Talk

Advanced search

Marks and Bastard Spencer have RUINED ds2's birthday

(426 Posts)
Greensleeves Thu 18-Aug-11 15:24:21

ds2's birthday tomorrow, he's 7

it will be the first birthday dh has ever been away, so I have busted a gut to make it special for him

I ordered something off M&S online which he really, really wants and opted for the extra charge to have it delivered today, in time to be wrapped etc

They said the payment wouldn't go through, there was a problem with the card etc, I put it through over and over again

eventually dh phoned them, from Brazil, and gave all the details over the phone and double-checked with the woman that it had gone through and would still be delivered today, 18th August

so I rang up customer services today to ask if they had an approximate time as I have to take ds1 out to a party later

they said it hadn't gone through and was marked as not paid for

eventually after more schenanigans it turned out that it was because our visa debit card is a co-op bank card - they accept visa debit cards but not visa electron (which ours isn't) - apparently, this woman laughingly told me, the first four digits of the co-op cards are the same as electron cards, so they don't work! nobody asked dh whether it was a co-op card ffs

so the present isn't paid for and won't be arriving after all

I know it sounds trivial but I am SO upset, it has been a tough two weeks without dh here anyway and I really thought I had done a good job of making his birthday lovely sad

BASTARDS

ThePosieParker Thu 18-Aug-11 15:25:24

He'll never know, if it helps!!

Greensleeves Thu 18-Aug-11 15:29:07

he will know he hasn't got a main birthday pressie though!

I am so angry, she said "Ooooooh...... it's because it's a co-op card"

it's a bank ffs, not some poor relation

PonceyMcPonce Thu 18-Aug-11 15:30:39

Oh no, how awful.

We had a smiliar problem with a big ckae for a birthday, they emailed me and continued the order allowing me to pay on collection.

I don't suppose it is anything we can help you track down?

Ragwort Thu 18-Aug-11 15:31:48

Seriously - calm down, there are lots of ways to make your DS's birthday very special and a present is just one of them.

roomonthebroom Thu 18-Aug-11 15:31:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ruddynorah Thu 18-Aug-11 15:31:49

What's the item and where do you live?

Greensleeves Thu 18-Aug-11 15:32:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

pinkthechaffinch Thu 18-Aug-11 15:34:12

oh well these things happen

have you got time to get your ds anything else?

if it's any consolation, my credit card was refused at Lidl's yesterday as they don't accept credit cards apparently. Cue much embarrassment on my behalf as had no other way of paying and a trolley full of goods that had to be put back. blush and there was a long queue.

honeymom Thu 18-Aug-11 15:34:51

Wow. Really it's your own fault for leaving it so late. Seems extremely trivial to be getting upset. Why can't you go into town and get him something. Birthdays aren't made by the gift they are made by the memories.

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:01

Can someone go out and pick it up for you from the store? Or was it delivery only?

minipie Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:04

Ring them up again, ask for the complaints department

Ask to speak to the supervisor

Tell them the story just as you've told it here

Ask them to get it delivered for tomorrow. They SHOULD be able to unless it's got to come from China or something. There are overnight couriers.

(And you could tell them someone on MUMSNET suggested it when you talked about the problem online. They know a lot of their customer base reads mumsnet.)

faverolles Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:07

Could you buy a similar item while your ds is at the party?(assuming you can leave him there)

jetsetlil Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:16

YABVU. Get a grip - it's a present for gods sake!

TheOriginalFAB Thu 18-Aug-11 15:35:26

Greensleeves - I am near a M&S, what is it and can I get one to you for you?

MmeLindor. Thu 18-Aug-11 15:36:34

What was it that you ordered? And is there a chance that M&S can get it to you? Or that you can get to a store and get it before tomorrow.

Just because there are worst things that can happen, doesn't mean to say that Greensleeves is not entitled to be upset about this - and it is a big thing for a 7yo to not get a birthday present.

SomekindofSpanish Thu 18-Aug-11 15:36:51

I feel your pain.

DS1's birthday was last Friday and we are still waiting for his main presents to arrive which were ordered last Tuesday for next day delivery. Apparently, one part of the order was no longer in stock and they no longer will stock it (depsite the order e-mail saying in stock ) and I should have received an e-mail telling me this - I had not. All this, after the second phonecall I had made to find out what was going on hmm. They are now going to ship the second part. I wait with baited breath....

Is this an item you could run to a store a get (assuming you are near enough to a store)?

fedupofnamechanging Thu 18-Aug-11 15:37:12

M&S can be a bit shit when it comes to cards. DH has a credit card with them and if he spends money in a place that they think is a bit unusual (internet access, when he's away for work), they get all nervy and put a freeze on the card. Mind you, they don't tell you before they do it, so you could go to pay for your petrol one day and find the only card you have has been cut off with no prior consultation.

Really poor of them not to check what card you had.

Blatherskite Thu 18-Aug-11 15:37:56

I think minipie's suggestion was a good one. If it can be delivered next day then have it delivered tomorrow. It might not be there, wrapped from when he gets up, but it will be there that way...

Sirzy Thu 18-Aug-11 15:38:43

Although I can understand your frustration you do seem to be a bit ott in your reaction.

LineRunner Thu 18-Aug-11 15:39:20

Hi, Greensleeves.

I don't 'get' what M&S has against the good ole Co-Op, either. They must take Co-Op cards 'in store', surely to god?

If it were me, I'd ask M&S exactly how they were going to get the present to me by the end of tomorrow afternoon. Could it be paid for cash at the door? Cash or a card payment to a local M&S store today or in the morning? Someone in the whole of M&S must be able to deal with this in the next 24 hours.

MorningCoffee Thu 18-Aug-11 15:39:24

Blimey calm down everyone, i don't think comparing things in life is very on to be honest, greensleves is just saying she is upset & i can understand her frustration over this, we all like to make our kids birthdays a special day & we all make these plans for presents/parties etc, when they go wrong it can be frustrating, why people are saying get a grip is beyond me.

What is it greensleves can we help you?

WideWebWitch Thu 18-Aug-11 15:40:40

Can't you get to an mand s today?

MugglesandLuna Thu 18-Aug-11 15:40:42

I was all ready to be sympathetic, but you last post is so vile I cant find it in me!

PonceyMcPonce Thu 18-Aug-11 15:40:46

not an overeaction. I broke a toe, kicking a freezer when bouncy castle di dnot arrive for dd birthdya

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now