Talk

Advanced search

Save me from throttling a cat!

(23 Posts)
LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:29:25

Staying with my sister as AC has broken where i live. My horrible cat had peed on top of my lovely (expensive) feather duvet in in protest at having been moved again.

It reeks of male cat piss and I have to wash it. Any tips? Dry cleaning won't do it, it needs a real wash.

I then have to get the smell out of the futon where its leaked down to sad

TheMonster Thu 18-Aug-11 14:31:00

I would bin it. We still have a patch of carpet that smells of cat pee despite many intensive cleans. The cat has been dead for nearly two years.

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:31:19

This was meant to be in chat sorry sad

but before anyone says it I would BU to throttle a cat, I know

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:32:32

What the duvet or the futon, BOE? Can't the duvet be washed? sad I suspect I may have to get them a new futon. It's leather or pleather so I may have a chance of cleaning it

Taffeta Thu 18-Aug-11 14:32:48

Poor cat, moving is stressful enough for us, let alone the poor farking cat.

Bin it. And the futon. Febreze ain't going to do it.

HellonHeels Thu 18-Aug-11 14:33:54

Awwww poor puss cat :-(( Don't be angry with him. He can't talk about his anxieties and annoyances - he's just using the few methods he has of communicating. Can you get him a Feliway collar, diffuser or spray to help calm him?

Are you in the UK? Here you can get smell removing spray from vets' surgeries.

I took my feather duvet to a dry cleaners when my cat pissed on it (twice!) They laundererd it and it came up smelling fine with no stains.

Hope he feels better soon. Be kind to him!

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:35:15

We are in the US, I actually shipped my duvet here from the UK as DH didn't like the American ones, money well spent obviously!

HellonHeels Thu 18-Aug-11 14:35:57

Don't bother with Febreeze, it won't be good enough. The smell remover spray is based on biological principles (sorry, sounds like bollocks but it does work!) cant; check what it's called at the moment because I'm at work.

TheMonster Thu 18-Aug-11 14:36:12

The duvet I would chuck. Try washing the futon with some biological washing powder, but be careful that it doesn't damage it if it's leather.

MadamDeathstare Thu 18-Aug-11 14:36:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeavyHeidi Thu 18-Aug-11 14:38:54

and get the cat fixed, their pee won't smell so horribly any more.

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:41:10

We are leaving tonight (we almost left last night but dd went to sleep and it seemed easier to wait..... arghhh) I feel horrible, the room reeks, I want to see what I can get sorted before I tell her when she gets home. I hat messing up other people's stuff sad

The duvet is only a priority cause it got the brunt of the pee and mostly stunk out the room, I've hung it outside until I can get to laundrette. They aren't allowed to have cats in their flat but let me stay because it was so hot at our's that we were worried about leaving them sad

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:42:05

Cat is fixed and was fixed as a kitten he has never done this before or I wouldn't have stayed in someone's house

momobiker Thu 18-Aug-11 14:43:13

if you are staying with your sis for a while, there is a plug in that you can buy in the vets that stops the cat being anxious and thus stops it pee'ing everywhere

Try white vinegar on the stain on the futon, and on the duvet. It neutralises the smell of cat pee, and then the vinegar is much easier to rinse out (and will fade from the futon).

Our elderly cat used to wee indoors, and I always doused the spot with white vinegar - the front room would smell like a chip shop for a few hours, but it would clear much more quickly than the cat wee smell.

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:49:15

Thanks for suggestions guys I will go searching for the mentioned supplies when my ride gets here in a couple of hours [argh emoticon] I just thank the cat gods it hasn't gone in the carpet. I wil wash the duvet in a big machine if it is ruined or still stinks I'll bin it then. Have to try it first though

RosieBP Thu 18-Aug-11 14:49:43

Our (female) cat is constantly peeing on bed/soft furnishings etc. We have some stain and odour removal spray which is designed for this and works - including on our sofas. If you have your duvet dry cleaned the smell will come out of it.

Also heard the vinegar trick is meant to work. Good luck, I know how horrible it is!

LolaRennt Thu 18-Aug-11 14:51:50

I am hoping the futon is made of pleather not leather seems to be 3x the price for leather online, annoying too because the futon was already fucked (had big rips in it) but useable because it didn't stink of piss

HellonHeels Thu 18-Aug-11 15:31:05

Have a google for cat urine smell or similar - there are a few links to various remedies for getting the smell out of leather, might be worth a look.

You could also ask the people on the Litter Tray forum on MN?

Good luck!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Thu 18-Aug-11 15:31:26

Good luck with throttling a cat. I risk being stitched up in A&E whenever I apply Frontline to the back of my feline's neck, and as for administering worming tablets single-handedly.... suffice it to say I'm scouring eBay for a suit of armour and gauntlets.

MadamDeathstare Thu 18-Aug-11 17:12:37

MadamDeathstare Thu 18-Aug-11 18:46:28

HansieMom Thu 18-Aug-11 20:03:23

Your sis may be ready to give up the futon, in which case you could give her the money for a new mattress and let her use it for new furniture. Otherwise she may think, oh, shoot, a new futon mattress now I've got to keep the darn thing a few more years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now