Talk

Advanced search

to think that this is a bit disturbing?

(18 Posts)
IsSamNormansDad Wed 17-Aug-11 22:02:00

here
Its an article in the DM about Gaps 'Always Skinny' range. The picture of the mannequin speaks for itself. Personally, I have NEVER seen a healthy adult that thin!
It frightens me to think that a huge multinational company think this is appropriate given models that thin are not allowed to model in London Fashion Week.
sad

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 17-Aug-11 22:04:43

Bloody hell, the legs on that are stick thin! Unless it's been photoshopped to make it look even skinnier.

SouthGoingZax Wed 17-Aug-11 22:06:44

it's been photoshopped. Surely.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Wed 17-Aug-11 22:07:49

Wow, if that's not photoshopped then that's disturbing. I would like to think that no-one would want legs that skinny but unfortunately people in the grip of eating disorders might want that look.

fartmeistergeneral Wed 17-Aug-11 22:08:39

nooooo, the left leg is all wrong at the top - photoshopped!

IsSamNormansDad Wed 17-Aug-11 22:09:47

I certainly hope its been photoshopped. If I ever wanted skinny jeans (I wont, they would not be kind to my post-DC figure), I wouldnt want to buy them where the mannequins look sick!

pigletmania Wed 17-Aug-11 22:12:02

I've seen bigger legs on a daddy long legs shock

Portofino Wed 17-Aug-11 22:12:14

My 7yo has chunkier legs than that! I was buying clothes in UK the other weekend and was slightly disturbed that "skinny jeans" were all that were on sale in Asda.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Wed 17-Aug-11 22:16:13

Fartmeister - I thought that but actually it's just obscured by a label. I still think it must be photoshopped in some other way though. Surely?!

AlpiniAddict Wed 17-Aug-11 22:16:53

fmg do you mean the left leg from our pov or the mannequins? If you look closely there is a tag in front of the left leg that makes it look deformed.

AlpiniAddict Wed 17-Aug-11 22:17:33

X post Mary smile

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 22:18:17

haha that mannequin is just how my ten year old draws people grin

fartmeistergeneral Wed 17-Aug-11 22:18:27

lol! I don't have my glasses on and I thought it was double doors behind the left leg!

seeksnewnamewithgsoh Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:16

The top of the left leg has a label in front of it. But it still doesn't look real confused

squeakytoy Wed 17-Aug-11 22:28:41

It hasnt been photoshopped. I have seen the mannequins in the Kingston store, and they really are that unfeasibly malnourished.

If a live person were to be walking around in that state of emaciation, you would rush them to a hospital.

It is a bugbear of mine that shop window dummies are always so ridiculously "underweight" in comparison to a healthy human body.

SnapesMistress Wed 17-Aug-11 22:29:16

I see legs that thin at least once a week, usually in a goth club.

Whippoorwhill Wed 17-Aug-11 22:31:29

It seems that not only are the manneqins really that skinny, the article was 'stolen' by the DM from a blogger.

See here. www.wonderlandblog.com/wonderland/2011/08/the-daily-mail-knowingly-and-commercially-used-my-photos-despite-my-denying-them-permission.html

IsSamNormansDad Wed 17-Aug-11 22:36:57

Whippoorwhill, that how I found the article, someone linked to the photographers blog on my FB.
I just found the mannequin disturbing, particularly in a shop where many teenage girls shop. It's not on to steal the photos/article though, just felt that the content was more important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now