Talk

Advanced search

to ask you all for suggestions for DH's 40th birthday...?

(15 Posts)
superv1xen Thu 18-Aug-11 10:18:03

i have a budget of about £300

ideally i want the 2 of us to go away for at least one night

and i also want to get him actual presents as well

i know i am really pushing it on such a tight budget but i want to make it really special for him as he is a bit depressed about it and keeps moaning about it hmm

any suggestions greatly appreciated smile

Sewmuchtodo Thu 18-Aug-11 10:22:02

This all depends on where in the country you are as travel is so expensive!

superv1xen Thu 18-Aug-11 10:25:32

we are in the midlands sewmuch

kittensliveupstairs Thu 18-Aug-11 10:27:11

Don't do what I did on the suggestion of a friend. Wrapping yourself in clingfilm and sitting seductively in the front room is not a good look. Nor is trying to rip it off when he arrives with his friend. It goes into ropes which dig in rather painfully.
I can't see why you can't go away and buy him a present. £300 is a decent amount of money.
Where do you live?

plusonemore Thu 18-Aug-11 10:31:21

I have found some deals for really nice hotels on a dinner bed and breakfast basis- you need to search for deals, and when you find one you like search again for that hotel specifically, you often find it cheaper elsewhere. Hotel du vin in Cheltenham was v good (bath in the bedroom as well as a huge bathroom- we lounged in it for most of the afternoon with bubbly and the papers!) and also one in Chipping Camden, will try to find the name. Prob was £150 for us both for one night, really ace food at both places too

plusonemore Thu 18-Aug-11 10:34:04

hotel du vin deals

chipping campden but prices have gone up loads!

grovel Thu 18-Aug-11 10:34:39

Go to a luxury B&B in Derbyshire - maybe near Matlock in the heart of the Dales. Go for a lovely walk and then have dinner in a country pub. Perhaps Cascades Gardens B&B in Bonsall (£100 per night) and the King's Head.

Sewmuchtodo Thu 18-Aug-11 10:39:45

DH and I have stayed here (when visiting BIL with a questionable view on hygine)

HERE

Which would leave plenty in the budget for a gift.

knobbysEx Thu 18-Aug-11 11:24:48

http://www.intotheblue.co.uk/flying-experiences/

I've bought a helicopter flight for a friend, and....

http://www.intotheblue.co.uk/gift-ideas/steam-train/?_$ja=kw:steam+train+rides|cgn:Steam+Train+Generic+Exact|cgid:1918915335|tsid:6807|cn:Gourmet+Campaign|cid:61712535|lid:821686989|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:6163578375&gclid=CLHe-JTQ2KoCFUFP4QoduzQP9Q

a steam train ride and sunday lucnh for two for my Dad's 60th

lashingsofbingeinghere Thu 18-Aug-11 12:27:37

You may find a good deal on last minute.com?

Eg 4 star country house hotel 4* DB&B £149 2 people one night. (Charingworth Manor, which I stayed in years ago and was lovely)

biddysmama Thu 18-Aug-11 12:36:52

kittensliveupstairs ... you did what now? i wouldnt do that, when my dh turns 40 in october i'll be 25 weeks pregnant so i doubt it would be very attractive anyway grin

handbagCrab Thu 18-Aug-11 12:40:06

What does he like doing? Does he like sports, cars, nice food, the countryside, going abroad, music etc? £300 is a good amount to have to spend. Apparently, experiences are better for your mood than stuff, so unless there's something you know he'd love I'd spend the whole lot on the weekend.

If you're in the midlands, you're surrounded by airports so you could go Paris/ Dublin/ Berlin/ Barcelona if there's cheap flights left?

robotlollypopman Thu 18-Aug-11 12:42:42

I took my wife to Prague for 5 nights and got flights and a nice hotel for £300. :-) Look at easyjet and travelrepublic.

NUFC69 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:42:59

My children gave me a flight in a glider for my 60th birthday - I know it wasn't very expensive and I loved it - it's totally different from flying in a plane. I flew over the Cheviots in Northumberland, but I am sure there will be similar places in the Midlands.

superv1xen Thu 18-Aug-11 17:35:09

thanks for all the suggestions smile

have actually found some quite UK good hotel deals

and ROFL @ the poor lady who got stuck in cling-film....i won't be doing THAT in a hurry grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now