Talk

Advanced search

My 'cave' - What's yours like?

(24 Posts)
lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 09:03:28

Mine is half way down a cliff overlooking a raging ocean, entrance hidden behind a clinging rowan tree. I'm not sure how I get into it, but I do, easily, and no-one else knows that it's there. Inside there is a huge flat stone which you can roll over the entrance so it is invisible from the outside even if someone did get as far as the ledge.

Inside it's a large, warm, dry, high-ceilinged room of rock. There are a number of smaller caves off it, filled with coal, dried and tinned food, a barrel of beer, batteries, boxes of candles and soap. There is a waterfall from an underground stream which flows through one of the sub-caves and provides clean water and ventilation.

There is a huge old iron stove at one end and in the wall above it, an indent deep enough to provide a curtained sleeping area, accessed by a ladder. (Don't ask me what happens to the coal smoke - I think it is taken away through the cliffs and expelled in a rocky deserted unapproachable place overlooking the sea.) A war could be going on outside and you would be safe and warm.

In the main cave there are shelves of books, rugs, a deep squishy sofa and cadelabras. There is a radio.

I don't need to visit the 'cave' so much nowadays but it was my lifeline for years when I had multiple small children and a challenging relationship; I always placed myself in it before I could get to sleep.

Ok, anyone else have one of these? I hope I'm not the only one. blush

ChocolateTeacup Fri 19-Aug-11 09:27:16

I have one too, in fact its strangely similar except in the middle of a forest half way down a ravine, and no beer

Callisto Fri 19-Aug-11 09:29:57

I have a remote croft in the Highlands overlooking a loch and with mountains all around - does that count?

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 09:32:10

Ooh that sounds lovely Callisto.

blush at the beer. I only have half a pint a night!

SmethwickBelle Fri 19-Aug-11 09:49:20

I don't have a cave although I do have some odd filing away processes. I used to imagine cleaning a grill pan, scraping off the burnt on bits, sweeping the crumbs off, and this used to help me sleep.

I am a slattern in real life, it wasn't the cleaning element that was relaxing, the whole thing was probably some huge poncy analogy grin

I like your cave idea, I may have to dream one up tonight.

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 09:54:56

Hehe! It's a bit more aesthetically pleasing than your grill pan!

RalphGnu Fri 19-Aug-11 10:00:32

I don't have a cave, but I have my childhood bedroom. My mum died when I was quite young and I had a bit of a shit time after that so whenever I felt threatened or scared I would shut my eyes and return to my old bedroom.
Still do now, it has my bookcase, doll's cot, posters. My favourite teddy is there (which got thrown away by a horrible person) and if I'm feeling sad I can smell and feel his lovely rubbed-away fur.

SmethwickBelle Fri 19-Aug-11 10:02:06

It is quite revealing actually, years ago, before children, to nod off I'd plan my (fantasy) Booker prize acceptance speech and outfit. Now it's all about a grill pan.

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 10:07:17

I remember my then-five-year-old DS2 shyly telling me that he liked to imagine he was rescuing people from fires when he couldn't sleep.

We can all be a hero in our dreams.

janelikesjam Fri 19-Aug-11 10:16:53

Callisto's place sounds like mine. Now I come to think of it, I even have a picture of it on my wall, just realised.

One day smile

[cries]

OTheHugeManatee Fri 19-Aug-11 10:17:12

I have an imaginary garden, with rose beds and an orchard and a kitchen garden.

When I have a lot to worry about, I imagine myself weeding the raised beds. It helps somehow grin

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 10:21:26

Some of these sound like self sufficiency and peace, some about comfort. The grillpan one could be about competency maybe?

naughtaless Fri 19-Aug-11 10:27:18

Oh thank god, I thought it was only me that did this grin

CaptainNancy Fri 19-Aug-11 16:54:23

Mine's actually a spaceship, quite similar to the millenium falcon with different rooms (flies better though <<cough>>)
On occasion it is a boat, but usually one that is becalmed, and I just have to wait for a wind (what a shame).

I haven;t been in either much since having children though... fall asleep as soon as my head's on the pillow!

KatieScarlett2833 Fri 19-Aug-11 16:58:04

Mine is real, everyone just thinks it's my bedroom....

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 17:06:11

I have a deserted shack on a tiny Hebridean Island! I thought I was the only one! grin It's surrounded by crashing waves and it's pretty bleak. Only me and the wildlife.

Mines very basic...just a bed, open fireplace a table and a chair....I have some nice pictures on the walls and a dresser with crockery and a larder.

I have a dog and a cat. The supply boat comems once a month and I spend my days beachcombing, writing and painting.

MumblingRagDoll Fri 19-Aug-11 17:06:59

We must be closet hermits lifechanger ! I bet you like your own company too don't you?

AllGoodNamesGone Fri 19-Aug-11 17:13:13

I am so glad I am not the only one!!

I have a log cabin half way up a steep mountain covered with snow and a storm is always raging outside but I am safe and warm in my cabin which is strangely very well insulated! I have a huge cosy bed covered with quilts and cushions, sqaushy sofas, window seats to snuggle and read in while the snow blows around outside. There is a massive log fire which never needs tending to and lovely food just appears in the kitchen area when I want it!

My children sometimes join me there but they are always fast asleep while I wander around in peace grin

janelikesjam Fri 19-Aug-11 17:33:02

I like my own company, Mumblingrag, so you could be right. I often fantasise about getting away from civilisation to somewhere bleak and wild. I really wonder if I will some day...

Chummybud1 Fri 19-Aug-11 18:03:33

I would have a wee house, on a private enclosed beach, where I could sit out and bask in the sun, in only a towel, with only noise being the waves. Oh and plenty of wine

lifechanger Fri 19-Aug-11 20:54:09

It's that sense that no-one can get to you, and basic needs are met.

I do indeed like my own company but would, in reality, be very lonely after a while in my cave if it materialised...

MixedClassBaby Fri 19-Aug-11 21:19:34

Mine's a walled garden which can only be reached by descending a set of damp stone steps. The image was conjured the first time I was hypnotised. I got there every time I'm in the dentist's chair. wink.

I'm the opposite. I actually worry that I would end up somewhere like your cave. That Tom Hanks film The Castaway both grips and appalls me. And I love my own company, and am on my own a lot of the time.

MixedClassBaby Fri 19-Aug-11 21:19:59

*go there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now