Talk

Advanced search

to question my h mental health?

(47 Posts)
Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 21:29:17

My h spends many hours watching sci-fi documentries and dramas.

He now believes that we are all from martians.

In his words that is what the scientists say has happened.

The amount of time he spends watching these programmes causes arguments anyway, but now that it appears to be filling his head with rubbish, am I BU to say that this is not acceptable?

Pandemoniaa Wed 17-Aug-11 21:29:57

Ah, but that's what the Martians want you to think.

Hassled Wed 17-Aug-11 21:30:48

It's what the scientologists say has happened. You need to teach him the difference between scientists and scientologists.

Sparkletastic Wed 17-Aug-11 21:31:21

Are you Katie Holmes?

Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 21:35:34

No I'm not Katie, my h is slightly taller than 5'!!! grin

We are considering sending our youngest to a catholic school - we could end up with a real mixed up kid, if h carries on down this route!!!

gaaagh Wed 17-Aug-11 21:39:42

There are some who say the Catholic angle is filling your DD's head with just as much shite as the martian documentaries though; it's just been validated by many more years of history in that way of thinking, and more people believing it. If you find one acceptable, and not the other, I'm bemused.

wink

You're in no position to say one set of beliefs is "rubbish" and another kind is valid.

For all we know, your DH may be right. What's it to do with you if he believes we're from martians?

I mean - unless he's making you wear tin foil hats or forbids you daughter from talking to men wearing brown suits or something odd, there's no problem... is there? I'm failing to see any problem here.

gaaagh Wed 17-Aug-11 21:40:10

sorry DD's head should be DC's head. for all i know you have a DS smile

GypsyMoth Wed 17-Aug-11 21:45:58

he is correct

the men are from mars
women are from venus
and mumsnetters are from the planet Gregg

all come from different martian gene pools

slightlymad72 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:48:41

Wrap your DC's head in tin foil, it helps to stop the aliens reading his thoughts and taking over his mind.

Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 22:07:34

I really have no opinion whatsoever on religion. I can see the comfort that it can offer, I am not atheist to not believe it.

I always believed up until now that h felt the same way.

He's told me about his belief that we are all martians this evening, I thought he was joking, then went further into conversation and he's completely serious.

I said 'ok I 100% believe that God created the earth in 7 days' and he was saying that has been completely dispelled by scientists and that there is now all this evidence that Mars was a planet like Earth, then a part of it exploded and hit Earth, with life form on it, and life sprung from that rock (it landed in the North Pole incase you are interested) and we are all genetically martians.

It seriously scares me (i don't know why other than he was saying that programmes like Starship Enterprise (or whatever it is called) is mainly factual) that he no longer has a hold on reality.

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 22:09:28

we are aliens, he is right. would question us being martians though.

grin

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 22:10:19

x post, why does his theory scare you?

Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 22:13:55

Mainly because he is now saying that programmes like Battlestar Galatica, Stargate etc are 90% factual.

And won't accept that they are the fantasy work of writers.

He spends so many hours watching these programmes, and interspersed with documentaries that are alternative theories.

I believe he is losing a touch on reality.

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 22:15:17

how old is he?

Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 22:17:07

michelleseashell Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:12

Well all joking aside, science can get a bit crazy. There's a lot of weird stuff going on in the universe which is almost incomprehensible to most people.

Einstein worked in a patent office most of his life because people thought his theories were bollocks

Oakmaiden Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:50

You see I can accept the theory that life on earth sprang from something like as asteroid hit or debris from another planet. Possibly. It is at least as likely as that some beardy bloke created it all in 6 days, and then decided to have a nice day off on day 7.

But the suggestion that your husband believes that Sci Fi shows are true is a bit hmm. Are you sure he is not having you on? Does he have any other symptoms of incipient or developing anorakness?

carpwidow Wed 17-Aug-11 22:23:11

Get him to watch Torchwood tomorrow night - that'll sort him out smile

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Wed 17-Aug-11 22:23:54

'ok I 100% believe that God created the earth in 7 days'
'He now believes that we are all from martians.'

I'd say you're pretty much even.

michelleseashell Wed 17-Aug-11 22:25:04

Depends what bits he thinks are true. They do use a lot of real modern science which is quite odd sounding.

But if he thinks there really are weird looking aliens zipping about in spaceships having emotional dramas then you got a problem.

InTheNightKitchen Wed 17-Aug-11 22:26:02

This is a genuine scientific theory, although it is not one that is widely believed by a consensus of scientists in the field.

Evidence of very simple lifeforms (think bacteria) existing on Mars has been found. It is at least possible that life on Earth is descended from life on Mars if bacteria/spores/similar were brought from Mars to Earth on a meteorite (a long time ago, before any multi-celled organisms let alone people or little green men existed).

It is the sort of science idea that you hear a lot about even though for evolutionary biologists it is just one theory among many that there isn't enough evidence for yet. There is no serious theory that Martians landed here and deliberately implanted life/messed with various organism's genes/trained monkeys to be better at walking and violence/crossbred Earth and Mars lifeforms. So believing that Battlestar Galactica etc is factual is still a warning sign. But perhaps your DH just needs to learn a little bit more about the science and get a little bit of perspective back? Impossible to judge indirectly of course...

InTheNightKitchen Wed 17-Aug-11 22:32:13

Einstein did not 'work in a patent office most of his life' because his genius was unrecognised btw.

He worked in a patent office because that was his job. It was a technical job worthy of a scientist, he wasn't the guy who handed out tickets with numbers on them. While he worked there he published his research on Brownian motion, the photoelectric effect, and eventually relativity. When this work had been published it was widely recognized by physicists as being of considerable importance. He was able to have his pick of science research jobs and spent most of the rest of his life working for the Institute of Advanced Study in Princeton.

Sonearyetsofar Wed 17-Aug-11 22:32:41

EvenLessNarkyPuffin i don't believe it - I said it thinking he was joking. Instead he proceeded to tell me how the creation theory has been disproved, and how martians was fact.

The only bit of the sci fi dramas he says isn't true is the aliens zipping about - his words "don't be so stupid no aliens have visited this earth", but we are martians!!!

hiddenhome Wed 17-Aug-11 22:32:55

Now you cannot tell me that this scary thing

originated on earth. This has got to be a martian confused

michelleseashell Wed 17-Aug-11 22:59:19

Yes I'm oversimpling Einstein's life but while he had a lot of success with certain things, he also produced a lot of hmm faces especially throughout his early and later career.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now