Talk

Advanced search

Re: this chris brown 'apology'?

(21 Posts)
mayorquimby Sat 20-Aug-11 09:55:34

on first viewing I thought it was actually quite funny and that the guys glibness was a good tactic to mirror the appathy that many in the enterttainment music have to Chris Browns conviction but then a friend was arguing that it could be viewed as someone using DV as a means for some cheap laughs and to settle a petty score. FWIW my humour would be quite similar to his and I make a raft of jokes which for many would probably fall the wrong side of tasteful wrt all manner of issues, however if I do make a joke about something such as DV or racism it's not that I'd be making a joke based in the belief that these things are inherently funny it's normally about peoples attitude to them or satirising stereotypes about them. Not that this is relevant just trying to give some context about my attitude towards jokes about sensitive subject matter.
Anyway I know this place is good at putting forward arguments about dv and abuse that i'd never see or think of.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjUKwoHUyw

festi Sat 20-Aug-11 10:07:03

I dont agree with your friend, I found it funny and the guy was delivering a very important message, he was mocking chris brown and using Dv to get a laugh.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 20-Aug-11 11:33:06

It is a very clever piece of media manipulation, giving that that levy provoked the incident.

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 11:39:23

I agree with you. I don't think it was a cheap laugh at all. IMO it didn't provoke a laugh as much as a wry grin...

RealityVonCrapp Sat 20-Aug-11 11:50:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 11:51:27

There - Reality put it better!

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Sat 20-Aug-11 11:56:58

I thought it was excellent.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 20-Aug-11 11:57:37

I chuckled at that. I've been on the receiving end of Team Breezy. I wouldn't say it's "mocking" DV. It's mocking Chris "Why Doesn't The Media Love Me More" Brown. The boy think he is owed something by the media, and constantly bitches (or used to on twitter) about his singles and albums not reaching higher in the charts.

HeIsSpartacus Sat 20-Aug-11 12:01:23

I liked this too. I only wish Mike Tyson was treated to a bit of Levy's humour because society and media seems to be perfectly ok with him being convicted of rape and going on to have a film career (albeit crap but hey, he still got paid to be in The Hangover).

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Sat 20-Aug-11 12:03:11

Oh, that was excellent. He was not laughing at domestic violence at all. He was having a go at chris brown. and very well too. And he made some VERY good points indeed.

RedBlanket Sat 20-Aug-11 12:07:10

It's very funny.

landrover Sat 20-Aug-11 12:36:58

I Love this!!!!!!

Catslikehats Sat 20-Aug-11 12:45:28

It's very funny and as Reality says is mocking the appallingly forgiving attitude of the media to what was an extremely serious violent incident.

How Levy managed to keep a straight face I do not know.

PS how did he "provoke the incident"???

stripeybump Sat 20-Aug-11 12:48:51

I thought it was really good. Not fan of Fox News but thought this was spot on, shocking yes, but that is helpful media tactics - gets people watching and keeping CB the target of mockery and derision, as he should be angry

The people in the studio seemed to be laughing nervously though!

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 20-Aug-11 13:29:01

TheQueenOfDenial
"PS how did he "provoke the incident"???"

Brown tweeted "planking"
Levy responded with "you spelt punching wrong"

corlan Sat 20-Aug-11 13:52:07

That was very funny.

How is Chris Brown able to carry on his career after beating his girlfriend black and blue? If he'd taken a dump on the flag, we'd probably never have hard of him again but seemingly people find it easy to forgive beating up a woman -it's pretty sick really.

Catslikehats Sat 20-Aug-11 14:02:38

Boney - sorry I thought you meant he provoked the DV incident.

Damn right he provoked CB with that tweet. CB should be provoked, it is disgusting the way so many people ignore what he did - particularly liked Levy's comment that a man can be so loved by woman having beaten another woman. How true angry

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 20-Aug-11 14:19:58

TheQueenOfDenial

I agree with everything Levy said.

Its a very clever piece of media from start to finish.

NevermindtheNargles Sat 20-Aug-11 14:35:02

I thought it was The Daily Show to start with. I think it's brilliant.

giyadas Sat 20-Aug-11 14:42:15

Love it. Obviously comes from righteous (sp?) anger, not because he thinks DV is funny. Was quite a powerful condemnation imo.
Off to watch it again... grin

LolaRennt Sat 20-Aug-11 15:04:57

That's brilliant and moved FOX news (a tiny bit) up in my estimation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now