Talk

Advanced search

to be irritated...

(6 Posts)
startwig1982 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:09:27

By MIL. I suspect that I am BU, but am tired from having DS (10 wo) and would appreciate advice on how not to be rude to MIL. She hasn't really done anything hugely wrong, but her constant cooing over DS when we see her is driving me slightly potty, especially when I'm bf and she's basically cooing at my boobs....
She's also said a couple of times to DH how she was disappointed that she didn't get to hold DS when we were at her house, but she didn't ask!! TBH I am still at the stage where I like cuddling him when I've finished feeding him and then he goes to sleep. I wouldn't mind her holding him but she needs to ask me, or I sort of forget that other people are around..... blush
We're meant to be going somewhere tomorrow in our car and I know that if she sits in the back with him, he'll get only a small amount of sleep as she'll be cooing and trying to hold his hand etc...
I really don't want to be rude, cos I really like her, but I am losing the plot very slightly!!! (Sorry for rant)

TheFlyingOnion Thu 18-Aug-11 18:11:59

YABU but tbf you sound pretty sleep deprived and have possibly lost some perspective.

You need to give your poor MIL a break, she sounds as if she is trying her best..... she is as much in love with DS as you are, and presumably doesn't get to spend the same amount of quality time with him. Let her get it out of her system.

Choufleur Thu 18-Aug-11 18:28:49

Could you ask her to take him for a walk for half an hour after he's had a feed. Make her feel useful, get to spend time with her DGS and you get half an hour to put your feet up.

YABU. Maybe she doesn't like to ask to hold him/doesn't want to overstep the mark.

I really dread DS growing up and every little thing I do or say being slagged off by his wife /partner.

startwig1982 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:32:29

I don't mean to be unreasonable, just every little thing is making me want to tear my hair out!! She is very lovely and I do appreciate her but I think the real issue is probably that I'm not ready to share DS with others yet, as he's so cute!!! smile

Verahaspurpletwuntypants Thu 18-Aug-11 18:36:03

I think you're lucky. My MiL would just taken dd1 off me when I was feeding.

pengymum Thu 18-Aug-11 18:39:07

if the cooing during the trip is bugging you then just sit in the back with him yourself, of course won't work if you have to drive! I know several mums do this as babies get can tetchy in car seat and they can soothe them. Baby crying in car is very stressful on Mums and best avoided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now