Talk

Advanced search

To think this is adequate cleaning after having dogs in a house?

(16 Posts)
midori1999 Thu 18-Aug-11 11:21:57

We are in the process of moving out of our army quarter and had what they call a 'pre march out' this morning, where someone comes round and tells us what needs to be done to the house prior to us moving out. They are knOwn for being a bit difficult and the house is pretty much expected to be 'as new' when we leave. The chap went over the lawn with a fine tooth comb and tried to say we'd be charged for it as we had dogs, that no-one with small DC could now be accommodated in the house because dogs had been in the garden etc. (we had permission to have dogs there!) My DH told him that the dogs had not been on the grass at all as it had been fenced off to keep the dogs on the large paved area. He then said 'well, if the house smells of dogs at all, if I even get the tiniest whiff of dog when I come back, we'll charge you to clean and fumigate the whole house'.

By the time the chap returns, the dogs will have been out of the house for 10 days. The windows and doors have been open all day every day, windows open at night. All the Walls have been washed and freshly painted, the woodwork washed down with a mild bleach solution, hard floors thoroughly mopped several times, frogging scrubbed etc. The carpets will have also been cleaned twice, once with our own (pretty decent, rug doctor type) Vax machine and once with an industrial carpet cleaner. Our own curtains/blinds have been removed and fresh put up.

Surely IANBU to think the above will remove any trace of dog? We have a feeling they will try and charge us anyway, but if they say it smells of dogs and we don't, I'm not sure what we can do.

Forgottensomething Thu 18-Aug-11 11:28:30

Get some plug in air fresheners? I have 2 dogs so know what it's like! I know there not too everyones taste but would hide anything with fragrance?

faverolles Thu 18-Aug-11 11:28:51

I don't think there's any more you can do - sounds plenty enough to me.

Forgottensomething Thu 18-Aug-11 11:29:28

Oh and grtsomeone who doesn't have dogs to pop in and ask if there's any smell left?

ExitPursuedByATroll Thu 18-Aug-11 11:34:06

Crikey- would you like to pop round and do a spot of cleaning in my house? It sounds fabulous to me.

I am sure 10 days of open windows etc will eradicate any smell of dog.

itisnearlysummer Thu 18-Aug-11 11:36:50

Sounds enough to me and I don't like dogs particularly.

The carpets being cleaned would be the big issue.

Agree, get someone like me round and see if they can detect a hint of dog.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 18-Aug-11 11:38:04

I'd say it sounds fine provided the dogs haven't wee'd much in the house as dog wee seems to soak through floorboards and can leave a horrid smell.

Also sprinkle some essential oils around - nicer and stronger than plug-ins.

booyhoo Thu 18-Aug-11 11:43:58

oh mid that sounds more than enough cleaning but i have a sense you maybe right about them going to charge you anyway. i would probably be useless to you as i am accustomed to WB's smell but you know i am nearby if you want a fresh nose. i had the same problem in my last house (not army quarters) with the landlord insisting there was a smell. thankfully she backed down and is going to give me my deposit back.

hatwoman Thu 18-Aug-11 11:50:32

"no-one with small DC could now be accommodated in the house because dogs had been in the garden" what a load of complete and utter bullshit.

"if they say it smells of dogs and we don't, I'm not sure what we can do." common sense (not any specific knowledge, I hasten to add) tells me that you can keep a written, dated record of all the steps you have taken, including inviting independent non-dog owning people round to pass their opinion on the state of whiffiness. Then, if they say it smells, you have the basis for an appeal. You have taken all reasonable, and proportionate measures and, in light of the fact that the dog was allowed, they would be wholly unreasonable to charge you. Also talk to army friends and colleagues and see if you can find anyone with a similar experience.

DogsBestFriend Thu 18-Aug-11 11:51:39

Sounds excellent to me... do you want to come and clean my house too? grin

I hope the bugger isn't awkward and assy to you Midori.

Two things...

1. - You've reminded me why I turned down the offer of marriage from a soldier I was dating... no WAY would I be an army wife and take shit from my DH's employers! grin <<arsey, independent moo emoticon>>

2. - What have you done with me Retrievers and me mad BC?! I take it that they're on holiday? grin

oldraver Thu 18-Aug-11 11:56:22

I havn't lived in a MQ for 20 odd years and quite frankly the people doing March Outs were little shits trying to do you for anything at all, (dust on the water tank anyone). Once they know you have a pet they will be extra pernickity. I had a guy go round pulling up the carpet and sniffing the underlay.

I've handed over a MQ and not be charged and I swear you could see the disappointment. I've also been charged for a cooker that 'wasn't up to scratch' and the guy started to throw all the shelves out saying "look at this. look at this, I will have to charge you for cleaning". In my bleary eyed, been up till 3am cleaning state, I just said ok I will pay the fine". Funnily enough the cooker wasnt 'dirty enough' for the incoming occupant and he refused the offer of professional cleaning.

I cant understand the dog thing, its not like its a rarity for dogs in MQ's

SaffronCake Thu 18-Aug-11 12:01:09

Bloody DHE/ DE. He's trying it on. Go up the famillies office and speak to the welfare officer or the secretary even. He/she should be able to tell you the march out cleaning companies opperating on that particular married pad. Ring one up, ask them to come round and quote you for the job and explain what you get for that money...
1. If it's cheap enough save yourself the bother- if the company does it they're reponsible not you.
2. If it's not cheap enough you know exactly what needs to be done.

If this is your first move out of quarters please be reassured that there are a significant number of utter tosspots drawn to work in and on the periphery of the armed forces (inc. the DHE) who just like throwing thier weight about. New wives are easier targets than jaded old ones. Ask a wife with more march-out experience to come round and give an opinion, my guess is that unless your dogs really were stinkers the DHE pillock is just another small man hiding behind a badge.

addictedtogaviscon Thu 18-Aug-11 12:04:36

Honestly it isnt worth all your hard work......just pay for the cleaning company and move onto your next quarter, use your relocation money to pay for it.

DilysPrice Thu 18-Aug-11 12:06:33

My DM happened to be in the rare situation of moving straight into a house the instant the march out was finished. The previous couple had cleaned obsessively - the house looked like a newbuild. While DM was waiting for the marchout checks to be finished the wife offered her a cup of tea, and a single drop of water spilled over the edge of the shiny metal kettle, leaving a limescale spot.
The bastard told her that she would be charged for a new kettle, whereupon DM naturally informed him that since she was the one taking over the quarter she could happily live with a kettle which had been used. The curl of his lip told her exactly what he thought of people who were happy to live in such squalor....honestly you do wonder what these guys' own houses look like.

OTOH a particularly sweet marchout officer once let DM off with a carpet with a huge stain where DB had spilled a "magic potion" in the middle of the room, on the grounds that "kids will be kids" and the carpet was a few years old anyway.

lashingsofbingeinghere Thu 18-Aug-11 12:10:41

Well, playing devil's advocate here, and having bought a house from a dog owner, it takes a hell of a lot to get rid of all traces of "dogginess".

When I moved into our current house it was spotless - found out later the previous owner had hired a "clean team" to polish, mop, hoover, dust amd wash wood work (but not the walls I think).

It still smelt doggy tho' and I proceeded to have the carpets and curtains professionally cleaned - twice! - and I could still catch a doggy aroma when I walked in for weeks after we moved in. In the end I stopped noticing, I guess, but don't be surprised if your army chap does claim to catch a whiff of dog. It is very persistent!

Keep your fingers crossed the inspector has a cold. Or bake some cakes when he is due to come round grin

Debs75 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:23:53

Washed carpets will smell doggy until they are bone dry so leave the windows open and maybe put fans in there.
When my dsis moved they told her the dog smell was horrendous and got a carpet cleaner out. Even after he had done it they told him it still smelt and refused to pay. The new tennants however can not smell dog at all.

OP I am hoping to move in a few weeks, anychance you could pop round and give my home the once overgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now