Talk

Advanced search

To think the shopping channels are full of junk?

(25 Posts)
Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 08:52:33

Just mental over a watching the shopping channels, they are going mad over a whizzy mop thing, the jewellry is rubbish, though I did once buy a steam cleaner which I was pleased with.

Have you used the shopping channels?

kittensliveupstairs Fri 19-Aug-11 08:54:10

DD and I have just moved to England. She discovered the shopping channels and gets very excited about random things.
The same happened when we lived in Belgium and Switzerland. I know she hates shopping so the idea that you can buy stuff and not have to leave the house appeals to her.

firstforthought Fri 19-Aug-11 08:57:04

I have never bought anything but can't help but watch in awe at the products if I stumble across the shopping channels. But my rational self says "it probably doesn't do what it says on the box". That steam cleaner/mop thing looks great! lol Also impressed by the minerals make-up...

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 19-Aug-11 08:58:30

Never used them....but used to find QVC quite entertaining.

Who would buy diamonique?

toddlerama Fri 19-Aug-11 09:01:54

Love the steam cleaner, but my best purchase has been the JML Whizz Mop. I bloody love it! Don't ever buy a water sweep. The pressure built up to the point that it exploded my hose....

Also the Miche bag was a humiliating dud. I think that's all i've been suckered into.

They make great middle-of-the-night viewing if you're up feeding a baby.

I am always utterly convinced that everything they say about a product is totally true grin

I sit there thinking - wow, wow, wooooowww. I sooo badly need a pressure cooker that doubles up as an iron that doubles up as a thigh-firming machine. Or that the purchase of a whizz mop may indeed change my life. [sucker emotion]

I am yet to actually buy anything though grin

Silverstar2 Fri 19-Aug-11 09:03:43

I often buy Kipling handbags from QVC as they are cheaper that the shops. I have also bought Clarks shoes and a Tiana B dress much cheaper too.

Some things are rubbish, some not. Some are REALLY bad....!

Oh my God - toddlerama I've just seen that you've got a whizz mop. And it has indeed changed your life.

envy

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 19-Aug-11 09:04:08

I have however seen beauty products on QVC that I've then gone on to buy in the shops....like Decleor

issey6cats Fri 19-Aug-11 10:25:54

agree that most of the stuff on shopping channels is gimmicky or rubbish but i have got two rings i bought off the jewellery channell, one is a three stone peridot ring that i love as its my birthstone, paid £35 for it and wouldnt be able to get this in the shops for anywhere near what i paid, and the other one is a tanzanite and diamond one which was £75 no way could you get this in the shops under about £200 so both bargains, a shame ive run out of fingers for rings as the jewellery channell does some georgous stuff

LordOfTheFlies Fri 19-Aug-11 19:36:50

OMG Mitmoo wash your mouth out with a L'Occitane Shea Butter Soap bar shock.

I flippin love QVC.
I love watching the beauty hours.I wouldn't go into a dept store and approach (or more likely be pounced on by) the beauty counter staff.
Also I know what I buy is fresh in the warehouse,not been sitting under shop lights and god knows who might have opened it.

Diamonique is lovely.I usually buy silver but have some gold. I've sent maybe 2 pieces back because they didn't suit me.

Alot of their Christmas produce is from USA (they seem to do decorations really well)
I wouldn't have tried Aveda, L'Occitane, Liz Earle, Philosophy ,Yankee Candles, Cooks Essentials,Trespass, Northern Nights bedding or Phillip Kingsley without QVC.

I don't want to walk down the street and see the same coat, bag or sweater being worn by someone else. But I CBA haven't got the time to go to London very often.

Yes there are some turkeys but you can send things back. I don't just buy everything I see.
(Though I have banned my mother from QVC, she likes to buy stuff just to send it back. What's the point of that?)

Now I'm going to fold up my waterproof, self inflating ,luminous soap box and slide it back into the cupboard under the stairs.

SarahStratton Fri 19-Aug-11 19:37:53

Running out of conflicts? hmm

Katisha Fri 19-Aug-11 19:40:38

I am mesmerised by the Paint Plus Pro...

LordOfTheFlies Fri 19-Aug-11 19:43:02

Can I just say in my defence that I only watch/buy from QVC.
I have scanned through the others but they make my eyes and ears bleed.

Paint Plus Pro! Paint Plus Pro!

I have demanded one of these from DP for Christmas, despite the fact I loathe decorating (and he does it all anyway)...

I have also demanded a Bricky

Because you never know wink

Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:22:26

I'm with those who love paint plus pro but I get them from markets, probably seconds but you can't tell. They are the ones with the furry bits you dip the paint into aren't they? Brilliant.

Katisha Fri 19-Aug-11 20:24:42

I haven't actually got a paint plus pro but I'm sure I NEED one...

(Despite the reviews on Amazon being uniformly dreadful...)

Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:28:38

*SarahStratton Fri 19-Aug-11 19:37:53
Running out of conflicts?*

Ooh look Sarah is trying to SS and fell flat on her face. Oh dear what a shame never mind.

Next....................

Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:29:46

Is the Paint Plus Pro the one with the furry edges or the one where you put the paint in the middle of a dispenser thingy. The furry edge one is brilliant ( I get those from markets) the one in the dispenser thingy is crap.

Andrewofgg Fri 19-Aug-11 20:33:29

The Shopping Channel is full of junk, this is the twenty-first century, Cameron is the Prime Minister, any more news for any more?

SarahStratton Fri 19-Aug-11 20:33:55

Bit PA there Mitmoo. Come on, you can do better than that.

Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:37:12

Sarah I could if you were worth it. grin SS aren't worth the effort.

Do you have anything relevant to contibute that intelligent posters might be remotely interested in? Or are you happy to stick to SStirring?

SarahStratton Fri 19-Aug-11 20:43:26

Not really. You're talking about shopping channels. Hardly brain food.

Mitmoo Fri 19-Aug-11 20:49:32

So you have nothing to contribute other than SStirring. See you then.

rolls eyes.

MorelliOrRanger Fri 19-Aug-11 22:05:30

It's all crap so YANBU smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now