Talk

Advanced search

To not want DD1 to go to a house where there is measles

(9 Posts)
b1uebells Tue 16-Aug-11 19:54:38

I know this sounds stupid and you will prob all think IABU but I don't think I am and want hope someone will agree with me!

DD1's good friend rung us saturday to see if DD1 could have a sleepover there sat night. Her friend was recovering from measles ( spots scabbed and no temp) but I was still a bit unsure about letting her go as DH never had has second MMR when he was a teenager and I didn't want DD1 to carry it back to the house and pass on! I said no we were busy and we arranged for girls to play this week.

DD1 was meant to be going there tomorrow and I rung to check it was still okay and she mentioned that her DS has it now with raging temp but it's fine for DD1 to go as he will be staying in his bedroom. hmm

I said I'd rather DD1 didn't go and explained about DH etc and she is really cross with me sad. I said we'd arrange something soon for girls but as we have a lot going on here atm I don't want DH ill for 2 weeks as her DD was.

AIBU to have cancelled tomorrow? I haven't offered to have her dd here either as she could still 'carry' the virus couldn't she? Or am I being neurotic?

Does anyone know how long we should wait before it would be 'safe' for girls to play together?

bumbleymummy Tue 16-Aug-11 20:01:00

Spots scabbed? I don't think measles has scabs - just a distinctive reddy brown spotty rash. Not sure why you are worried about your DH catching it but not your DD but I don't think you are being unreasonable to avoid it if you are worried for whatever reason.

cricketballs Tue 16-Aug-11 20:03:23

maybe op isn't concerned for DD as she has had the full MMR doses?

b1uebells Tue 16-Aug-11 20:03:46

DD has been injected so assumed she would be okay. But didn't want to risk it anyway incase she's not properly immune.

I did think maybe it was chicken pox when there was mention of scabbed spots but she ( friend's mum) assures me it's measles. hmm

EdithWeston Tue 16-Aug-11 20:05:05

NHS website says that measles is infectious for 4 days before the rash appears until 4 days after it's gone.

But it doesn't scab. Are you sure it is measles they have? Something has garbled somewhere along the line.

ragged Tue 16-Aug-11 20:09:17

Not enough people have experience of measles nowadays -- have they been keeping the children in the dark constantly? From what I can figure out, this is essential to make measles tolerable to the sufferer.

If it were me I would have not been put off because one way or another gotta get it over with (and you have done what you could by getting measles injex you could).
But I wouldn't blame you for being cautious, either.

FannyFifer Tue 16-Aug-11 20:15:54

I really don't think it's measles.

scurryfunge Tue 16-Aug-11 20:17:57

Are you sure it was measles? I wouldn't expose anyone to anything unnecessarily.

b1uebells Tue 16-Aug-11 20:22:51

I'm not sure it was measles no, only have her word for it, in reality, they could have anything!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now