Talk

Advanced search

People who know about culture and stuff...come here and settle an argument!

(179 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:23:40

A year ago I bought a set of very nice wine glasses a bit like these from Laura Ashley...I got them on sale and tbh because I don't even DRINK wine, I thought it was nice of me as DH had no decent glasses to have wine and he likes it.

DH thinks I'm an oik because "You just don't drink wine from a red glass" apparently hmm

He says that to see the colour of the wine is part of the "experience" of drinking it.

He's a fecking wine snob...he'l sit there discussing the stuff with his parents and it annoys me.

So. Am I an unclutured oik? Eh? Am I? AIBU to buy red wine glasses?

bruxeur Fri 19-Aug-11 20:25:27

You're an oik, YABU, he's right.

It's like serving tea in a dark mug. Looks all wrong and detracts from the experience.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 19-Aug-11 20:26:58

Of course you're not.
All my wine glasses have broken, all my tumblers are in the dish washer and I'm drinking mine from a half pint glass at the moment.grin

MrsRhettButler Fri 19-Aug-11 20:27:15

I think they'd do for red wine.......

ChumleeIsMyHomeboy Fri 19-Aug-11 20:27:29

Yup - sorry - you are being a bit of an oik for precisely the reason bruxeur gives!

sixpinetrees Fri 19-Aug-11 20:27:55

You are an uncultured oik

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:28:33

bruxeur But I LIKE my tea in a dark mug! Well in one of those rough brown pottery mugs....it tastes much better.

VaginaPuddleduck Fri 19-Aug-11 20:28:38

I know nothing about being cultured, but I agree your DH is right.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 19-Aug-11 20:29:09

I must be an oik too then.
<proud>

LineRunner Fri 19-Aug-11 20:29:18

I was once served a chocolate mousse in a russett glass bowl with a dark stem. Of course I immediately threw it into the waiter's face and demanded the chef be killed for his impertinence.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:29:28

Ah crap....I don't like the way this is going. I told DH i would report back what the MN jury said. sad angry

Andrewofgg Fri 19-Aug-11 20:31:10

You can drink anything that's liquid from anything with a hole in the top.

bruxeur Fri 19-Aug-11 20:31:12

As any barrister (and teacher, I expect) will tell you - never ask a question you don't know the answer to, especially with an audience.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:32:22

Bollocks to that bruxeurHow the fuck would I learn anything then? How would anyone? If I only asked questions in private I would miss an awful lot!

HandMini Fri 19-Aug-11 20:33:42

Yes, the glasses you bought are inappropriate for wine, but how nice you are to have bought them for him. Claim them for yourself, fill them with your drink of choice and swig away. wine

LineRunner Fri 19-Aug-11 20:33:47

Pour the wine in a sodding carafe then first, if your DH wants the utterly overrated 'appreciation by rote' experience of colour, bouquet, blah blah.

The glasses are cool. smile

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:35:53

Hand Yes...I will fill them to the brim with gin and get smashed!

Line he cant care that much as he's not run out and bought more! grin

ShoutyHamster Fri 19-Aug-11 20:35:53

Tell him they weren't for wine, there's gonna be no more wine chez RagDoll, it's Jagermeister all the way from now on... and that the glasses will set off its acrid charms to perfection grin

bruxeur Fri 19-Aug-11 20:36:02

The glassesare not cool. The glasses are The Pier circa 1997.

MadamDeathstare Fri 19-Aug-11 20:36:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Fri 19-Aug-11 20:37:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bestb411pm Fri 19-Aug-11 20:37:57

Strictly speaking, your DH is correct - watch people on tv discussing it and they'll be raving about the golden colour, or the rich red with a hint of purple blah, blah, blah.....

BUT unless he sits there with his mouth hanging open trying not to let a gob full of wine spill out so he can 'breathe oxygen over the surface of the wine to release it's full potential' hmm he's not doing the whole connoisseur thing properly anyway so should develop his palette describing skills to cover both areas that are apparently lacking.....

Or steal all his wine and replace it with Lambrini - every single time he buys a new bottle.

LoveMyGirls Fri 19-Aug-11 20:40:23

Ask him if he realises theres a recession on, he's lucky to have the wine never mind the glasses to drink from, personally I'd drink it out of owt wink

I'm not at all cultured, or a wine snob BUT I do love a glass of good red wine and being able to see it in the glass is an indication of how good it is before I neck it.

Sorry, your DH is right.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 20:44:37

MadamD I actually like those! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now