Talk

Advanced search

RED ARROWS

(24 Posts)
tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 22:54:18

Before I get flamed I know this is in the wrong area but it gets the highest traffic. I just wanted people to know that after the tragedy that happened in Bournemouth today in which red 4 crashed Killing the pilot Jon Egging there are 2 memorial events happening tommorow.

People are being asked to wear red to turn Bournemouth into a sea of red in a mark of respect to him. The air show is continuing as planned as that is what the pilots have asked for however the arrows will not fly.

Also at 8:30pm tommorow night there isa candle/latern event near the pier.

I thought i'd post it incase anyone lived local enough and wanted to attened. We are going down.

Rip red 4

Bump. Nowhere near Bournemouth, but it sounds like a lovely idea.

LineRunner Sat 20-Aug-11 22:58:46

I've lived in a few different places in the UK in my life, and the Red Arrows have flown over every one. They are awesome.

The pilot was incredibly brave.

DogsBestFriend Sat 20-Aug-11 23:00:32

Nowhere near Bournemouth either but I'd be there wearing red if I were.

So sad. sad

Did the pilot die? I saw this on BBC news earlier. How tragic sad

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 23:06:44

Yes shopping the Mod made a statment a couple of hours ago saying he had died. Very sad indeed sad

adamschic Sat 20-Aug-11 23:11:17

Poor guy, he musn't have had enough time once he'd flown away from the houses into the field, to get himself out safely sad so brave.

I watch them every year and the displays never fail to move me and I am in awe of the skill it involves.

No-where near Bournemouth so cannot pay my respects in this way.

Tanith Sat 20-Aug-11 23:11:43

Very sorry to hear tonight's news. sad

I don't see why we can't join in with Bournemouth's tribute, too. I'm nowhere near, but I shall wear red and dig out DS's Red Arrows t-shirt for him.

tjacksonpfc Sat 20-Aug-11 23:44:14

Shamless bump

tjacksonpfc Sun 21-Aug-11 08:12:21

Morning all im up camera kit sorted and off for a drive to Bournemouth for today. Don't forget the 2 events today in memeory of red 4 wear something red and there is a candle/lantern event at Bournemouth pier at 8:30 pm tonight.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sun 21-Aug-11 08:16:52

I'll be pinning DS's Red Arrows badge to his TShirt today. We saw them just over a week ago, for the first time. RIP Red 4. sad

mumofsoontobelawstudent Sun 21-Aug-11 08:22:48

Not near Bournemouth but myself and DC will wear read today. We were hoping to see them next weekend, went to Wings and Wheels last year and DS2 (2 1/2) absolutely loved them. Red 4 was a very brave man. RIP

lazylula Sun 21-Aug-11 08:59:07

RIP Red 4. We were going to see them at the end of the week, ds1 (5) loves them and looks forward to seeing them every year.

stoppinchingthedummy Sun 21-Aug-11 09:09:48

This is terribly sad sad They were over by us about a fortnight ago, we didnt see them as my dd is terrified of the noise but ive seen them in the past. sad I hope that pilot rests in peace now sad poor man sad

QOD Sun 21-Aug-11 09:21:48

Its very sad sad - someone on here's brother is a Red Arrow I think - well a close relative anyway - can't quite remember.
RIP

tjacksonpfc Sun 21-Aug-11 09:49:21

I remember that qod it was her brother that was in the red arrows sad We have just arrived at Bournemouth and sight is amazing it is a sea of red around here very nice tribute.

TaraJaime Sun 21-Aug-11 10:55:00

I heard that he knew the plane was in trouble but did not eject early enough so he could guide the plane away from crashing into the dense housing or the hospital.
He was a true hero, who died doing the job he loved. RIP

sailorsgal Sun 21-Aug-11 11:56:12

DH ship is in the bay and they are lining up at 1pm in respect of the pilot who died.

slightlyunbalanced Sun 21-Aug-11 12:01:02

We were at the display yesterday. It's incredibally sad. Apparently he didn't eject as he was diverting the plane away from Castlepoint shopping centre which would've been packed on a say afternoon.

My thought are with his wife, colleagues and family.

joric Sun 21-Aug-11 13:37:54

Bump

TheOriginalFAB Sun 21-Aug-11 13:41:51

I haven't ever seen the red arrows but every time I read posts about the Mr Egging I get all teary.

My condolences to his family and friends.

herladyship Sun 21-Aug-11 14:06:08

We live in Lincolnshire, not far from the arrows base. They are such a familiar sight, we love to see them race over the house or to soar overhead when we are out on the riverbank with the dogs sad

Such terribly sad news, I imagine there will be some sort of official memorial in Lincoln. The mood here is very sad sad

zukiecat Sun 21-Aug-11 14:29:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tjacksonpfc Mon 22-Aug-11 00:51:49

Just back from bournemouth what a day there. Loads of people wearing red and a lovely lantern and candle display tonight on the beach. When ive had chance to sort through the 1700 pics ive got from today ill put some of the tribute ones on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now