Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should vegetarian couples provide a meat option at their wedding?

(291 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Fri 19-Aug-11 13:14:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Fri 19-Aug-11 13:15:49

No, why should they? No-one is a carnivore, surely?

No!

stinkypants Fri 19-Aug-11 13:17:44

i would!!! people are respectful of other's views on the whole and i know there are lots of delicious vege meals, but i think people slightly resent having something foisted upon them... unless it is a religious stance in which case i think that'sdifferent... not sure why now i think about it though!! but i used to be a vege and never minded what anyone else ate.

RunsWithScissors Fri 19-Aug-11 13:17:46

Nope!

LadyThumb Fri 19-Aug-11 13:17:54

What do you think vegetarians would say if it was the other way around i.e. only meat options at a wedding? But I dare say it wouldn't hurt or offend any carnivores if they had to eat veggie for one meal.

MamaLazarou Fri 19-Aug-11 13:18:17

Nah - people can survive one meal without meat, surely?

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Fri 19-Aug-11 13:19:05

But the other way round isn't comparable. Everyone eats veggie food.

didyouseewhatshedid Fri 19-Aug-11 13:19:34

I didnt. If people cant survive without meat for one meal, tough titty.

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 19-Aug-11 13:20:40

Up to them really, isn't it?

Carnivores usually provide a veggie option....so it would be a nice gesture if couples catered for those who like meat....

On the other hand...carnivores can eat veg...whereas veggies can't and won't eat meat

As veggies seem to be so for so called ethical reasons they don't have to do anything that would offend their conscience.

The question is irrelevant because there are no hard and fast rules...it really is up to the couple concerned.

steamedtreaclesponge Fri 19-Aug-11 13:21:31

No, of course not. Not unless you were having tigers for guests, or something.

smugmumofboys Fri 19-Aug-11 13:23:01

We had a veggie wedding - I am, DH isn't. It was our fac=ve veggie restaurant, was cheap-ish and delicious.

There were a couple of snarky comments and raised eyebrows but it was one meal, it was free so they could just whistle.

Even my beef farmer auntie rather enjoyed it.

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 19-Aug-11 13:23:34

oops...before someone spots my obvious mistake...I think I meant omnivores...

LineRunner Fri 19-Aug-11 13:25:27

TBH, I would think that a vegetarian wedding meal would be great.

Most Nice Soups are vegetarian. Most Nice Puddings are vegetarian. The main course could easily be a vegetarian pasta or rissotto with asparagus - and easily adapted for children.

Much better than thin bovril in a bowl and rubber and two veg.

Clothilde Fri 19-Aug-11 13:28:10

I don't see why they should. It's not as though people who aren't veggie have to eat nothing but meat. You can't really expect someone to celebrate their special day by doing something they find morally objectionable.

StopRainingPlease Fri 19-Aug-11 13:31:24

No way! DH and I are both veggie and didn't want any dead animals participating in the festivities...

TimeWasting Fri 19-Aug-11 13:31:27

Of course not.

nocake Fri 19-Aug-11 13:33:17

No, why would you? I'm not a vegetarian but I eat, and enjoy, vegetarian food and so will the guests.

Scarletbanner Fri 19-Aug-11 13:37:18

No. Wouldn't you/ they find it weird?hmm

StopRainingPlease Fri 19-Aug-11 13:39:56

My mum found it weird that we were not providing meat dishes - till I pointed out to her that if we were teetotal (as a moral choice) she wouldn't expect us to provide alcohol for our guests.

nickelbabe Fri 19-Aug-11 13:40:20

it's a very good question, actually.

I'm a veggie, but DH is a meat-eater, and most of my family and friends are meat-eaters.
I felt like I didn't have a choice but to offer meat at the wedding.

however, I did have a separate table for the meat. everything that was on the "veggie" table was open to meat-eaters, but there was nothing that veggies couldn't eat.
I had another table for puddings (all of those were veggie)

It would be lovely to have a whole do without the meat, but most people would scoff, i think.

DrNortherner Fri 19-Aug-11 13:40:21

Yes imo they should.

I work in the hotel industry and have worked as an events manage/wedding planner and never have I organised an event where the entire meal for everyone was vegi.

What if you were a tee total couple, would you not have any alcohol?

gillybean2 Fri 19-Aug-11 13:41:23

No. And plenty of times I've been to an event where the vegi option is non existant or fish poor and have made do with bread. SO anyone who doesn't like the vegi option can make do in much the same way they would if they didn't like the meat option at another event.

CalamityKate Fri 19-Aug-11 13:42:08

Yes

nickelbabe Fri 19-Aug-11 13:42:45

(oh! i just realised - i did put "i felt like i didn't have choice" - i actually didn't have a choice - my dad put his foot down, and DH was pretty much not-going-to-marry-me if i didn't grin )
(my dad paid for most of the food)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now