Talk

Advanced search

microdermabrasion dermabrasion lasor etc ...

(14 Posts)
skybluepearl Wed 17-Aug-11 21:41:04

I've been looking around at these as i'd like to do something. Am I being unreasonable to be worried about how safe they are - particularly dermabrasion lasor and peels

Safary Wed 17-Aug-11 21:42:55

MDA is great and safe. I was thinking like you before I tried. Very gentla and effective.

ThatWomanAgain Wed 17-Aug-11 21:45:49

I had a few microdermabrasion facials after pregnancy acne, quite mild and faded the pink spots.

sniffy Wed 17-Aug-11 21:47:27

Is it for general rejuvenation or do you have scars?

skybluepearl Thu 18-Aug-11 18:34:12

Thanks for your responces. I get odd spots still despite my age (have minor acne scars) and would really like a general rejuvenation. Sounds like MDA would be good for minor acne. Are home kits any good - how do they compare to salon treatments? Quite interested in other treatments too but I've no idea what is good and what isn't.

PreviouslyonLost Thu 18-Aug-11 18:50:36

Skybluepearl ... I had years of blemish free teenage skin that went mental at 21 due to a change of contraceptive pill ... horrendous cysts under the skin that caused scarring, years of antibiotics, face creams etc.... FINALLY was prescibed Roaccutane and 'cured' ... left with 'ice-pick' scars that I waited 9 years to get to the top of the list for laser treatment ... day before op found out I was expecting DC2!

Currently (DC2 now 3) waiting to build up the courage to ask to be put back on surgery list .... it's a general anaesthetic.

People say they don't notice the scars, and in all these years they HAVE diminished but it's how you feel that matters smile.

NotADudeExactly Thu 18-Aug-11 19:07:54

Hmm, can't say anything about dermabrasaion or laser treatment.

BUT:

Microdermabrasion is genius. I recently had the really stupid idea of trying OCM and ended up with my face literally covered in cystic acne bumps. As in practically no healthy skin left on my face. I'm really not a looks obsessed person at all, but this was so bad that I was in tears.

Microdermabrasion has really helped with the horrible scars as the bumps started to improve. I still don't look quite my old self again (it's only been a month) but at least I can leave the house without people staring.
I have honestly not noticed any negative side effects. My first and hopefully only contact with the world of beauty salons ever. I don't regret it.

sniffy Thu 18-Aug-11 23:01:00

what is OCM?

skybluepearl Fri 19-Aug-11 07:07:14

Hi sniffy - just googled and i think it is an oil based cleansing method?

Thanks Notadude and Previously. It's really nice in some ways to hear that I'm not the only one. I must admit it has been effecting my self confidence a bit and i really should try and help myself.

Not ever met anyone who has had lasor or peels. The thought of it worries me but intrests me at the same time.

sniffy Fri 19-Aug-11 08:00:35

Thanks sky. Is microdermabrasion done by a doctor or a beautician?

skybluepearl Fri 19-Aug-11 10:58:59

I think beautitions do a gentle microdermabration and deeper microderabrations are done by a medical clinic??

sniffy Fri 19-Aug-11 11:01:17

Thank you sky. I'd probably have to pay extra because my face is so fat

skybluepearl Fri 19-Aug-11 11:32:43

I'm sure you have a lovely face!

sniffy Fri 19-Aug-11 23:21:48

thanks. It has two working eyes, a nose , a mouth, and several non plastic teeth so I am very thankful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now