Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think mumsnet should have a spell check feature?

(23 Posts)
LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 14:39:00

For many of us spelling isn't our strong point and on a forum like mumsnet where spelling gets picked up on and whr txt spk is not considered acceptable should we have a spell check feature?

I sometime when I write an OP will spell check in my email account but it is kind of a pain in the arse and when I am in a fast paced thread it really is not worth it because by the time I open another window,open my email c&p back in to mumsnet my point is lost.

I know there are a few people with dyslexia on the board who regulary get comments (not that they should, but some people can't help themselves it seems) this would help them get their points across more efficiently as well.

milkmilklemonade Wed 17-Aug-11 14:40:58

There could be some terrible misunderstandings if it had autocorrect though!

Suncottage Wed 17-Aug-11 14:41:00

Yes - I would like spell checker as well.

Andrewofgg Wed 17-Aug-11 14:41:35

Spell cheque is infallible!

piprabbit Wed 17-Aug-11 14:41:52

I use Google Chrome for my web browser and it has an in-built spell check for where ever I am posting.

It works very well and I'd recommend it to anyone - but I still sometimes manage to type and post before noticing my mistakes grin.

worraliberty Wed 17-Aug-11 14:42:10

I don't think it's necessary.

I can't remember a time where I've read something that's so badly spelled, I can't work out what it means.

The constant use of acronyms are far more confusing. Hardly a day goes by where I don't scratch my head and think 'what on earth does that mean'?

milkmilklemonade Wed 17-Aug-11 14:42:15

Sniping at spelling/grammar is very bad form though. On the good side, the general rule for me is the angrier I am the more mistakes. It is a kind of temper gauge.

LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 14:42:52

No one wants auto check! But if just before you post you have the option of finding out what words you have really fucked up you can choose to ignore or change depending on if you will be understood.

milkmilklemonade Wed 17-Aug-11 14:42:57

Snipping at grammar/spelling would be more effective though.

LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 14:44:21

milkmilklemonade it is bad form, doesn't stop a lot of users! ANd they certainly don't hide in their coven stay in pendants corner like they should

2shoes Wed 17-Aug-11 14:46:07

I can spell check , just can't be arsed sometimes

oldraver Wed 17-Aug-11 15:16:11

I would just ignore it anyway. Its an internet forum and while it is easier to read , I don't think the odd spelling or grammar mistake here and there is relevant. I'm forver hitting the caps lock and correcting that is my limit

boudiccasSideKick Wed 17-Aug-11 15:25:16

Great one LolaRennt! Don't take any notice. I can't be arsed to spell check things. Not sure how the "spelling police" have time read/write on here due to heads being stuck up their bottoms!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Aug-11 16:13:42

Hi there,

The best place to suggest changes to MNHQ is in Site stuff
LolaRennt if you would like to start a thread over there asking for opinions we will take a look.

LolaRennt Wed 17-Aug-11 16:18:02

hmm dare I venture outside of AIBU and Chat?

<enters site stuff with all the scary techy people>

cricketballs Wed 17-Aug-11 16:22:46

if you use firefox, then you can get a dictionary add-on. I struggle though with the spell checker on my smart phone as I am trying to type fast (especially a text message) and I don't check what it has changed a mis-spelling too.....cue some really weird text messages being sent grin

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 17-Aug-11 16:28:44

don't most browsers have a spellcheck feature by default? I know all the ones I use (firefox, chrome, opera) do...

cricketballs Wed 17-Aug-11 16:31:32

internet explorer doesn't

worraliberty Wed 17-Aug-11 16:33:24

I didn't realise anyone still used IE! I think it's possibly the world's slowest browser Lol

Whatmeworry Wed 17-Aug-11 16:34:37

So long as they don't put in the FuckIng Apple AutoCorrect (TM) grin

queenmaeve Wed 17-Aug-11 16:39:24

Yes because when people are posting about mental health, domestic violence, making ends meet they really give a hoot about spelling grin

Mrsgilbertgrape Wed 17-Aug-11 17:38:07

My spelling is terrible and I really need the help of my iPhone on a lot of words. I am so self conscious about it and it is gutting when someone takes the piss out of you for it.

I would rather that it became seen as "bad form" to pull people up on there spelling/grammar etc but some uses seem to like the fact they can use someones weakness in spelling to try and score points againsed another poster in a heated thread.

loopylou6 Wed 17-Aug-11 18:15:06

I think if people are precious enough to get annoyed over small spelling mistakes then that's entirely their issue and if they don't like it they can go elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now