want to stop.

AgentZigzag Sat 20-Aug-11 23:11:30

I used to watch them practicing all the time, always amazing.

Very sad to see the pilot's died.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Aug-11 23:17:27

Yanbu. I live only a couple of miles away from their base so see them practising a lot. I'm really saddened by todays events.

MorelliOrRanger Sat 20-Aug-11 23:22:08

It's very sad, sad and it's up to them whether they want to continue.

I think they will, but I think they'll have a break for a bit.

Not that it makes a jot of difference to todays events, but there have been RA pilots killed before now so they have continued after that. sad

Glitterknickaz Sat 20-Aug-11 23:26:06

YANBU BUT they have to do what is best for them as a team right at this minute.

So very, very sad. If it's true that he deliberately remained with his aircraft to protect the public then he was an exceptionally brave man.

RIP Flt Lt Jon Egging

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Aug-11 23:30:01

Yes I remember when I was a kid a red arrow crashed into a house near here and I think the pilot was killed. Must have been nearly twenty years ago. They carried on after that. Two of them collided last year in Cyprus, but no fatalities then. They will carry on.

Salmotrutta Sat 20-Aug-11 23:34:03

I've been lucky enough to see them a couple of times - they sent shivers of awe and pride up my spine. Loved seeing them.

That pilot was a brave man sad

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Aug-11 23:36:05

According to Wikipedia a red arrow pilot has been killed in an accident before, in 1988.

backwardpossom Sat 20-Aug-11 23:38:36

YANBU I love the Red Arrows, too. We took DS to see a display at RAF Lossiemouth just before his 2nd birthday and he absolutely loved it. Almost as much as I did! smile

PrincesNewWife Sat 20-Aug-11 23:42:38

I love the Red arrows so much. I have seen them hundreds of times, and never fail to get excited whenever they fly over my house. Very sad news today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now