Talk

Advanced search

to pay the extra money for the replacement windows?

(17 Posts)
PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:36:23

We're having our windows replaced by a semi-retired local guy. It's all a bit cheap and cheerful, so I'm not complaining about the price.

However, I specifically ask (told?) him at least three times that I didn't want patterned windows in the bathrooms. The old windows are opaqued, plain and basic - the same as most bathroom windows that you see. I asked for the same sort of thing.

I came back today and saw that he's fitted glass with a very busy, swirly pattern. They look like a headache to me!

I said that it isn't want I wanted and he said it would cost £120-ish to replace them with plainer glass.

AIBU to pay this, or should I insist that he covers the cost as it's technically his error? He's not charging us a lot, but £120 is still a lot of money, isn't it? We should've asked for samples in advance. He seemed to know exactly what I meant though.

Hmmmm.

deariedearieme Wed 17-Aug-11 19:37:22

He seemed to know exactly what I meant though.

lol

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:39:08

I said I'd like as close as poss to the old windows. He said that would be fine.

LadyThumb Wed 17-Aug-11 19:39:42

Well, he obviously thinks that he DID get what you want. I wouldn't change them as you'll soon get used to them.

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:41:48

He said that the ones he got (which couldn't be more different from 'plain') are the most popular, so that's the ones we should go with.

I doubt they're the most popular, and it isn't his job to tell me which to go with. >cat's bum mouth<!

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:43:27

My neighbour thought they were awful and referred to them as "Chintzy", if that helps! The house is modern and so they look very out of place.

celebmum Wed 17-Aug-11 19:47:15

Get a blind! Lots cheaper than £120!! grin

You'll forget all about them soon enough, I've lived in my house 4years this week and hand on heart I could not tell you right now without looking what the fluff my bathroom window is like!! grin

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:52:28

I know what you mean LadyThumb and celebmum, but as the job's costing a few £££ I want to make sure it's right. The panes really are that bad too!

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 19:57:48

AIBU?? Thanks!

Pandemoniaa Wed 17-Aug-11 19:58:40

Interesting that he assumes these psychedelic bathroom windows are the most popular. When I had my windows replaced we went for as near clear as possible in the bathroom and the company that did the job said that actually, most people chose similarly and hated the horribly busy patterned bathroom windows!

It sounds like your bloke is desperately trying a spot of justification here! Perhaps he has access to a job lot of vile glass that's costing him buggerall and needs using up?

Pandemoniaa Wed 17-Aug-11 20:02:12

As for BU, I suppose that if you weren't absolutely clear (sorry!) about precisely what sort of bathroom window glass you wanted it might be difficult to get the glass replaced free. When we had our windows done we actually chose from samples of frames and glass so there could be no misunderstanding.

OTOH, if you said "as much like the original glass as possible" and you've got something wildly different, it seems a tad unreasonable to charge you for his mistake.

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 20:03:15

That's what I thought, Pandemoniaa.

He was being a bit of a pain about it, really.
Window Man: These are the most popular design. Everyone wants them.
Me: It doesn't matter about that. I don't like them and they're not what I asked for. They're very old-fashioned.
DH: But if they're the most popular, people in their 20's, 30's and 40's must be buying them too, Empress!

Ugh. Nothing better than treated like a half-wit, is there?!

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 17-Aug-11 20:05:10

His error, he should fix it. It may or may not be 'cheap and cheerful', but he offered you the price I assume? You didn't beat it out of him with a stick? If so, he should do the job he agreed to do - if you'd not been absolutely clear it'd be different, but it sounds as if you were.

(Btw, I am a bit skeptical about feeling guilt over a cheap job - some people cash in on precisely that.)

joric Wed 17-Aug-11 20:05:33

He'll have gone for the cheapest opaque (happens to be patterned too) glass- someof the patterns are vile.
The plain misted out ( no pattern) is more expensive... A bit more I found- hence our bathroom's pattern opaque beauties.

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 20:12:19

Oh yes, he offered us the price. We didn't negotiate with him at all on it.

Thing is, he's well into his sixties and is a little bit 'doddery'. I don't feel as though I can easily complain and ask him to pay for the mistake. I know that's my own failing though. confused

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 17-Aug-11 20:41:56

Oh, you sap! grin

Well, up to you - but I reckon you'd be well within your rights. As joric says, he's probably gone for the cheap option - he told you it's the most popular, which probably means it is the cheapest too.

Maybe you could get him to go halves on the price of replacement?

PizzaEmpress Wed 17-Aug-11 20:54:41

I am, I am, LRD! grin.

Strangely he broke the handle off the loo flush and didn't mention it. The handle's nowhere to be found either. Very odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now