We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

telly in room

(30 Posts)
devonshiredumpling Fri 19-Aug-11 22:07:54

aibu in being fed up that despite me not wanting my nearly five year old not to have a telly in his room got home from work today to discover that he not only has a telly but a digibox i wanted his room to be peaceful and technology free so he could sleep am i just being prissy

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 22:09:29

How did he manage that?

cjbartlett Fri 19-Aug-11 22:09:31

yanbu

decisions like that have to be joint decisions

I'd be really fecked off tbh

Seona1973 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:09:44

neither of mine have one at age 7 and 4 and they are not getting one any time soon either. YANBU

EuphemiaMcGonagall Fri 19-Aug-11 22:09:46

Who put them there? Santa? confused

squeakytoy Fri 19-Aug-11 22:10:06

Assuming the 5yo didnt go out and buy then install this, your husband is being a git for ignoring your wishes. A child that age does not need a tv in their room.

I would unplug it, and take the remotes away.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Fri 19-Aug-11 22:10:42

wtf does a 4yo need a digibox for!?! My 4yo nephew has a portable dvd player for if he wakes up early and can't get back to sleep, and thats all!

cjbartlett Fri 19-Aug-11 22:10:43

it's the sort of thing my mil would do 'oh I saw a lovely pink ds for dd'. er no that's my decision not yours,if you buy that I'll ram it where the sun don't shine

sorry for rant grin

honeymom Fri 19-Aug-11 22:11:23

I enjoy the fact that I can put a film on at 6 pm when I'm having a long day and get an hour or 2's peace at witching hour. Plus the lay ins are lovely once they have worked out how to put the tv on first thing.

If you didn't want your ds to have a tv in his room did you discuss that with the person who put the tv there? If you did then you are not being unreasonable but if you've never mentioned it then you can't expect people to read your mind.

CocktailQueen Fri 19-Aug-11 22:11:30

Agree with the OPs! This should be a joint decision by you and your h. How cr4ap! Unplug and remove remotes. And ask your h to tell your kids why.

FabbyChic Fri 19-Aug-11 22:11:49

My kids are 23 and 18 and always had a TV in their room, did them no harm either, didn't stop them from having friends, going out, doing homework, eating, shitting or bathing.

I can never understand all this fuss about not having a TV in a child's room its an archaic stance.

Melly20MummyToPoppy Fri 19-Aug-11 22:13:28

fwiw i didn't have my own tv till i was 17, and even then it was only DPs old crappy one!

skybluepearl Fri 19-Aug-11 22:13:48

I'd remove it. I used to have a TV in my room and i'd watch tons of rubbish late. real waste of time.

startwig1982 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:14:48

Why would a tv stop you from shitting???

devonshiredumpling Fri 19-Aug-11 22:15:50

i told my dp that i did not want my lo not to have it but he did it anyway while i am ranting i did not want my ds to play with guns but he came back from a trip with one seems to me my dp just does not want to listen

cjbartlett Fri 19-Aug-11 22:16:07

my uni mate had to have a tv in her room because she'd always had one to get to sleep by

so she set a timer to turn it off when she was asleep

so it can cause problems

Sandalwood Fri 19-Aug-11 22:20:57

"i told my dp that i did not want my lo not to have it "
He took you literally.

usualsuspect Fri 19-Aug-11 22:24:30

What is a lo?

littlebluespring Fri 19-Aug-11 22:26:27

What is a digibox?

devonshiredumpling Fri 19-Aug-11 22:28:18

lo is little one and a digibox sits on top of analogue tvs and lets you get digital signals

usualsuspect Fri 19-Aug-11 22:29:16

A little digibox?

perfumedlife Fri 19-Aug-11 22:29:53

I'm with FabbyChic, can't for the life of me see what the fuss is about TVs. I put one in ds's room before he was born, figured if I was going to be bf at four am I may as well have the news on, or listen to music on the freeview. Ds can take or leave TV. I think when you restrict things it makes them more alluring.

Having said that, joint decisions are the way forward.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 19-Aug-11 22:34:09

Much bigger problems than the tv if he is point blank doing as he pleases.

Seona1973 Fri 19-Aug-11 22:37:02

my kids watch enough tv during the day so have little need for a tv in their rooms. Maybe they will get one when they are older. I didnt have one in the room until I was a teenager and it never did me any harm.

MindyMacready Fri 19-Aug-11 22:40:32

Oh good, babestation for 5 year olds FFS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now