Talk

Advanced search

to think this guy is an arsehole and my friend should notify the Police...

(14 Posts)
NewShooz Fri 19-Aug-11 09:31:10

My Friend joined a dating agency a while ago and has met a guy on there who she 'connected' with. After a lot of emails back and forth, he told her he had to go away on a business trip and could he have her phone number so that he could ring her from the airport as he wanted to say goodbye.

As they had already arranged a date for the next week she emailed her number to him. His reply was that he couldn't believe what had just happened. He was already at the airport and his luggage had been lost and could she get £700 to him until he returned from his trip a week later! She emailed back saying she didn't have that sort of spare money and he would have to find help from someone else.

A couple of hours later, he rang her pleading for money, so she cut the phone call short saying she had another call on hold. So, he emailed again asking for £500 saying he was really desperate. This time she emailed back and said no, and that it had been nice chatting with him but she didn't want him to contact her again.

All quiet until last night. Her phone rings (Number witheld this time) so she answers and it's him! She said straight away that he should leave her alone and cut him off.

He clearly is a con-man, and an arsehole. AIBU to think she should notify the Police, seeing as he is probably trying this with other women too?
Sorry it's long!

festi Fri 19-Aug-11 09:33:09

its a well known scam!!! she should notify the police and the dating site. he doesnt happen to be claiming to be a british marine does he? either way it is a well known scam

Eglu Fri 19-Aug-11 09:34:00

YANBU. She should inform the police and the dating site.

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 09:34:03

I'm not sure they could do anything as he is asking for money, not stealing it.

He does sound dreadful I would be inclined to notify the dating agency pronto.

festi Fri 19-Aug-11 09:36:05

they would most certanly be interested in investigating him for further extorion, so the police would be very greatfull to have information about this person.

festi Fri 19-Aug-11 09:36:19

extortion

biddysmama Fri 19-Aug-11 09:38:08

she should report it some desperate women might fall for it sad

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 09:38:16

Is it extortion at this point? I don't know enough about the law to tell.

DartsRus Fri 19-Aug-11 09:40:11

would it be obtaining money by deception?

festi Fri 19-Aug-11 09:43:10

not at this point possibly, but he may be someone who the police are seeking for other cases of extortion...but it could possibly identity fraud at the least, anyway would not do any harm in contacting the police even if that is not the case.

ImperialBlether Fri 19-Aug-11 10:21:43

It's hard to believe he hasn't come to the police's attention at some point in his life.

If I were her I'd tell the dating site immediately - they will be able to see who he's been in contact with. I would go to the local police station with a photo (though that might not be real) and his phone number - not sure what they could do, legally, though.

TheMonster Fri 19-Aug-11 10:24:21

That's awful. I dread to think how often it has worked. I would ask the police about it just in case it's been reported before.

momobiker Fri 19-Aug-11 10:31:25

yes your friend should go to the police!

What an arsehole!

NewShooz Fri 19-Aug-11 10:58:54

She told the dating agency and they got back to her and said they would investigate it, but they wouldn't be able to tell her the outcome. I'm wandering if that is why he got back in contact because he realised she had reported him.
And yes, as someone has said it's probably not even his real name anyway! But still worth a mention to the Police I think, because she has his email address and phone number that he used previously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now