Talk

Advanced search

to ask what age u think girls should be allowed to wear make-up?

(36 Posts)
griffalo2 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:27:54

I dont have a daughter but if I did no way would I allow it before at least 13.
Seeing little girls wandering around town today,plastered in it.made me shudder,its pityful.
Why allow them to do this? They should be at home playing with dollies

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 22:29:47

Ignoring the sexist last line of your OP.....

I'm not sure there is a 'blanket' age as such but I'd say not before around 13 too.

I've got boys but if I had a daughter and she really wanted to wear make-up, I'd at least take her to buy it and then teach her to apply it properly like I did with my DNs.

littlebluespring Fri 19-Aug-11 22:30:08

I let DD (10) play with makeup in the house, but she isn't allowed to wear it in public. This is not helped by the primary school telling the children that subtle makeup is allowed on non-uniform day.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 19-Aug-11 22:30:45

Yabu

honeymom Fri 19-Aug-11 22:33:49

I let my dd start playing with make up at about 7. To be fair she is a total tomboy who only really wants to play with make up on girly sleepovers.

Plus I have been k ow to paint my other dd's toe/finger nails like the tart cute little girl she wants to copy mummy.

azazello Fri 19-Aug-11 22:34:33

At home, if she wants to. She doesn't try on my make up but does play with face creams etc and I see it as an extension of that. I'd far rather DD played with my makeup and got herself plastered in it now so it is a game and something fun rather than worrying when she's 13/14 and thinks her very beautiful appearance needs improvement.

Tortoise Fri 19-Aug-11 22:35:05

My 7 and 8yr old DDs discovered tester make up.in boots the other day! I was at the till paying (opposite make up, small boots store) and DDs came over with purple eyes and bright pink lips!
Luckily I don't mind. I never wear make up so wouldn't have a clue how to teach them to do it properly. I don't mind if they are having fun.

2shoes Fri 19-Aug-11 22:36:09

yabu
I think all kids should wear make up
boys especially, I mean how can a boy be a goth unless he know how to apply eye liner

griffalo2 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:37:34

I apologise for sounding sexist,didnt mean it that way.my ds had a dolly and pushchair when younger

SurprisEs Fri 19-Aug-11 22:38:37

I see 16 as an appropriate age because that's when I felt I was turning into a woman.
Saying that, I don't think I'll know my true feelings on it until my daughter becomes a teenager.
Definitely not before 13.
At home I don't think there's an age restriction as it is just a bit of fun.

Rowena8482 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:39:39

My DD has had play make up sets since she was about 2 - she is a really girly girl and loves anything pink, sparkly or glittery. She is the only girl among four brothers, and has made all of them up from time to time, including Gothson who is 12 years older than her and gave in gracefully when he knew he was outclassed lol. That said, I wouldn't let her wear "real makeup" yet - I don't like it on kids. I hardly ever wear any myself though which might have a bearing on my views. I think probably by the time she's about 14-15ish if she wants some proper make up it will be ok, but I will get her to practice and/or get someone who knows how to teach her to apply it properly so she doesn't look like a clown or something.

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 22:40:21

Perhaps it's just me blush

I absolutely detested 'dollies' when I was little and I still don't like them for some reason.

Far too much of a tomboy I suppose grin

FabbyChic Fri 19-Aug-11 22:41:13

Honestly? 16. I didn't wear any until I was almost 17.

littlebluespring Fri 19-Aug-11 22:42:31

Really WL? I thought all kids played with mini human effigies at some point. Just when sold to boys they are called 'action figures.'

Didn't you even have a mini Han Solo dolly?

evilkensmum Fri 19-Aug-11 22:43:57

I will allow my DD to wear make up from about 13/14. However I will insist it is good quality make-up and will instill a proper cleaning routine. Cheap, nasty make up ruined my teenage skin. There is no way in hell I would let her use the muck that comes from lelli kellies or 'toy' make up.

ExitPursuedByATroll Fri 19-Aug-11 22:44:35

At about the same age as she chooses to write you instead of u.

Graciescotland Fri 19-Aug-11 22:44:49

Judging from the photos of my youth a minimum of 16 with a make up lesson beforehand

griffalo2 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:45:59

At home I suppose its not so bad just innocent fun.but out and about with wrong clothes on too,id want my little girl to be little for as long as possible.
Isnt make-up and sexy clothes all about attracting male attention?

AgentZigzag Fri 19-Aug-11 22:48:10

It's not you worra, I loathed dolls when I was younger, sinister creepy hard babies with freaky faces.

Playing with make up - whenever they ask I suppose.

Wearing it out seriously - about 35? (got two DDs, hypocritical and wear make up every day myself grin)

littlebluespring Fri 19-Aug-11 22:48:43

I think most make up or clothes for under sixteens is about fitting in with other girls or about expression. I don't think the intention of the child is to attract male attention.

My dds are 14 and 16. DD1 started wearing it at 14 and dd2 has just started in with a bit of mascara. I did let them have nail varnish quite a bit earlier than that though and they had 'play' make up from about 8ish, I think - but only for in the house or for fancy dress costumes.

mrsshears Fri 19-Aug-11 22:49:28

my dd is nearly 14 and is allowed to wear a tinted moisturiser,mascara and a small amount of eyeliner,however if she had her way she would walk around looking like lilly savage hmm

I dont like her wearing it but they all seem to nowadays,she certainly isnt in the minority.

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 22:49:41

Lol Ziggers...they were just far too girly for me grin

EdithWeston Fri 19-Aug-11 22:51:28

DD sometimes puts make up on - then again she sometimes dresses up as Spiderman. It's a huge treat when we're flying to have a little go with testers at the airport. Little girls who are just having fun don't bother me at all. My DSes did a bit too, but less than her, and stopped younger. None of them get it from me, I hardly wear any (except nail varnish, which they all love too) and don't own much.

But really wearing make up regularly with the aim of prettification (IYSWIM) would bother me. I wouldn't like it until mid teens (when you wouldn't be able to stop it anyhow). And even then, I'd want her to think about what she was doing and why. Make up is a main stream part of female grooming, but I'd want her to be aware of the signals that different styles send out. And then, if she chooses to use it, to do so in a way that suits and fosters her take on the world. Not just follow, but think.

sixpinetrees Fri 19-Aug-11 22:53:17

I wore loads more make up as a teenager than I do as a middles aged woman. I bought my first lipstick from boots when I was in Y7 which was fairly normal at the time. DD is only 6 and she has asked for nail varnish before (at other peoples houses as I don't own any) and I've always let her on the understanding it is to be removed before school. I think a bit of lip gloss at a disco is fine from fairly young if the child asks but pre pubescent girls look odd if they have full slap and I think I would strongly discourage dd from it until she is around 13/14. I don't think wearing make up means you have to give up other activities. I see plenty of boys managing to play with dollies with their hair all spiked up with gel.

I don't think it is about attracting male attention so much as conforming within your group which is very important to people at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now