Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to start getting angry at comments by dhs family about this pregnancy

(56 Posts)
Poweredbypepsi Thu 18-Aug-11 18:04:35

i am pregnant with dc 5. There is no reason for anyone to be anything but overjoyed with this news. We love our children we look after them, we have a good relationship we work and have enough money etc to support another baby (well we woukd like more but we survive). We told dhs families recently after our 12 week scan. MIL told dh he should "go and have the snip or I'll come here and do it for you" then said they though he had mumps as a child (turns out he didn't) but it was a shame he didn't as then he wouldnt have so many children ( I assume mumps makes you infertile from that comment but I have no idea if that's true).
No one has congratulated us people are rude about it and I am at the point of just screaming op "oh will you fuck offffffffff".next time someone suggests "getting the bricks out" or the like.

I amm seriously considering asking dh to tell them that if they don't start either not commenting at all or saying something nice if they cam bring themselves to do so then they are not welcome in our house.

Aibu.

JanMorrow Thu 18-Aug-11 18:06:07

Congrats on your pregnancy, ignore the haters! Get your husband to have a quiet word yes!

GlitterySkulls Thu 18-Aug-11 18:06:46

yanbu, tell them if they can't be happy for you, then fuck off with their negativity.

Unlurked Thu 18-Aug-11 18:09:12

Yanbu but what does 'getting the bricks out' mean??

TheFlyingOnion Thu 18-Aug-11 18:09:58

They sound awful

You need to say something or they will think its acceptable, and continue...

fedupofnamechanging Thu 18-Aug-11 18:10:53

We had something similar when we announced we were having dc4. For some reason, some people can't get their heads around the idea that you might want more than 2 kids.

Tell them that the socially acceptable response to a pg announcement is 'congratulations'. If they can't manage that, then stfu.

Congratulations btw. Hope you have a lovely, easy pg and birth!

mammyemcbe Thu 18-Aug-11 18:13:07

Yadnbu , I have 5dcs and I hate the way everyone and their uncle feels they have the right to comment angry. As long as you and dh are happy then sod the rest grin well that's my coping technique

PhilipJFry Thu 18-Aug-11 18:14:18

You are being completely reasonable and I think it's a damn shame that after a certain number of children they could arbitrarily decide that that was enough. It's none of their business.

Some people's mouths completely outrun their brains.

deemented Thu 18-Aug-11 18:15:41

Oh love - i totally get where you're coming from.

We've just announced that i'm pregnant with a very much wanted DC5, and have hostile responses. And the comment about manshape having the snip. And the housebricks.

Manshapes mother even asked if we didn't have a TV, i said of course we did, we just preferred having rampant sex... wink

Congratulations - and chin up!

mugglelady Thu 18-Aug-11 18:16:42

Yanbu. Enjoy this special time and don't let them ruin it.

Eglu Thu 18-Aug-11 18:17:20

YANBU. If they can't be positive why can't they just say nothing.

keepingupwiththejoneses Thu 18-Aug-11 18:24:00

Congratulations! I had this when pg with ds3, from my mum, she did come round after a few weeks but I totally understand how horrible it feels.
Ignore them, and tell DH to have a word, the most important thing is that you and your dh are happy.

MoominsAreScary Thu 18-Aug-11 18:31:06

Congratulations ! I'm pg with dc4 but noone knows yet! the registra did ask me if I'd like to be sterilised during my csection!

Poweredbypepsi Thu 18-Aug-11 18:32:30

Unlurked - I have no idea it not something I have heard from other people but it seems to be the same as MIL saying "she will be round her with her clippers".

MoominsAreScary Thu 18-Aug-11 18:34:07

Registrar even!

fedupofnamechanging Thu 18-Aug-11 18:34:13

The bricks thing means that they will give your dh a vasectomy with 2 bricks bashed against his nuts. Charming eh?

MoominsAreScary Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:06

Oh dh balls in-between to bricks, bang em together job done!

Unlurked Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:24

Hmm <mind boggles>

I'll ask my mil at the weekend. She knows ALL the sayings grin.

Cattleprod Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:31

Congratulations!

I'm confused about the housebricks too - I thought the standard (lighthearted) comment was 'Haven't you heard of Horlicks?'. Not nice to have your family being so negative.

JeelyPiece Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:34

YANBU, how rude.

Bricks refers to rather crude method of castrating animals... bringing two bricks together onto the baws, no baby animals.

LineRunner Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:34

'Getting the bricks out' - to smash his knackers.

Delightful phrase.

Unlurked Thu 18-Aug-11 18:36:25

Argh! I actually wouldn't have guessed that. Quite glad I dont have to ask mil!

Chulita Thu 18-Aug-11 18:39:14

My sister's got 4 and she waited 5 months before she told anyone about her last pgcy cos some of her DH's family and 'friends' are really negative about it. Just goes to show some people just can't be happy for other's news. It's so sad because having a baby is a really special thing to the people who are having it!

YANBU, they sound horrible.

Poweredbypepsi Thu 18-Aug-11 18:39:37

Well we are thrilled and my sister is thrilled. My dad is his usual no committal self but even he has said congratulations and not said anything negative at all.
Bugger them I don't care.

Shutupanddrive Thu 18-Aug-11 18:40:33

YANBU and congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now