Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to still be upset 5 months on?

(20 Posts)
WynkenBlynken Thu 18-Aug-11 20:42:54

I was due to go back to work after maternity leave in March. Previously worked full time for the company for 4 years where I worked hard and worked my way up and ended on a decent salary.

Anyway, all through pregnancy was told 'off the record' I could come back and do what hours I wanted, they wanted to keep me etc etc. Even one of the directors used to say this to me!

In December I had my formal meeting where I requested to work three full days, went in feeling positive, came out close to tears! Was then called by line manager to say they had nothing for me and the only position they will offer me is full time. The company apparently don't have any part time positions (all workers were full time). They knew I did not want to go back full time, I said this from the start.

I was gutted, I liked my job but decided to put my 2 DC first and I handed my notice in, thinking I had three months to find another part time job.

I applied for anything with the hours to suit, had a few interviews, didn't hear back from a few, but no luck. I was told by one place I was over qualified for the role!!

Then in March my old work sent me a job description for part time receptionist and they wanted me to apply for it. Bloody cheek! I started on reception there 4 years ago and after two months they offered me another role because they wanted me 'in the business'! Needless to say it went straight in the bin!

Sorry this is long, nearly there...

So here I am, five months later. On benefits, struggling to pay bills, pay for food etc. Upset I can't give my DC what they used to have, pissed off cause I can't seem to get a job (I've temporarily given up trying).

AIBU in still being upset with my old work for not fulfilling my flexible working request?

Tell me to get a grip if I need to. And yes I prob should have taken receptionist role, but I was too proud to go back with my tail between my legs!

YABabitU. You don't know what was going on behind the scenes that led them to refuse your request. This happened to a ex colleague of mine. All through pg she thought pt was in the bag, comes to it and they say no. Our budget had been cut and they needed to lose someone....... So she was edged out because they knew she didn't want ft.

Perhaps they felt bad and were trying to make amends by suggesting the receptionist role? I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to go backwards though.

an* ex colleague. Very first post on mn and there's a typo in it <embarrassed>

redexpat Thu 18-Aug-11 21:07:19

I understand why you're upset, but while you have the right to request flexible hours your employer is under no obligation to accept. Perhaps ask the people who told you off the record if they know of any available positions? They obviously still want you which is why they sent you the receptionist post. Try not to take it personally. Keep in contact with them. Chin up.

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 21:07:24

YANBU they are acting illegally. Phone the ACAS helpline and ask them for advice. You will find it if you google.

didyouseewhatshedid Thu 18-Aug-11 21:08:16

They offered you a full time role as that is all they had at that time. You turned it down. They are a business, they will do what they need to do to remain in business. Move on.

WynkenBlynken Thu 18-Aug-11 21:09:12

Unfortunately it wasn't anything to do with budget. My line manager happens to be my sisters best friend (she was not there when I started). Apparently it was because there were 15 other ladies off on maternity leave and because I was the first one back asking for flexible working they didn't think it would be fair on the other ladies who were willing to come back full time! This is only hearsay though and I don't know how reliable the source is!

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 21:12:08

Again - and I do know about this!! - they have been acting illegally. PLEASE phone ACAS, explain and take their advice.

WynkenBlynken Thu 18-Aug-11 21:12:47

Thanks Rhonda, I will look into that. Never heard of them before.

I suspect I am feeling a bit sorry for myself, but I can't help pinning the blame on them for my dire financial situation!

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 21:15:46

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Good luck. I get annoyed when I hear about things like this.

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 21:16:21

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Sorry I dont usually post links.

WynkenBlynken Thu 18-Aug-11 21:21:28

Thanks for the link. A bit weary about my sisters best friend still working there, I don't want to upset our personal relationship. No harm in calling them though to see what they say. Also wondering if there is a time limit as it was December when I found out they didn't have a part time role.

WidowWadman Thu 18-Aug-11 21:44:34

Rhonda - but have they really been acting illegally? After all they've offered a part time role to her as soon as it came up. It's not their fault that she has rejected it out of hurt pride.

If they had created the role soon after her departure and not offered to her, that would be an entirely different matter, but I can't see how she would have a case if she had indeed been offered the part time role.

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 21:46:46

1 - she wasnt offered, she was asked to apply.

2 - the role was not at the level and wage which she had been on prior to her pregnancy.

WynkenBlynken Thu 18-Aug-11 21:56:57

Sorry I should of said as well I was given false hope of a job share (after I was informed they didnt have a part time role for me). Turned out the other lady decided not to go back and nothing else was said of it! This was an unofficial conversation with sisters friend/line manager over a few wines!

Will def give them a call next week, worst they can do is tell me to bugger off!!

WidowWadman Thu 18-Aug-11 23:22:36

rhondajean - so basically, there was no part time role at her previous level and wage - how was it illegal then to create a different role, at a different level and different wage?

I can understand it's annoying to have a request for part time work refused, but it's not illegal.

StealthPolarBear Thu 18-Aug-11 23:32:30

yes I agree, don't see how this is illegal.
Sorry you are upset OP - not saying YABU!

FabbyChic Thu 18-Aug-11 23:40:13

Surely a position with less stress would have been better for you as opposed to trying to do five days work in three days? I think you cut your nose off to spite your face to be honest.

sayithowitis Thu 18-Aug-11 23:52:18

I don't see how the company has acted illegally. Your legal entitlement was to return to the same job with the same T&Cs as before. here.

You are entitled to request flexible(part time) working hours, but the employer only has to give it serious consideration, they are not obliged t grant it. There is also a procedure to follow if you wish to request flexible working here. Did you follow the procedure?

In fact, it seems they have gone out of their way to try to find something for you by sending you the application for the receptionist post. Given that by the time that arose you had already left their employ, they really had no obligation to do that at all, yet they did.

I agree that you appear to have cut off your nose to spite your face. Sorry.

CustardCake Thu 18-Aug-11 23:56:24

I think YABabitU too
It is not illegal for the company to refuse part time working hours. They are only obliged to consider your request - that is all. If they can't make it work then they are entitled to refuse.

I think you would have been better off in the part time role they offered you rather than jobless and looking for other part time roles especially in the current job market. Part time work is so sought after that companies often have their pick of candidates. Its probably not right but many women return to "lesser" jobs than the ones they left when they decide they can only commit to part time hours. Rightly or wrongly many companies do not offer or say they cannot offer the option to keep both job level and flexible hours all in one package.

YANBU to be fed up though especially as they strung you along over it. Far better that they had either said nothing or told you the truth from the start so at least you could have planned something else and not been totally reliant on returning part time to the same job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now