Talk

Advanced search

not really an AIBU more help needed quickly, sorry!

(13 Posts)
twinmummy24 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:00:12

My 4 year old DD's rabbit has just died and she wants to see him, not sure what to do, don't want to frighten her but will it upset her more to imagine what he looks like etc?! sorry silly question i know but advice really appreciated.
TIA

HippyHippopotamus Thu 18-Aug-11 18:01:13

is rabbit maimed at all? or does he just look like he's sleeping?

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Thu 18-Aug-11 18:02:48

Sleeping and recent, I would. But be prepared for her to pick him up, try to get him to wake up and maybe not want to give him back sad

NorksAreMessy Thu 18-Aug-11 18:04:27

Yes, let her see him, you are in for an evening of explaining anyway, so why add an extra layer of mystery.
Good luck

twinmummy24 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:10:25

thank you all, no not maimed just very still, she is asking to see him so here we go.

Tommy Thu 18-Aug-11 18:13:01

I'm sure it will be fine.

My DSs (9, 7 and 4) wanted to see their Grandpa after he died. They were all quite insistent so I took them off to the undertakers. They were all very interested and matter of fact about it and doesn't seem to have upset them since

Mumwithadragontattoo Thu 18-Aug-11 18:15:05

I'm sorry about DS's rabbit. I hope she's ok.

twinmummy24 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:53:51

the girls were ok, my DH had wrapped ernie in a towel and was holding him so they got to touch him and tell him how much they loved him and that he was a good rabbit! nearly broke my heart sad

wasn't sure how to explain it so went with the rabbit angel came down and took ernies soul to rabbit heaven where he will be having lots of fun in a big field with other rabbits, we said that the soul is what makes ernie ernie and that although you can still see his bunny body his bunny soul had gone.

they are just going to bed now and have said their night nights to him out the window, think we could be in for a tricky night though.

NoTeaForMe Thu 18-Aug-11 19:21:18

How old was the rabbit? How did he die? Just wondering as you'll get questions as to why he died I would have thought.

rhondajean Thu 18-Aug-11 19:25:02

Think you did a lovely thing. One of my earliest memories is seeing my grandfather in his coffin when I was about 3 and its left me with no fear of death because I remember him looking so peaceful and comfortable. Some people probably though it was a terrible idea but I think it was really good for me.

Poor Ernie though, and poor girls, they will still miss him.

viewfromawindow Thu 18-Aug-11 19:34:23

When our rabbit, Daisy, died a few months ago my DD (10), wrote her a letter saying why she loved her and reminding her of all the lovely things they used to do together. She did it herself with no suggestions from me and drew a picture to go with it. We are both a bit soft when it comes to our pets but she had written it so beautifully it made me cry! The letter and picture went in the box when we gave the rabbit to the vets to have her cremated.
With very small children I do think burying them is best, as they can see what's involved, but my DD and I have agreed that cremation is e way forward as we have quite a few pets and I need to know I can put bedding plants in without having to constantly remember who is buried where! It cost about £30 for Daisy.
Hope your DD feels happier tomorrow. In my experience they dont tend to dwell on lost pets after the inital shock but are usually more keen on talking about what pet theyvare getting next!

viewfromawindow Thu 18-Aug-11 19:35:37

Ernie....Great name by the way!

twinmummy24 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:32:41

his brother is called Bert grin

we have got to take him to the vets to be cremated as he had something called cuniculi (sp?) which is passed in bolidy fluids, think it is a parasite so bert is off the the vets tomo as well so he can be treated just in case,

we told the girls the vet is going to bury him so that his body will go back into the ground and help things grow, DD1 wants to know if he will grow bananna trees! thought the idea of burying might be easier for them to understand than cremating at 4 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now