Talk

Advanced search

To crack open the bramble vodka, after reading the thread about blackberrying?

(17 Posts)
Scorchio Wed 17-Aug-11 20:25:46

All the talk of picking wild brambles has made me think of the bramble vodka I made last year. I can hear it calling from the cupboard. AIBU to have a shot of two even though I still have to cook tonight?

honeymom Wed 17-Aug-11 20:27:26

You still have to cook. Wow that's late. Defiantly crack it open wink you may need it to get you through the night.

Just don't fall asleep whilst cooking

GreenEyesandHam Wed 17-Aug-11 20:31:58

I have blackberry bushes at the bottom of the garden. I've been putting them in crumbles, why didn't I think of bramble vodka

<smacks self in useless crumble making head>

Scorchio Wed 17-Aug-11 20:34:13

They make excellent vodka! Drink it straight, like a liqueur. Nom,nom!

AngryGnome Wed 17-Aug-11 20:35:19

You can make bramble vodka? How, how?!
Have been hoarding blakckberries in the freezer before chucking them in the bin making jam. The idea of bramble vodka has suddenly made me much more enthusiastic about defrosting them!

Malvapoeding Wed 17-Aug-11 20:35:21

Do you just add them to a bottle of vodka or do you have to add anything else?

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Wed 17-Aug-11 20:36:09

I am SO, SO jealous! I never have the restraint to make fruit spirits (I just buy the bloody spirit then drink it!)

My mum gives me a bottle of sloe gin every year in my xmas stocking from "santa" (I know, I'm 26) and it's AMAZING.

Wonderi if she'd make me some bramble vodka if I picked them.... how long does it take?

GreenEyesandHam Wed 17-Aug-11 20:36:37

Do you just throw them in a bottle of voddy?
Any sugar? How long do you leave it steeping?

Can you please tell me how you make blackberry vodka, thanks in advance, in other words grin

willowcrow Wed 17-Aug-11 20:40:19

I second that - please tell us how to make blackberry vodka, I have so many blackberry bushes in my garden I cant keep up with all the fruit! Does it work with peaches, plums and cherries too? Thank you smile

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Wed 17-Aug-11 20:45:15

slight hi-jack, sorry
Pub near me makes their own skittles vodka. They just collect all the reds and all the greens from skittles and stick them in a bottle of vodka for a week or so. DELICIOUS!

Waiting eagerly for bramble vodka recipe tho.... :-D

Scorchio Wed 17-Aug-11 20:46:52

My method is completely self-dicovered and probably would have some people wringing their hands, but it works for me.

Add brambles and lots a little sugar to a three-quarters full bottle of vodka. Screw the cap back on and leave to steep for up to a month. Turn the bottle upside down every few days to let the sugar dissolve. Strain the mixture (and eat the berries with ice cream) and voila!

Scorchio Wed 17-Aug-11 20:49:09

Oh, and it works even better with damsons! (Have never tried any other fruit, but am willing to give anything a go once!)

Bloodymary Wed 17-Aug-11 21:00:45

Thank you OP. Oh WOW, this has given me a new incentive to go berrying tonight tomorrow!

GreenEyesandHam Wed 17-Aug-11 21:04:04

Thank you smile

slartybartfast Wed 17-Aug-11 21:05:51

i made damson gin. i am sure vodka would do, i followed a recipe i googled <<unhelpful>>
think it was the same as sloegin which is quite well known.

slightlymad72 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:09:18

You can make allsorts of Liquer type drinks, Raspberry, Star Anise, Liquorice, Wine gums if you want.

Another thing to do with blackberries is to make alcoholic blackberry cordial, take equal quantities of sugar and fruit, layer into a jar that is NOT air tight, always finish with a layer of sugar, leave covered for a couple of days, then stir, mixing the layers together, you keep stiring the mixture every couple of days until the mixture stops fermenting, sieve, bottle and drink or pour over ice cream, cheescake etc can also be done with raspberries.

AngryGnome Wed 17-Aug-11 21:09:49

thank you thank you OP! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now