Talk

Advanced search

to think that my midwife was waaaaaaayyyy off with her little wheel thingy?

(19 Posts)
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 17-Aug-11 19:20:14

I saw the MW today for a booking in appointment. She asked me what my EDD was and then used the wheel to find out how far I was. I told her while she was looking on the date wheel that I was 8 + 2. She said, no, 8 weeks. I said, no 8 + 2 counting from the day my last period started - and I gave her the date.

Oh yes, 8 + 2 she says.

This MW is probably late 50s early 60s and is not recently qualified because she saw me when I had DS nearly 7 years ago.

AIBU or was she being completely nuts in calculating how far I am by looking at my EDD?

hobnobsaremyfave Wed 17-Aug-11 19:21:13

2 days are worth an argument? confused

freybean Wed 17-Aug-11 19:22:57

ha ha 2 days???

mine was 2 months

bumbleymummy Wed 17-Aug-11 19:23:06

I'm not sure I woudl call 2 days 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay' off tbh. - 2 months maybe grin

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 17-Aug-11 19:23:16

Well, no (and I actually said that to her!) but I always thought that you calculated how far you were from date of your period rather than from when you are due???

bumbleymummy Wed 17-Aug-11 19:23:23

x post frey! smile

mycatoscar Wed 17-Aug-11 19:23:44

I think to say she was waaaaaaaayyyy off is a bit of an overeaction yes!

Sounds like she agreed with you anyway, so is that what's been put on your notes?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 17-Aug-11 19:24:45

grin @ bumbleymummy - I am tired and fractious and moody so I am allowed some poetic license.

Freybean: yikes! I hope it was at the beginning rather than the end of your pregnancy that they got the 2 months wrong!

mycatoscar Wed 17-Aug-11 19:25:42

cool name btw - anything to do with a play/musical?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 17-Aug-11 19:26:02

Mycatoscar, no notes were drawn up because she said that if I wanted to go to the Royal Surrey, then they would do my booking in there. She only did St Peter's bookings. It was a lovely waste of an afternoon.

extremepie Wed 17-Aug-11 19:26:25

YANBU, I hate that wheel thingy with a passion, sometimes they consult it as being the oracle of all truth without actually engaging brains!

When I was pregnant with DS2, they gave me a EDD which would have meant I conceived in August even though I had a positive pregnancy test in July! What! So according to that, I didn't conceive until after I knew I was pregnant.

Hmmm....

extremepie Wed 17-Aug-11 19:27:05

I told them the whole was through the EDD was wrong but they insisted it wasn't :S

mycatoscar Wed 17-Aug-11 19:27:21

oh no OP! No wonder you're feeling peed off!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 17-Aug-11 19:28:34

Ah, some sympathy - thank you, mycatoscar! DH has come home and has no idea I even fucking went to the MW today.

freybean Wed 17-Aug-11 19:28:38

yep at the beginning lol

was given a edd for jan then when for my 12 week scan only to find i was 5 weeks gone

otherwise i will demand a world record or something smile

freybean Wed 17-Aug-11 19:30:10

in that case OP i now think that YANBU

wigglesrock Wed 17-Aug-11 19:38:39

With dd1 I went to my GPs surgery at 8 weeks, what can I say it was my first grin The doctor I saw calculated my edd as being 4 weeks later than it should have been hmm Funny enough I never saw him in the surgery after that. Congratulations by the way!

CrystalQueen Wed 17-Aug-11 19:41:12

The leap year when I was pregnant caused no end of confusion since the wheel thingy couldn't cope with such things!

MoominsAreScary Wed 17-Aug-11 19:42:02

Mine was off 6 days, they change it anyway when you have your scan, it might not seem alot but I have a history of prem babies so in that case nearly a week can matter

Saying that last time the dating scan was off, when I had one at 31 weeks after my waters broke scan measurements were 33+ 4

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now