Talk

Advanced search

to ask for photo to be deleted??

(11 Posts)
working2gally Thu 18-Aug-11 21:10:57

Sometimes when out I notice people taking photos that my dc ends up in. e.g. if someone is photographing a group of playing children.
Last week at soft play my dc was examining a toy near to another child (her dc), a mother took out her phone and took a picture of my dc (on his own) then when he was moving away, said to him "I caught that".
I was a bit annoyed really especially nowadays that there is so much about having to give permission for photos to be taken/used and photo bans in various places.
Has anyone else come across this - should I have asked for photo to be deleted (I'd never met the mother before) or would that be OTT?

milkshakejake Thu 18-Aug-11 21:12:01

I would be more likely to ask her to send me a copy if it was a good photo. Although if I were her I would've shown you the photo and asked if you minded.

Tee2072 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:14:56

Totally OTT. What's the harm?

Firawla Thu 18-Aug-11 21:17:02

if it was him on his own bit weird of her to take the pic if she does not know you? so yanbu to find that a bit off. if it was her dc and yours in the background or just in the shot accidently then i would consider that normal

yellowsubmarine41 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:18:11

The general concensus will be that you're being OTT but I think it's very odd to take a picture of a stranger's child and if this happened to me it would play on my mind because I probably wouldn't have been assertive enough at the time to ask the person to delete it.

I find all this endless taking photos of kids irritating - seems an excuse not to actually interact with them, I often think.

ginmakesitallok Thu 18-Aug-11 21:18:41

What do you honestly think she is going to do with the photo???? Totally OTT

festi Thu 18-Aug-11 21:19:01

I dont think you are being OTT at all, I would find it very strange and unnerving if a complete stranger took a lone picture of my dd. not sure what I would do but would be a bit miffed thats for sure. I find it very strange in a way that anyone would do that. Im sure there is no harm aswell but I wouldnt accept a total stranger randomly potographing me and so not sure DCs should be any different.

AngelDelightIsFab Thu 18-Aug-11 21:23:36

If the situation is suss, then for sure ask her to delete it. With all the perv's out there you never know what people's intention's are. Not OTT IMO.

pigletmania Thu 18-Aug-11 21:29:19

It is a bit weird for her to take a pic of your dc on his own, if she was photographing her dc and your dc happened to be in the photo its no biggie

KAZAMM Thu 18-Aug-11 21:29:47

It's just a bit strange that she would take a photo of your DS if she didn't know you. What possible interest could it have been to her? Fair enough if he was just in the background but that doesn't seem to be the case here. YANBU

working2gally Thu 18-Aug-11 21:37:55

It was definitely him on his own -her dc was facing the wrong way, and she confirmed that she'd "caught that" after she'd done it anyway.
At the time thought it a bit off but didn't say anything. I'd never spoken to the mother (didn't know her at all).
If there's a next time I probably will say something, it's a bit like strangers touching my dc (e.g. on the cheek etc) I just don't like it but difficult to find a way to stop it in a straightforward way without risk of offending people or seeming a bit over protective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now