Talk

Advanced search

to be saddened by "don't be disgusting, if you want blackberries we'll get them from the supermarket"?

(208 Posts)
create Wed 17-Aug-11 12:54:07

We spent a good part of yesterday afternoon blackberrying as a family. It was lovely. DCs ate more fruit than they would normally eat in a week, we chatted about nothing / really important stuff all afternoon, whole family returned totally relaxed, we had blackberries and ice cream for tea and have enough in the freezer to keep us in crumbles all winter.

But, while we were out there was a young girls c. 4yo with her grandparents. She wanted to pick and try the fruit like my Dcs were doing. Her grandmother told here "Don't be disgusting, if you want blackberries we'll get some from Tescos". Why in the world would she think chemical laden soft fruit from the supermarket was less disgusting than wild fruit and deprive her GD such a wonderful simple pleasure? It was said in a voice designed for us to hear too, which I thought was a nice touch, but I suppose at least she had taken the little girl out into the countryside smile

charitygirl Wed 17-Aug-11 12:56:23

Hilarious/tragic. What an ignoramus. But more for you I suppose! We have done ome brilliant blackberrying around bucolic streatham this year - I must say I feel a little smug - it's free, wholesome fun for the DCs (and me).

Abra1d Wed 17-Aug-11 12:57:29

It just shows how out of touch people are with where food actually comes from. Sad.

pozzled Wed 17-Aug-11 12:57:34

YANBU. Very sad.

SybilBeddows Wed 17-Aug-11 12:58:29

I still find it quite surreal that you can get them in the supermarket at all.

RatherBeACyborg Wed 17-Aug-11 13:00:04

What's disgusting is the exhorbitant price that is charged for something that is growing FREE outside. (I live in the country and can't stop myself tutting whenever I see them for sale).

squeakytoy Wed 17-Aug-11 13:00:17

What a shame. I used to love going blackberry picking with my mum when I was a kid. Brilliant memories of it.

mistressploppy Wed 17-Aug-11 13:00:38

Unless you were picking them from dog-pee level or the side of a motorway, YANBU grin

Happygomummy Wed 17-Aug-11 13:02:39

Are the brambles with you sweet enough to eat? We have been sampling them in our evening walk and though they are black, they are still quite sour. There are thousands I'm desperate to get my hands on!!

Re your post, idiots!!

senua Wed 17-Aug-11 13:04:53

Who are those people who buy supermarket blackberries? They need their heads examining.

Victoria1984 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:09:44

Seriously why would anyone buy them from a supermarket? Can any MNers explain it to me, I guess some people might not have access to the wild fruit (but that seems unlikely).

YANBU

Andrewofgg Wed 17-Aug-11 13:10:54

People have tried to tell me that milk coems from cows, not from bottles, have you ever heard such ignorant tosh?

BeeBread Wed 17-Aug-11 13:11:02

I'm glad to have seen this - my DS (20 months) eats blackberries the whole way around our local park and I am always torn between thinking that he's having a lovely wholesome experience and "am I a bad parent".

I am never sure whether others are looking at me and thinking that what he is doing is a bit minging. We are in London so it's not quite as countrysidey as some of you.

Don't think there's a chance in hell that I will get him to stop either way though! grin

SybilBeddows Wed 17-Aug-11 13:11:06

I was out for a walk with dh the other night and I picked a few that were rather tart but by great serendipitous good fortune I had a paper bag containing vanilla sugar in my pocket grin
(we had had doughnuts earlier and I couldn't find a bin)

This was in Dorset, there were some nice sweet ones as well.

kittensliveupstairs Wed 17-Aug-11 13:11:47

YANBU. DD has had the time of her life picking and eating the blackberries which grow close to where we live.
She did find some wildlife in one, but discarded the berry and maggot.

nocake Wed 17-Aug-11 13:13:13

I don't have a problem with people like that as it leaves more for us smile

We managed a couple of ice-cream tubs full from a short walk on Sunday. It's very popular where we live so the bushes are stripped quite quickly. You have to find somewhere less popular or get there early in the day.

WilsonFrickett Wed 17-Aug-11 13:14:20

The first time I saw brambles for sale in a supermarket I was totally shock to the extent I took a pic to show DH. It's just ridic. I would never, ever pay for something that I can grab the next time I'm out on the cycle path. Can't believe someone wouldn't let a child try one either. Where did they think the supermarket gets them from?

[despairing emoticon]

JoandMax Wed 17-Aug-11 13:14:31

I've been blackberry picking in our local park this morning. There's masses but I've never seen anyone else picking....

Came home with loads and 2 happy but slightly purple children!

Blu Wed 17-Aug-11 13:15:54

CharityGirl - where is Streatham? Are there any left?

Imnotaslimjim Wed 17-Aug-11 13:16:05

I'm taking a tub when I shopping tomorrow, so me and the kids can get some. They're quite tart here but make a lovely addition to an apple crumble!

What an ignorant idiot that woman is! Ah well, more for you

Blu Wed 17-Aug-11 13:16:15

Sorry, where IN Streatham. I know where it IS!

peacemoon Wed 17-Aug-11 13:17:12

When my kids see them in the supermarket I tell them there is no way I am buying them when we can get them for free and they readily agree!
BTW in Scotland we call them brambles.

slightlymad72 Wed 17-Aug-11 13:17:54

We love blackberry picking, we are still getting through the jams and chutneys I made from last years crop. I even have 6 bottles of blackberry wine stashed at the back of my wardrobe. All of which where far cheaper than the supermarkets produce and taste far superior.

We also have lots of plum trees in our local area and go picking them, now that does produce lots of funny looks from people.

Too many people seem to believe that if it isn't wrapped in plastic then it must not be safe to eat.

festi Wed 17-Aug-11 13:18:24

my dd always picks blackberries when we pass a fruiting bush also loves going out with an ice cream tub and picking a load. There is many bushes on the way to and home from school.

I walk with 2 other mums and thier children and niether of them would let thier dds pick any and would give them a good telling off for it. I almost stopped dd from doing it after one commeneted on it with me, but you know what I thought no way why should my dd have to stop doing its not gross or disgusting at all.

twinklytroll Wed 17-Aug-11 13:20:06

My dp is like this, he will eat tinned fruit or most fruit from a supermarket but will not eat fruit or veg grown in our garden or that he has seen picked in front of him. I find it very odd and a little sad.
Our blackberries here are not quite ready yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now