Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why someone who isn't a parent would want to use Mumsnet?

(124 Posts)
create Wed 17-Aug-11 16:44:29

I'm not saying I mind, or that they shouldn't, I just wonder why?

I get it if they're about to become a parent or TTC, but there do seem to be a few who post along the lines of I don't have DC, but..... Why is this site of interest to them?

holidayblues Wed 17-Aug-11 16:47:24

there is a whole variety of topics.
they might come here to talk about horses for example, and get sucked in.
once in, you can never leave. you do know that dont you?

holidayblues Wed 17-Aug-11 16:47:52

i mean they might google something which leads them here
it doesnt matter.

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 16:48:10

didn't we have this thread recently?
perhaps it is cos we are so much fun

thejaffacakesareonme Wed 17-Aug-11 16:48:29

Some of the sections on the site have nothing to do with kids but do have lots of good advice. I do have kids, but understand why someone without any would want to lurk on the style and beauty section for instance, I've had lots of useful tips from there.

Suncottage Wed 17-Aug-11 16:49:47

What about women who had MC's or are aunts, godparents, teachers, youth leaders, childminders etc etc

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 17-Aug-11 16:50:59

Nannies, childminders, grandparents, people interested in Dogs, Chickens, Fish or any of the numerous Topics that actually don't remotely involve children.

Also you tend to find that if you ask how people found MN they were usually googling something random and it popped up. You read a thread and you never, ever leave.

Glackley Wed 17-Aug-11 16:51:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

globex Wed 17-Aug-11 16:51:26

I do think its a bit odd tbh

The child-free generally find parents really annoying..

holidayblues Wed 17-Aug-11 16:52:51

you cant go glackley, dont even try, you know you can't grin

Smellslikecatpee Wed 17-Aug-11 16:53:36

Don't have DC's but do have tons of DNephews/Nieces/ friends with children/friend TTC blah blah

You find me another site that has the range of topics this site has (after all not all the areas/topics/situations include children). I mean where else can you talk about Poo Particle Perimeter and Great things feminism has done for me all on the one site

Find it and I'll quite happily sod off grin

FreudianSlipper Wed 17-Aug-11 16:54:04

many of the threads on here have nothing to do with children, that why i like it it is not all baby/children talk and you do not become a different person just becasue you have a child

they probably have a look as it is so often mentioned in teh media they realise there are many interesting people on here and stay around

MooncupGoddess Wed 17-Aug-11 16:54:12

I am childless, came here via the Google route, discovered the Feminism topic and was hooked. Shoot me now.

AuntieMonica Wed 17-Aug-11 16:55:21

but far more than parenting issues are discussed here, mostly by intelligent, informative and witty types

evenlessnarkypuffin Wed 17-Aug-11 16:55:40

Because it's a site that covers all sorts of stuff from the serious to the ridiculous? Because you can find out on here what's the best foundation under £20, get help with relationship issues and be encouraged to google educational things like dragon butter (don't google dragon butter). Because it's important to know what to keep in your Oh-Fuck-Rucksack? Because women enjoy social interaction with other women? And Pan grin

AbsDuCroissant Wed 17-Aug-11 16:55:49

I'm one of them weirdoes. Been here for ages.

I reckon about 4.3% of threads on MN are actually about parenting, the rest are about all sorts of other stuff.

I like it because it's highly amusing and should I have children one day, I who am I kidding, I probably will be am less likely to be all PFB-y and only feed my DC hand grown and woven lentils. Also, it's one of the few places on the internet where lots of intelligent women gather to have interesting chats.

so there.

MissPenteuth Wed 17-Aug-11 16:55:52

Discussions about parenting are actually only a small part of MN. Possibly because, y'now, some of us like to tal about other things than just our DCs every once in a while. So that leaves a fair amount of common ground with non-parents.

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 16:56:57

I think it's great that there are people here who are not parents, not yet parents, who may be childminders, teachers, work with children in some other capacity or indeed just people who enjoy the wit and banter that can be found on these boards.

It's a great place for chatting, MN - why would you restrict it?

evenlessnarkypuffin Wed 17-Aug-11 16:57:50

Fo0ffyShmoofer: 'You read a thread and you never, ever leave.'

You missed out the evil cackle.

Glackley Wed 17-Aug-11 16:58:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Thumbwitch Wed 17-Aug-11 16:58:49

Should have answered your original question - yes YABU because it doesn't take much to work it out.

LRDTheFeministDragon Wed 17-Aug-11 16:59:04

'I do think its a bit odd tbh

The child-free generally find parents really annoying..'

Maybe they just find people who use generalizations like 'the child-free' annoying? Or people who call them odd?

holidayblues Wed 17-Aug-11 16:59:12

see, i told you glackley grin

and good luck with those 138 children shock

ILoveThinLizzy Wed 17-Aug-11 16:59:14

I joined MN before I had a child and I have been enslaved a member since.

Initially, it was to nosey read about people's "unreasonableness", I got drawn into relationships when I had man trouble - that was too depressing - reading about how horrid people can be to the ones they love - now I while away time when I'm free and avoid getting into arguments. All a bit of distraction.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 17-Aug-11 16:59:18

Because they want to chat to people and they like the personalities of the people here?

Very little of the chat that goes on on mumsnet is about children grin and anyway, even people without children may want to talk about children sometimes. And talk with people who happen to be parents on any one of the million topics on here that are nothing to do with children.

I talk to loads of people in rl who are not parents.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: