Talk

Advanced search

To think this was really odd?

(13 Posts)
princessglitter Wed 17-Aug-11 23:41:49

My mum's friend said she had two spare tickets for a musical production (won't say which one) and she was wondering if me and my dd would like to go.

I offered money for the tickets but she said it was her pleasure and that they would only be going to waste otherwise.

She suggested we could meet up before the performance and explained that she was also going along with her grown up (late 30s) dd. She said we could travel up together but not to tell the dd where we had got the tickets. She said this was because she had originally got the tickets for two friends the dd didn't like and she wanted to keep the peace. I was a bit hmm but agreed.

She then told me to say that I had booked the tickets earlier and to act all surprised when we ended up sitting together!

I felt really uncomfortable (I'm not a good liar) and as she told me this on the way to pick her daughter up it was too late to politely refuse the tickets (my 6 year old dd was in the car and v excited about the show). I felt like I had no choice but to go through with the charade.

The theatre was packed and so it looked v suspect when I had to pretend to be surprised that we were in the same seats. The dd seemed to be questioning her mother about it. My mum's friend kept up with this lie and encouraged me to embellish it further: 'You booked in January, didn't you princess? Did you get a choice of seats?' etc. V uncomfortable and odd!

Then at the interval, the dd upped and left without saying goodbye to anyone. My mum's friend said she had decided the show wasn't for her. As we had all come in the same car, this meant the dd had to walk for 30 mins to get to a tram station. She had been perfectly friendly beforehand. My mum's friend said her dd was often like this.

I was v appreciative for the tickets and dd and I enjoyed the show, but ABU to find the whole situation v odd?

GaramMasalaGirl Wed 17-Aug-11 23:46:19

How strange! I wonder what that was all about? Do you think your mum might know.

DrKoothrappali Wed 17-Aug-11 23:46:31

Yep, that does seem very weird I guess there is something going on behind the scenes you don't know about, some back story or other. Just forget about it, at least you and your DD enjoyed the show. if this woman offers any other events make sure you are washing your hair that night!

Salmotrutta Wed 17-Aug-11 23:46:59

That is very strange behaviour!
Why could she not just say to her daughter that as the daughter didn't like the two friends she had decided to offer them to you?
How uncomfortable you must have felt! I'd have been mortified, especially when the daughter left.

LadyThumb Wed 17-Aug-11 23:47:05

Um, perhaps the daughter is a bit of an oddball (in the nicest possible way, of course)? Sounds as though the mother is a little wary of her.

Gillybean73 Wed 17-Aug-11 23:47:59

It is very odd but why waste time worrying about it? It's not you who has the issues, it's the woman who gave you the tickets and her daughter. I suspect there is a lot more to their relationship than meets the eye so I'd let them get on with it and give them a wide berth if you get invited out to anything else, it sounds like it's a lot more hassle than it's worth.

Salmotrutta Wed 17-Aug-11 23:48:16

Aren't some folk strange?? shock confused
.................. I'm not strange, oh no.

princessglitter Wed 17-Aug-11 23:48:30

My mum had no idea either. We had a lovely time - just found it a bit puzzling!

AgentZigzag Wed 17-Aug-11 23:49:00

Horrible to be dragged into your mums friends game playing.

It sounds very maniuplative, and the DD acted as though she knew exactly what was going on.

I wouldn't feel guilty about anything you did, the mum really gave you no choice.

Maybe the mum was playing on the fact you wouldn't want to say anything in front of your DD?

Hopefully it was a good show which made up for the situation you found yourself in.

squeakytoy Wed 17-Aug-11 23:50:12

I think the daughter had sussed out that her mum was bullshitting her. Absolutely no issues with you at all, but probably furious at her mother for putting you all through this charade.

muminthemiddle Wed 17-Aug-11 23:53:36

Very strange.

princessglitter Wed 17-Aug-11 23:58:15

That might explain it squeakytoy.

I'm an honest, straightforward type of person so this type of elaborate deception doesn't make sense to me at all. I felt a bit like I was in the middle of someone's family argument.

DD had a great time and wants to go again, so at least she enjoyed it. We will go again on our own next time.

FreudianSlipper Thu 18-Aug-11 00:09:02

how odd

reminded me of this guy i went out with he always had to make a story out of something even when there didn't need to be this is the sort of thing he would have done, he was a compulsive liar but why lie when you do not need to lie

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: