Talk

Advanced search

Do ask if you have floride inthe water where u live?

(20 Posts)
Wossisface Thu 18-Aug-11 22:37:41

The council are on the brink of changing our water so that it contains floride in it.

Some of the people are very angry about this. Lots of unsuccessful capaigns etc.

I read on one these campaigns that if u have a baby you will have to buy water for bottles etc, and if you boil it. It makes the floride content worse (can't really figure that in my head).

Anyhoo I thought I'd ask here, as we are not the first area to have floride in the water and if I'm not mistaken some areas have had it for years. I have never heard of adverse incidents
with babies due to tap water being boiled?! The horror stories going around you'd think they were putting arsenic inthe water!!!

Maybe I'm ignorant here and it really is as bad as people are saying??

So do you have floride in the water and do you have to take all these precautions people are saying we re going to??

LineRunner Thu 18-Aug-11 22:51:36

It's nothing to do with your council.

The decision lies with the Strategic Health Authority.

HTH

littlepiglet Thu 18-Aug-11 22:54:10

Blimey! Where are you? I live in Bucks, and the water here is not fluoridated, and I'm hoping it's not about to be.

The reason that boiling would be bad is because it concentrates minerals more - due to evaporation, which is why you should never repeatedly boil water used for bottles (in fact most formula packets do say to use freshly boiled water that hasn't been repeatedly boiled).

I'm not keen on fluoridation. It is sold as being a great way of protecting our children's teeth, and to try to stop the worsening decay amongst young children. This is bullshit in my mind. Proper brushing twice a day - with the age appropriate fluoride toothpaste, NOT allowing babies & toddlers to drink juice from a bottle (and to only drink one diluted juice drink a day - and to stick with water), to give savoury snacks instead of sweets, to NEVER (or at least very, very rarely) allow fizzy drinks (even unsweetened), to paint teeth with fluoride paste - imo these are far preferable to adding fluoride to water.

In truth, fluoride is a by-product of industry & would cost companies lots of money to get rid of it... far better to 'sell' it to water companies, on the proviso of helping fight tooth decay...

Fluoride is actually a poison in large amounts, and I do oppose foricbly medicating the entire population. Too much fluoride will also make permanent teeth mottled, if given to young children. Of course, the water companies state that the amount of fluoride is so small, that it will have no health impacts - but I find that hard to believe.

What's more in fluoridated areas you're still supposed to use a fluoride toothpaste - why? If the amount in the water is too little, why have it there at all?

celadon Thu 18-Aug-11 22:58:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Thu 18-Aug-11 23:00:09

In fact having just looked at an anti-fluoridation website, you can see that councils such as Southampton don't want it, the local people voted against it in a consultation, but the Strategic Health Authority decided they were going to do it anyway. And the government lets this process happen.

celadon Thu 18-Aug-11 23:00:16

HipHopOpotomus Thu 18-Aug-11 23:01:10

I don't think so, but I grew up in a fluoridated water country (nz) and I have strong teeth. Certainly my generations teeth are stronger than my parents generation. Not sure if we are, as a population, suffering any side effects.

I can't for the life of me recall people using bottled water for babies bottles, and this was before a bottled water 'culture' grew. But then most people with babies I knew BF. I'm sure friends who FF just use tap water.

Wossisface Thu 18-Aug-11 23:03:26

Interesting post thanks, my mum is crazy against it. I live in Southampton and we have one of the worst tooth decay in the country amongst children.

I thought it was Hampshire county council who improved it thanks for correcting me there.

Well it does scare me to think they can add stuff to our water without everyone agreeing to it. But then someone at work said Birmingham have had it for years.

I guess I'm lucky that my baby is nearly one and can have cows milk soon in her bottles. They don't seem to be supplying any facts to households about it so the scare mongering has gone wild. But maybe deservedly so....

Thanks again

Wossisface Thu 18-Aug-11 23:06:11

Meant approved not improved.

I really am ignorant to this aren't I I thought everyone was just making a fuss but so this is opening my eyes

sniffy Thu 18-Aug-11 23:17:37

everything is a poison in large amounts. even water

HipHopOpotomus Thu 18-Aug-11 23:20:24

Well you might like to google what cows milk contains if you are worried about additives etc. It's riddled with drugs, hormones, pus etc. At very least make sure it's organic.

MrsReasonable Thu 18-Aug-11 23:20:27

The 'fluoride in the water' conspiracies always remind me of that crazy general in Dr. Strangelove, going on about his 'fluids'.

celadon Thu 18-Aug-11 23:30:46

LineRunner Thu 18-Aug-11 23:34:32

Wossiface, there is a pressure group, I think it's Hampshire Against Fluoridation. It'll show up if you Google that. They have all the latest info on court challenges, as well as an email address, newsletters and other updates.

It has been flouridated in Ireland for quite some time now, we are lucky in that we have a well water source and do not have to use it. I can't do links as I'm on my phone, but if you can google Ryan v. Attorney General 1965. I know it's an Irish case, relating to the Irish constitution and probably not very relevant but it makes for informative and interesting reading.

MrsReasonable Thu 18-Aug-11 23:36:30

I know they put it in - it has proven health benefits. The conspiracy theorists claim it's a way of keeping the population placated.

Wossisface Thu 18-Aug-11 23:36:54

Hiphop - what should I give her then. I bf until she was 8 months then I went back to work and she kinda weaned herself off she took well to aptamil. What should I give her formula with floride water or organic cows milk??? Plus I cook with cows milk should I jot be doing this then?

Wossisface Thu 18-Aug-11 23:39:03

Thanks for the Informative posts I will look out for pressure groups would be great if you can link it. And will look up the Irish case too thanks xxx

littlepiglet Thu 18-Aug-11 23:43:39

MrsReasonable - no it's the diazepam they put in that does that - and look what happens when they forget - there was actual rioting on the streets!

Wossiface HipHop is right - they atually give cows hormones, to increase their milk yield, and antibiotics to prevent infections (all of which end up in us)! Organic milk is (supposedly) free from these. I'd personally give water - that is only boiled once, then give her organic milk from the age of one (shouldn't really be given before then).

celadon Thu 18-Aug-11 23:53:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now