Talk

Advanced search

to be desperate not to be in pain!

(17 Posts)
NorfolkBroad Sat 20-Aug-11 22:12:27

Am posting on behalf of my DP who 5 weeks ago had surgery to sort out some huge and troublesome fibroids. In the process of the op they put in a Mirena coil to try to sort out her horrendous periods. She was told to expect some pain for a while afterwards but she is really struggling with cramps every day and is wondering if it is ever going to stop. Does anyone have any experience of this? Was it worth having in the end and do the cramps stop within a few weeks, months?

lifechanger Sat 20-Aug-11 22:29:00

No experience, but i would strongly suggest going back to the GP if she's still struggling.

manticlimactic Sat 20-Aug-11 22:33:26

I managed to last 3 weeks in agony before I went back to the doc. She couldn't remove the coil so sent me to the hospital. The doctor there told me to give it a bit longer. I threatened to take the damn thing out myself if she didn't get it out.

The coil was lodged in my cervical wall (I think that's what they said as they were rummaging for it with their camera) so I'd get back to the doctors.

AfternoonDelight Sat 20-Aug-11 22:34:34

Definitely get to the doctors asap. It shouldn't be causing that much pain. Something is not right. Hope she feels better soon.

manticlimactic Sat 20-Aug-11 22:38:02

Oh and I finally went on the mini pill (Cerazette) three months ago, even though I was a bit wary of the erraticness of periods - I like to know when they're coming. But have to say my periods have all but stopped and if I do bleed it's very very light and the cramps are nowhere near as horrendous as they were.

How old is you DP?

NorfolkBroad Sat 20-Aug-11 22:43:19

she is 48. thanks guys, we are really grateful for your responses.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-11 22:45:12

I had the coil out after 4 weeks. I couldn't bear the cramping. And heavy bleeding. Turns out my body had rejected it. So I was not where it was meant to be. Def go get checked out.

Sounds awful. Surely she shouldn't still be in pain after all this time if it was fitted correctly. Time to head back to the doc's and throw some toys out of the pram.

NorfolkBroad Sat 20-Aug-11 22:54:42

thank you all, will head to GP asap as advised. Chickens....love that name!

Sassyfrassy Sat 20-Aug-11 23:13:58

Might be worth asking about trying the contraceptive implant. It sorted my periods out, only get them every 3-4 months now, and really light bleeding. And it's minimal pain putting it in and taking it out if she doesnt get on with it.

FabbyChic Sat 20-Aug-11 23:19:04

Considering her age and the fact that she is soon to be menopausal is the coil really worth it? I'd never have one and I'm 47.

I would say that something is not right and she needs urgent medical help, I'd go to casualty to be honest.

snippywoo2 Sat 20-Aug-11 23:30:04

Considering her age and the fact that she is soon to be menopausal is the coil really worth it? I'd never have one and I'm 47.

My mum didn't have her menopause till she was 56 so there could be a few years left yet tbh

Baffledandbewildered Sun 21-Aug-11 00:33:59

I'm 45 and have had one for three months ...I hated it at first and wanted it out it took about 7/8 weeks to settle down ish. Still had problems ie bleeding ect go back to hospital or GP and ask for a scan to see if it is in the right place and not moved. Good luck and you are so nice to have come on here for help

NorfolkBroad Sun 21-Aug-11 22:23:48

thanks again all xx

RainbowSpiral Mon 22-Aug-11 13:38:24

That level of pain does not sound normal. I only had cramps on the day of insertion. I'd certainly suggest she goes back to the doctors.

summertimeblews Mon 22-Aug-11 13:51:04

My mum didn't have her menopause till she was 56 so there could be a few years left yet tbh

noooooooooooooo puts hands over ears and hums loudly

x2boys Mon 22-Aug-11 14:52:56

I had the mirena coil fitted a year ago after the birth of my second child i had cramps on and off for a few months and have hardly had a period since [ mind you have a very erratic cycle anyway as have pcos] the cramps settled down and i,m happy with it now hourses four courses though and i guess it doesent suit everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now