Talk

Advanced search

to *want to* poke DH in the eye?

(29 Posts)
LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 18:06:19

dd (7 months) and I argue regularly over who gets the remote. I have taken the batteries out of one that never gets used and given it to her.

Dh returned from work and said I shouldn't give in to her. AIBU to think he is taking the piss telling me not to give in to her and that until he spends 12 hours a day at home alone with her it really isn't his business how many remotes I feed the baby?

ObiWan Sat 20-Aug-11 18:08:55

Ha ha - why does he object? Are they engaged in a power struggle?

HedleyLamarr Sat 20-Aug-11 18:10:00

YANBU. Especially if it's one that isn't used. Leave him at home with her tomorrow for about 6 hours. That should change his mind. smile

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 18:18:17

Good I knew I wasn't being unreasonable.

If there were a power struggle you could bet DD would win, and that in the 6 hours dh would resort to crying! [evil grin]

milkshakejake Sat 20-Aug-11 18:21:10

no you are not BU, and you are not 'giving in' - you are doing a very sensible thing, giving her a non-working one to play with! Unfortunately my kids only ever wanted the working ones and seemed to realise that the dud ones we gave them didn't do anything annoying!

tell him to wind his neck in.

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 18:23:46

milkshakejake

Luckily dd isn't old enough to have figured out my cunning plan, she is happy with coloured buttons for now. It won't be long though so I shall enjoy the quet until then

PervyMuskrat Sat 20-Aug-11 18:24:13

YANBU. Glad that someone else does this! I get a few funny looks when I take DS's remote out of my handbag and let him play with it, but it keeps him quiet and means I can enjoy my tea and cake in peace.

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 18:25:27

grin love your name btw pervymuskrat

VeraCanSignChocolateAndWine Sat 20-Aug-11 18:31:09

Sorry but your post made me laugh.
YABU not to have poked DH in the eye already.

Wait until dd wants a mobile phone. give her DH's, he'll soon give her a dud one My dd2 had learnt, by 10 months, how to unlock mine. Cheeky all be it rather clever madam.

mayorquimby Sat 20-Aug-11 19:54:57

"until he spends 12 hours a day at home alone with her it really isn't his business how many remotes I feed the baby?"

great attitude. I'm at home so i get to decide what happens.

Sofabitch Sat 20-Aug-11 20:00:16

What is the obsession with remotes phones laptops in fact anything that is not a toy. Yanbu it's normal for babies to be obsessed with remotes.

blackeyedsusan Sat 20-Aug-11 20:01:03

classic distraction technique.... they do like to think they know best these men, even though they only spend a fraction of the time with their offspring. <sigh> I am sorry to say it does not get better...

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:01:07

Dh is an equal parent for the important things.

But if I were working and came home I would never try and tell him what he could or couldn't do to make his life slightly easier in the day. Sometimes you just need a break or the toilet. I don't think he understands that.

akaemmafrost Sat 20-Aug-11 20:01:55

"great attitude. I'm at home so i get to decide what happens."

Er Yes, while he is not there, how else would it work?

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:02:48

babies know we are using the gadgets to ignore them so they try and tale them away. Babies are clever than me than they need to be

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:04:01

blackeyedsusan you will be flamed, but its true in dh's case!...

mayorquimby Sat 20-Aug-11 20:17:10

"great attitude. I'm at home so i get to decide what happens."

Er Yes, while he is not there, how else would it work?"

Presumably the same applies to the household income then. Until you are out earning it it's none of your business how it's spent

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:19:17

Not really, I supported him while he studied a language- how he spent our money (that was earned by me) during the day was up to him.

Fontsnob Sat 20-Aug-11 20:22:24

I think the point is that if you are at home, you don't tell the workon person how to do their job. So why should the working person tell the stay at home person how to do their job?

Fontsnob Sat 20-Aug-11 20:23:58

Why would you want to dictate the day of the person at home with the DC?

fedupofnamechanging Sat 20-Aug-11 20:26:11

mayorquimby, the two things are not really comparable. For a sahp, looking after the child while the other one works is their job. the wohp has to trust them to do it as they see fit. For the OP's dh to complain, is like the OP going into workplace and telling him how to do his job.

Obviously, they share the important decisions regarding both the baby and how the money is spent, but giving the baby the remote is such a piddling little thing. It's like the OP telling her dh he shouldn't buy a coffee with their money.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sat 20-Aug-11 20:26:13

Have you got a spare remote to poke him with, Lola?

If not, use the sharp end of a pen or pencil to make your point in his eye grin

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:28:23

I think the point is that if you are at home, you don't tell the workon person how to do their job. So why should the working person tell the stay at home person how to do their job

Exactly Fontsnob I am not going to tell dh how to do his job at work it would be ridiculous even though his job does impact both of our lives. I trust him to do his best

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 20:33:08

Have you got a spare remote to poke him with, Lola?

I'd have to take it off dd and frankly that kid scares me

fuzzywuzzy Sat 20-Aug-11 20:35:58

If it's such a huge issue to OP's DH, I'm sure he's got a brilliant alternative which works, in the event he hasn't Op's strategy works and isnt hurting anyone and making her life easier. My 2yr old DN goes for any mobile phone she finds lying around, she can unlock them all and even dial numbers, we employ various distracting techniques with her too.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now