Talk

Advanced search

to be surprised that the NHS diet advisor is overweight

(34 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 19-Aug-11 13:23:18

Firstly I am hardly skinny myself, nor is DH - hence the reason for his visit to the NHS diet advisor - we were just a little surprised that the diet advisor is a good size 18 grin

I am sure her advice is perfectly sound and one could say that at least she has personal experience of the issues surrounding weight and food but shouldn't she have been a little more "successful" in respect of her own weight?!

pinkthechaffinch Fri 19-Aug-11 13:26:35

Bizarre!

I do think diet advisors should practise what they preach .

It's like a policeman committing a crime or a banker taking money -oh wait a minute . .. ...

Fiendishlie Fri 19-Aug-11 13:26:42

YANBU, especially as they are such arrogant, patronising idiots. (IME, obviously, not generally, I hope). I wouldn't go back if it were me

Pudden Fri 19-Aug-11 13:27:32

the dietician here is enormous and waddles in the surgery but then again the nurse who runs the smoking cessation clinic stinks of fags!

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Fri 19-Aug-11 13:27:54

YABU. Her weight may not be food related. My friend put weight on after problems with her uterus, another had problems with PCOS and put weight on there... There's so many reasons that may not be limited to food.

Corvax Fri 19-Aug-11 13:28:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsshears Fri 19-Aug-11 13:29:42

YANBU
however maybe she used to be a size 28grin

I always find it odd when you go to an exercise class and the instructor is overweight too.

belgo Fri 19-Aug-11 13:30:19

This is why I would never become a dietician - I would have to lose weight!

doesthisseemright Fri 19-Aug-11 13:30:44

mrshears I agree, you dont know what weight she was previously

nocake Fri 19-Aug-11 13:31:02

Do as I say, not as I do... how many of us know doctors who smoke?

Sidge Fri 19-Aug-11 13:31:43

YABU.

It's like saying the oncologist must have had cancer to be taken seriously, or the the orthopaedic trauma nurse must have had multiple fractures.

You can give good advice and care without being that advice personified.

babybarrister Fri 19-Aug-11 13:32:46

Ok - her weight may be for other reasons - although the most common cause of being overweight is food ...I have no idea but if some medical reason is not the case?!

doesthisseemright Fri 19-Aug-11 13:34:20

The most common cause of overweight isnt just food. Its a balance between food and activity. She may eat healthy foods but, due to various things, do very little activity.

LineRunner Fri 19-Aug-11 13:34:24

There was another thread about this some weeks back, and a few posters pointed out that an overweight diet advisor would understand that it's not that easy to 'just' lose weight and therefore be more empathetic, which would be a positive.

Also posters sais that that one's appearance doesn't make one's advice less valuable or one's skills disappear.

However, I have recently resented being given shit diet advice when it wasn't asked for by someone who is actually a lot bigger than me, and who possibly eats a less healthy diet than me and takes less excercise than me, in order that she might (presumably) tick a box.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 19-Aug-11 13:35:01

YABU. What Sidge said. Is it really beyond you to understand that a person's job and a person's personal life are not the same thing?

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 19-Aug-11 13:38:22

YANBU

I used to work for WW. I went through a tough time and put on weight. Suddenly I felt like a big fat hypocrite, standing there saying "Oooh, you've gained a pound" whilst thinking inside "But i've gained two!"

So i stopped doing it. It didnt seem right to dole out the good advice whilst not following it myself!

hairfullofsnakes Fri 19-Aug-11 13:40:01

Of course YANBU! In her job she absolutely should practise what she preaches, how can anyone who goes to her for advice take her seriously with losing weight otherwise if she can't do it herself.

By the way I am no skinny Minnie either and am
Trying to lose a fair few pounds!

OhdearNigel Fri 19-Aug-11 13:40:11

A lady that works in my office has gone down from a size 18 to a small 16 in the time she's been here - but what we didn't realise is that she had lost 8 STONE before she came, she must have been a 30/32 before she started dieting.
You have no idea whether the dieting advisor might already have lost an enormous amount of weight. I am overweight and personally I would rather talk to someone that understood where I was coming from rather than someone like mu Mum who has never weighed more than her ideal weight and who has no unhealty food problems.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 19-Aug-11 13:44:29

Oh I see, they give you willpower along with your qualifications then? I'm in the wrong job. I'll trot along and train as a dietician and the weight will fall off as soon as I get my certificates. Fab!

HairyGrotter Fri 19-Aug-11 13:47:08

YABabitU as there are many reasons as to why she might be overweight, what I resented was the medical professionals who are overweight berating me about my weight when they were clearly lardy lard arses themselves. That fecks me off, but if their trying to help then their 'battle' can be helpful I guess.

Undertone Fri 19-Aug-11 13:51:51

To be fair, there's very little that a fat lass doesn't know about dieting.

You couldn't call me svelte, but I'm the slimmest I've ever been. 5 stone down in 18 months and counting. I reckon I could write a bloody book on dieting, even though I still have to wear Spanx.

You can't prescribe willpower, however.

Rowena8482 Fri 19-Aug-11 13:53:10

One of my best friends at uni studied "diety stuff" and nutrition etc, and got a great degree, but refused to even apply for dietitian (sp???) jobs as she was very overweight. She used to say "who on earth would take diet and weightloss advice from me?" and, well, she had a point! (That said, she wasn't just a few pounds overweight, she was VERY overweight and had various health issues related to her weight, not just a bit of a muffin top or something similar.)

KurriKurri Fri 19-Aug-11 14:04:13

dieticians aren't just advising people on how to lose weight, they cover things like how to keep your weight up if you're having chemo, how to get the nutrition you need when appetite is very low, and things of that ilk. They aren't sponsored by Weight Watcher.

If she's handing out sensible advice on healthy eating, doesn't really matter what she looks like.

doesthisseemright Fri 19-Aug-11 14:07:33

I am a Dietitian (and yes thats the correct spelling rowena). I remember once a patient commented on my weight gain. She was a horrible cow.
She had gained weight (not a weight loss clinic either mind) and I was kind, positive and tried to encourage her. She then turned me me with a nasty snarl and said "YOU've put a bit of weight on too, now havent you".
Stupid woman, I was 6 months pregnant.

Rowena8482 Fri 19-Aug-11 14:11:13

OOOO I got the spelling :D yayyy!
I used to have two big badges at one time - one said "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant" and the other said "I'm not pregnant, I'm fat". I did have 3 babies in four years though and tbh it was hard to tell for most of that time! I just seemed to convert fat to bump when I had them, hardly put on any weight, produce a huge baby, gallons of water, great mounds of placenta, and not lose one single pound afterwards :S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now