Talk

Advanced search

to defer DS eighth birthday celebrations to the weekend?

(7 Posts)
AlcoPop Thu 18-Aug-11 14:02:13

DS is eight today! grin

DS has been consulted and will have a family birthday outing with jelly and ice cream at the weekend.
As he's just back at school, a party with friend will have to be in a couple of weeks to give them some notice.

He seems happy enough with the arrangement and got pressies from the nice GPs and us this AM.

So far so good...

DW and I are both at work today, and will then be out on the town for a rare date night. Regular childcare will be babysitting tonight.

We'll next see DS tomorrow AM before work and then it's the Weekend.

Is it unreasonable to be out on the town on DS's birthday? confused

signet Thu 18-Aug-11 14:06:35

Why would you arrange a date night on your son's birthday? Don't get it at all, but it could just be because i place a high importance on birthdays. We never go out on their birthdays and always have a special time together where the birthday child gets to choose what we have for dinner. Neither of us work on birthdays either so we are both around to pick up from school and have family time.

I guess it depends on how your son feels about it though. Did you ask him?

cat64 Thu 18-Aug-11 14:16:04

Message withdrawn

AlcoPop Thu 18-Aug-11 15:43:22

Thanks for the comments.

signet - We did ask him, and he was more concerned with the detail of the friends event than today and Sunday. We have and will do the special family time and choice of entetainment/ supper - just on on the calendar day of the birthday.

cat64 - Yes a family duvet moment as the little blighter tore into cards and wrapping paper.

and we're keeping the family and friends things separate as tweenager "embarrassing family" syndrome is already apparent...

I suppose that my question is really about how special is a specific date - I'm obviously in the "move it like a bank holiday" camp.

When Anniversaries come around, be they wedding or birthdays, we aknowledge the date but usually have the hooley on a nearby weekend.

Cheers, again.

ChippyMinton Thu 18-Aug-11 15:48:53

Does he not even get to blow out candles on his cake today?

Personally I wouldn't have arranged to go out on a birthday, unless it was a one-off event like a concert or something.

AlcoPop Fri 19-Aug-11 09:19:44

ChippyMinton no candles unless the au pair pulled a blinder.

Date nights are pretty rare but so are school night birthday parties.

Thanks for the comments, it would appear that DW and I are against the grain in not doing more on the day itself.

I best book some time off for Christmas... smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 19-Aug-11 09:48:30

I wouldnt have arranged to go out on his birthday, even if you dont do anything special with him, we only get one birthday each a year and it is the one day when you absolutely do put your childs needs above your own if you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now