Talk

Advanced search

to want these continuous sales calls to stop.

(16 Posts)
carpwidow Fri 19-Aug-11 17:13:16

I thought I had arranged for my number to be blocked and for a while I didn't receive sales calls. However, I'm getting about half a dozen a day now and they're mostly asking me about my satellite TV, endowment policies or being missold payment protection on a loan. How can I get these stopped again as I'm being increasingly rude to the poor people who are only trying to earn a few quid?

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 17:18:38

Google TPS and register with them.

It takes a couple of months for them to really die down but it works.

Doesn't do anything about the stupid recorded messages though. I get about 3 of them every day angry

gillybean2 Fri 19-Aug-11 17:20:50

Telephone prefereance service. If you are registered with them you simply tell the cold caller that you are registered with the telephone preference service and are they aware they can receive a fine of up to £2000 for calling you. They usually hang up pretty fast and don't call again.

www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

carpwidow Fri 19-Aug-11 17:21:35

Thanks worraliberty will do smile

EuphemiaMcGonagall Fri 19-Aug-11 17:21:37

Say to the caller: "Please remove me from your list as I do not want to receive any more calls."

If they persist, report them to Ofcom.

carpwidow Fri 19-Aug-11 17:22:21

..and gillybean2 - will get on to it now.

applecrumbleandcream Fri 19-Aug-11 17:23:42

I know what you mean, I am currently being stalked by British Gas who keep ringing every night at around 7.15 pm just while I'm getting dd into bed. I have spoke to them and told them I'm not interested in having my domestic supply with them but they don't seem to be able to take no for an answer.

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 17:24:51

You're welcome smile

You should register too applecrumble

carpwidow Fri 19-Aug-11 17:26:25

Just went on to register and, as I thought, I am already registered with them. Will have to take a harder line and stop being soft, based on my knowledge of call centres from Slumdog Millionaire!

RubberDuck Fri 19-Aug-11 17:28:37

We're with TPS, but so many calls come from out of country now it doesn't really work. My best tactic is to use caller ID - I never pick up on INTERNATIONAL, WITHHELD or UNAVAILABLE. That cuts out most of the sales calls.

carpwidow Fri 19-Aug-11 17:30:20

We were plagued once before my someone who kept trying to sell us life insurance. In the end DH made an appointment for him to call and had out all the family photo albums and kept the poor man here for ages looking at photos of him on Brighton beach aged 5; Auntie Doris' wedding (whole family and friends shot and explained who everyone was and how they were related; Christmas Day 1973.... etc, etc, hilarious and very effective. Penny dropped and salesman realised was a p-take after about an hour and a half!

Bandwithering Fri 19-Aug-11 17:34:49

I had a guy to the door yesterday, who looked like smashy from smashy and nicey,and he was telling me all about eircom phone watch. I kept saying 'we have an alarm' and he kept saying "all your neighbours have eircom phone watch". I must have said about four times in different ways 'we have an alarm'. And he just kept repeating like a fucking lunatic salesman on speed 'your neighbours all have it'. In the end I put up my palm and said "Thank you for letting me know all about what my neighbours are doing.

I'm sure he walked off thinking 'bloody uptight bitch' but fgs what a sales technique!!!!!

worraliberty Fri 19-Aug-11 17:36:13

If you're already registered with them, you need to take the name of the company and what they're selling...then go back on the TPS website and report them. It's just a short form to fill in.

Also, when you get an unwanted call...be sure to tell them you're registered and ask them to take your info off their database.

applecrumbleandcream Fri 19-Aug-11 18:22:35

Also, will scream in the face of the next idiot ringing my doorbell trying to talk to me about upvc gutters, soffits, downpipes and fascias!!!

Andrewofgg Fri 19-Aug-11 18:24:10

Tell them to ring off now and if they don't blow a referee's whistle down the phone.

We're registered and don't get too many, but one company (who we've never done business with and is fairly well known) was pestering us a few weeks ago. After about the 5th call I told them I was going to report them to the TPS, I didn't need to as they have not rung again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now