Talk

Advanced search

To think the victims of the Lockerbie Bombing deserve better

(43 Posts)
Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:38:20

It is two years since Megrahi was released as he only had three months to live.

He is convicted of killing 270 people and has served eight years.

Many of the victims families believe he was a scapegoat and not guilty in the first place. He appealed and was still found guilty.

It was always bizarre to release the biggest mass murderer of our time because he was ill, now two years on, he is still alive and we are a bigger laughing stock than ever.

fivegomadindorset Sat 20-Aug-11 08:39:50

As far as I am aware the reason he was given 3 months to live was that he was refusing treatment over here. Once back in Libya he was given treatment hence the fact that he is still alive.

didyouseewhatshedid Sat 20-Aug-11 08:42:17

It's politics, innit?

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:43:01

It's a farce five but it is just not funny. Why on earth would any sane nation, which I believe Scotland to be, release a mass murderer after 8 years because they are "compassionate"?

It is being reported today that he is getting drugs in Libya that he couldn't get in the UK.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:43:41

DIDY I remember reading about this at the time and it wasn't long after his release that some major oil deal was signed.

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 08:46:01

What major oil deal?

didyouseewhatshedid Sat 20-Aug-11 08:47:24

Not sure it is oil really. More, an attempt to keep relations sweet with that part of the world.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:47:44

I'll have to go and regoogle it all it was a couple of years ago now. But it was reportedly wrapped up with oil. I'll see if I can refind any of the articles.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:51:28

From The Sunday Times August 30, 2009 Precised down with link to the full article.

Lockerbie bomber 'set free for oil'Jason decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6814939.ece

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 08:54:10

That would be good Mitmoo as I would be interested to read it. IIRC though the link is between Libyan oil and the British government whereas it was the Scottish government that released Megrahi.

It was in my mind that the British government disagreed vociferously with the Scottish government at the time. But as you say it was a couple of years ago so I could have it wrong.

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 08:54:51

x post

stressedHEmum Sat 20-Aug-11 08:55:28

Scottish law dictates that prisoners with terminal illness, where the likelihood of re-offending is low, be released on compassionate grounds. The Scottish Government is bound by Scots Law , it's as simple as that. Had they not released Megrahi on the basis of the evidence to hand at the time, they would have left themselves open to a, very probably successful, legal challenge through the courts.

The fact that he is still alive does not mean that there is something corrupt about the decision, it means that he still has a terminal illness but is being kept alive by drugs. Debating this issue is pointless, the only possible decision at the time was to release him.

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 08:56:57

Hmm - I really don't understand that article at all!! What exactly is it saying then do you think?

ginmakesitallok Sat 20-Aug-11 08:57:52

Agree with stressedHEmum. I think his release probably also had something to do with the fact that his appeal would have shown up the farce that was the original trial and that the Scottish/UK Govt would have had a great deal of egg on their faces - much easier to release him on compassionate grounds

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 08:59:33

Thanks stressed that was my understanding. The article however seems to indicate a direct link but then adds in that he was released on compassionate grounds anyway.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:02:41

Handsome google Megrahi release and Oil you will find many other articles that was just the first one I came across and it was The Times rather than the DM. I'll see if I can find any others.

stressed Scottish law has convicted him of mass murder considering him a "low risk" of reoffending is frankly laughable if it was not so frightening. IF they believed he as a mass murder, able to plot the blowing up of a plane and escape justice for years, then he would easily be able to train others in the art of terrorism.

It just doesn't wash, never did.

K999 Sat 20-Aug-11 09:04:14

Just because newspapers print articles trying to point to a connection between oil and his release doesn't mean its true .....

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:05:19

GIN his original trial probably was a farce but the time to correct that was on his appeal which also failed. If they'd have found the conviction was not safe or flawed, then release him, that makes sense.

To be adamant he murdered 270 people then release him is akin to complete and utter madness.

Handsome the article seems to me to be London were pulling the strings and The Scottish Minister was just the fall guy.

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 09:06:27

Mitmoo I'll have a look too - quite interesting isn't it? Even within that one article there appeared to be contradictions -but maybe it's just a bit too early in the morning!

K999 Sat 20-Aug-11 09:08:12

Mitmoo, how do you know the original trial was a farce? Were you there?

handsomeharry Sat 20-Aug-11 09:09:01

We keep x posting!!

The weird thing about that is that it seemed as though it was the other way round IYSWIM. That the Scottish government was going directly against the British government - so what the article is saying then that that was what it was supposed to look like but in fact the British government had a vested interest in his release?

Think I've got it!

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:10:57

05 September 2009 Edinburgh Evening News.

JUSTICE Secretary Jack Straw acknowledged today that the prospect of trade and oil deals with Libya played a part in the Government's handling of Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi.
Mr Straw said the issue of trade played "a very big part" in his decision to include Megrahi in a prisoner transfer agreement (PTA) struck with Libya in 2007.

He cited a deal which was being sought by BP at the time Megrahi was included in the PTA, adding of the trade consideration: "I'm unapologetic about that.

"Libya was a rogue state. We wanted to bring it back into the fold. And yes, that included trade because trade is an essential part of it and subsequently there was the BP deal."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/lockerbie/Straw-Oil-part-of-Megrahi.5621123.jp

Another one from Scotland this time.

K999 Sat 20-Aug-11 09:13:51

Megrahi wasn't released as part of a PTA. he was released on compassionate grounds.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:13:54

I'm not sure what went on to be honest but remember reading about it widely at the time and it certainly seems as if there was an oil deal behind his release. The British government seem to have wanted it originally as a part of a prisoner transfer agreement which for whatever reason didn't go ahead. So the compassionate grounds farce was found.

Mitmoo Sat 20-Aug-11 09:15:53

X post K999 Yep that is what the Scottish article has said. I'm trying to supply a few articles to put them up for debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now